[comp.sys.apple] .tar.Z

>     In reading your articles on the net I have come to the conclusion that
>you are will informed about the workings of UNIX and Apples. So I will but
>this question to you.

What I know about UNIX, I've 'picked up' reading net mail.  I haven't
access to a UNIX system here, and I've never used UNIX myself.

>     About a month ago I received a file from a UNIX system with the suffix
>of" .tar.Z ". Now I know what it stands for, but I have no access to a real
>UNIX's system. Is there away to undo the tar and compress of these file on
>a Apple computer? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Rick Bradley
>[ARPA] crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!rickb@nosc.mil

Perhaps someone reading comp.sys.apple (aka info-apple) has a program
that'll do it (I've copied my reply to the list in the hope that
something might turn up; I am also sending a copy to Larry Virden who
I KNOW is using a UNIX system <lwv27@CAS.BITNET>).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (06/26/89)

> >     About a month ago I received a file from a UNIX system with the suffix
> >of" .tar.Z ". Now I know what it stands for, but I have no access to a real
> >UNIX's system. Is there away to undo the tar and compress of these file on
> >a Apple computer? Any help would be appreciated.

I think there was a recent posting of the 'compress' utility to apple-l,
although only for the GS.  I didn't look at it closely to see if it was
actually the same algorithm as the Unix version (which the .Z represents).
Support for that would be a nice addition to ShrinkIt, the algorithm is
the modified lempel-ziv also used by Stuffit on the Mac (although Stuffit
adds an archive structure around it).  Tar is a BSD utility (Tape ARchive).
There is a compatible version on the Mac (made by the GNU Project).  There
is also a PD program on Unix that supports Tar and CPIO (the System V version)
called Pax (Portable Archive eXchange?, also an indicator of the fight in
Unix over which is the preferable format).  This program could probably be
ported to the Apple if someone wished to.

So.  Now you have all this information and still no help (unless you count
the Mac in your "Apple").  Your best bet is to find someone on a Unix system
near you and ask them to do it for you.  Given that you're on pro-europa,
why don't you rcp it to pro-angmar!nazgul and I'll unpack it for you and
send back the pieces.

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

aash@ms.uky.edu (aash) (06/27/89)

In article <8906260924.aa01054@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>     About a month ago I received a file from a UNIX system with the suffix
>>of" .tar.Z ". Now I know what it stands for, but I have no access to a real
>>UNIX's system. Is there away to undo the tar and compress of these file on
>>a Apple computer? Any help would be appreciated.

In my archive here, I keep stuff tarred (.tar) and
compressed (.Z).  tar is short for 'tape archive'
but is also handy for keeping a multitude of
related files all in one file.  Along with
compress, this is a very nice way to store things,
as it is space efficient and easy to upload,
download, and maintain.  Unfortunately, not
everyone has a Unix machine (yet), or
has the tar and compress programs.

If anyone has anything they would like to get,
but doesn't because of the file media format,
please let me know and i'll store it in ascii
or some other format and put it into a temporary
directory.

aash

--
aash@ms.uky.edu, aash@ukma.bitnet    |"It's important to me that you know you |
(FTP archive at 128.163.128.6)       | are free, 'cause I never want to make  |

friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (06/27/89)

In article <8906260924.aa01054@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

> >     About a month ago I received a file from a UNIX system with the suffix
> >of" .tar.Z ". Now I know what it stands for, but I have no access to a real
> >UNIX's system. Is there away to undo the tar and compress of these file on
> >a Apple computer? Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Rick Bradley
> >[ARPA] crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!rickb@nosc.mil

As far as I know, there is no way to uncompress and untar these files
on an Apple II.  The unix compress program uses a huge hash table
that would be very difficult to implement on an apple.  I also
don't know if anyone ported tar to the apple, though PD versions
do exist.

Gadi
--

uucp:   {ames,att,harvard,ucbvax,iuvax}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/27/89)

In article <Jun.26.16.29.34.1989.5185@porthos.rutgers.edu> friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) writes:
>The unix compress program uses a huge hash table
>that would be very difficult to implement on an apple.

The hash table is used only for compression, not decompression.
It's a standard LZW scheme, most likely using 16-bit codes.
An Apple IIGS should have enough room to uncompress it.
However, your best bet is to transfer the file to a real computer
and do the work there.

dougm@lakesys.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) (06/27/89)

In article <8906260924.aa01054@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:

>>     About a month ago I received a file from a UNIX system with the suffix
>>of" .tar.Z ". Now I know what it stands for, but I have no access to a real
>>UNIX's system. Is there away to undo the tar and compress of these file on
>>a Apple computer? Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>Rick Bradley
>>[ARPA] crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!rickb@nosc.mil
>
>Perhaps someone reading comp.sys.apple (aka info-apple) has a program
>that'll do it (I've copied my reply to the list in the hope that
>something might turn up; I am also sending a copy to Larry Virden who
>I KNOW is using a UNIX system <lwv27@CAS.BITNET>).

	A .tar.Z file is a file that has been 'tar'ed and compressed.  I
released my port of compress for the IIGS a little more than month ago
on comp.binaries.apple2, and mailed it to the archive server Apple2-l.
I do have a working detar for the IIGS, but I don't want to release it,
as it still is a little flakey, and I don't consider it up to par to
release to the whole world.  I'll send mail to rickb asking him if he
wants what I have for detar, and explaing its bugs, and non-features..
Both of these require a shell such as APW or Orca or ECP to run though,
since they are Unix type programs, and I use the shell all the time..
Of course Unix has both of these utilities handy.

--
UUCP: uunet!marque!lakesys!dougm			Compuserve: 70611,2215
INET: dougm@lakesys.lakesys.COM	   GEnie: D.MCINTYRE1		 ALPE: DougMac

In article <10458@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

> The hash table is used only for compression, not decompression.
> It's a standard LZW scheme, most likely using 16-bit codes.
> An Apple IIGS should have enough room to uncompress it.
> However, your best bet is to transfer the file to a real computer
> and do the work there.

Well, from what I undestand (and I am looking at the source) it is a
dynamic LZW scheme.  It starts out using 9-bit codes, and can go up to
12-16 depending on compiler flags (with 12 bits used on 16bit
machines).  It also has provisions for clearing the table, if it gets
too full.  Your probably right about the hash tables, though, I can't
really tell.  The code contains too many macros and #ifdefs

Gadi