[comp.sys.apple] Apple // System Utilities

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (06/13/89)

When I bought my //e in May 1986, I got an Apple // system utilities disk
(with my ProDOS software) that converted between DOS 3.3, Pascal, ProDOS, and
even CP/M!.  Even though Apple was no longer supporting DOS 3.3 at the time,
I believe it was possible to convert ProDOS files 'down' to DOS 3.3.

Is this no longer available?
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@{ius{3,2,1}.,}cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

bobl@pro-graphics.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) (06/14/89)

Network Comment: to #26 by pnet01!crash!pt.cs.cmu.edu!ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu!ralphw

I don't know if the conversion from Prodos to Dos 3.3 utility is available
anymore but I wonder why anyone would want to do that??

If you really have to, can't you just dig up one of your old Dos 3.3 utility
disks and do it?

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (06/14/89)

Network Comment: to #2398 by pnet01!crash!pt.cs.cmu.edu!ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu!ralphw

I thought Apple // System Utilities (latest version: 3.1 ?) just catalog-ed
and copied DOS, ProDOS, and Pascal files, and just catalog-ed CP/M files. I
don't think it will do any conversion... FILER (yuck!) was to do DOS <->
ProDOS file conversions.  Whether this software is still available, I think it
IS, and recently updated too.

Stephen Brown

ProLINE: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

----------->sometimes you feel like a nut
                      sometimes you don't<----------

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (06/15/89)

In article <8906140600.AA24123@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil writes:
>I thought Apple // System Utilities (latest version: 3.1 ?) just catalog-ed
>and copied DOS, ProDOS, and Pascal files, and just catalog-ed CP/M files. I
>don't think it will do any conversion... FILER (yuck!) was to do DOS <->
>ProDOS file conversions.  Whether this software is still available, I think it
>IS, and recently updated too.
>
>Stephen Brown

Not sure what you meant in the first sentence, but System Utilities will
definitely convert files between DOS 3.3, ProDOS, and Pascal.  I don't
know anything about CP/M support.

Actually, CONVERT will copy files between DOS 3.3 and ProDOS volumes; FILER
won't.  FILER and CONVERT have not been updated recently, as far as I know.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

kermie@pro-lep.cts.com (Prince Kermie) (06/15/89)

Network Comment: to #4477 by pnet01!crash!apple.com!dlyons

Copy II+ by central point software handles dos/prodos conversions quite nicely
as well as being a good set of utilities..I've seen it mail order for around
$26...

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/16/89)

Network Comment: to #8754 by pnet01!crash!pro-lep.cts.com!kermie

Although Copy II+ is a GREAT utility for dos 3.3/prodos conversions, it's file
selecting feature is pretty ancient.. and therefore limiting..

If you stick with Prodos, I'd go for something like Cat Doctor (or if you're
inside AppleWorks, FileMaster)

ch1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Chris Helferty) (06/22/89)

In article <32427@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>In article <8906140600.AA24123@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil writes:
>
>Actually, CONVERT will copy files between DOS 3.3 and ProDOS volumes; FILER
>won't.  FILER and CONVERT have not been updated recently, as far as I know.
>
> --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems

I've had some problems using the convert utility.  Particulary when
converting the un-EXECed Kermit install program from ProDOS to DOS 3.3.
You know... the five Basic programs that are distributed whenever a new
version of Apple Kermit comes out and they have to be Execed under DOS
3.3.  Well, after downloading these with my ProDOS Kermit and converting
them over to DOS 3.3 using CONVERT, I can never get the darn files to
exec all of the way.  They always freeze up and cause the disk drive
to whir forever on a VERIFY command withing the files.  BUT!  If I use
Chameleon to do the O/S transfer then I have no problem.  I've always
figured it had to do with the way <CR>'s and <LF>'s were handled.  This
particular Kermit example has happened before with other files, too.

				Jon M. Pearsall
				NASA Industrial Applications Center
                                University of Pittsburgh

fitzpatrick@obsess.dec.com (Dave FitzPatrick) (06/23/89)

In article <18522@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu>, ch1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
(Chris  Helferty) writes...

>I've had some problems using the convert utility.  Particulary when
>converting the un-EXECed Kermit install program from ProDOS to DOS 3.3.
>BUT!  If I use
>Chameleon to do the O/S transfer then I have no problem.  I've always
>figured it had to do with the way <CR>'s and <LF>'s were handled.  This
>particular Kermit example has happened before with other files, too.
>
>				Jon M. Pearsall
>				NASA Industrial Applications Center
>                                University of Pittsburgh
Actually, it seems there is a bug in CONVERT that causes it to trash long
files, ie: files that are long enough to need more than one track/sector list.
It doesn't link the T/S lists properly, so the EXEC gets lost part way
through.
--
   Dave FitzPatrick

(UUCP)       {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!obsess.dec.com!fitzpatrick
(Internet)   fitzpatrick%obsess.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
(BITNET)     fitzpatrick@obsess.dec.com
(BIX)        dave.f   (co-moderator of the 'television' conference)
(US MAIL)    DEC, 77 Reed Rd.  MS: HLO2-1/E11, Hudson, MA  01749

>In article <32427@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>>In article <8906140600.AA24123@crash.cts.com>
> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil writes:
>>
>>Actually, CONVERT will copy files between DOS 3.3 and ProDOS volumes; FILER
>>won't.  FILER and CONVERT have not been updated recently, as far as I know.
>
>I've had some problems using the convert utility.  Particulary when
>converting the un-EXECed Kermit install program from ProDOS to DOS 3.3.

I recommend you erase all copies of CONVERT as a means of avoiding trouble.
In addition to the failure to copy all of large files which someone else
mentioned, CONVERT does NOT account for the fact that ProDOS stores text
files in <normal> ASCII while DOS 3.3 stores in 'negative' ASCII (CONVERT
fails to 'flip' the 8th bit when it copies).  The Kermit EZ Install uses
some obscure code which 'fools' the normal operation of the EXEC processor
to accomplish exotic ends.  The short version is that the EZ Install will
NOT work properly if the 8th bit's cleared (i.e., 'normal' ASCII).

I can't imagine why anyone who owns an Apple 2 wouldn't find buying Copy
2+ a worthwhile investment.  Copy 2+, and apparently the Chameleon as well,
convert the 8th bit properly when transferring between DOS 3.3 and ProDOS
(to say nothing of copying the *entire* file).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

johnw@pro-carolina.UUCP (John Withers) (06/26/89)

Network Comment: to #3773 by obsolete!pitt!unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu!ch1%cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu

I've had the same problem.  Seems, that 'Convert' can't handle
the creation of DOS files greater than 128 sectors.  I the case of
the larger KERMIT text file, the output track/sector list pointed
to track numbers line $C3 (quite impossible on a Apple 5.25" drive).
The installation program would hammer away at the drive, apparently
because it was trying to access the far away tracks.

I solved this part of the problem by breaking the file in to about 3 pieces
of about 500 lines each (with a basic program) and transfering the smaller
files to DOS (no problem), and finally, reassembling them under DOS.

However, something didn't work.  The program built correctly (in its' opinion),
but it will not execute.

John Withers
johnw@pro-carolina

/* Insert usual disclaimers here */