[comp.sys.apple] QuickDraw Toolbox question

campbellb@gtephx.UUCP (Brian Campbell) (06/30/89)

Using the IIGS toolbox, how can one plot a single point (i.e. pixel) on the
SHR screen in a way that's analogous to the BASIC PLOT statement for lo-res,
and HPLOT for hi-res?  If there is a toolbox routine for this, I can't find it.
I have successfully plotted points by using the MOVETO and LINETO calls, by
drawing a one pixel line.  And I have also generated a 1 pixel size
rectangle using MAKERECT (not sure of the name off hand) and plotted it
with PAINTRECT.  This latter technique worked quite well in an application
where I wanted to have the user define the size of a "variable size pixel".
Anyway for single pixels, is there a better way?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/01/89)

In article <441fa838.f759@gtephx.UUCP> campbellb@gtephx.UUCP (Brian Campbell) writes:
>Using the IIGS toolbox, how can one plot a single point (i.e. pixel) on the
>SHR screen in a way that's analogous to the BASIC PLOT statement for lo-res,
>and HPLOT for hi-res?  If there is a toolbox routine for this, I can't find it.
>I have successfully plotted points by using the MOVETO and LINETO calls, by
>drawing a one pixel line.  And I have also generated a 1 pixel size
>rectangle using MAKERECT (not sure of the name off hand) and plotted it
>with PAINTRECT.  This latter technique worked quite well in an application
>where I wanted to have the user define the size of a "variable size pixel".
>Anyway for single pixels, is there a better way?

There's an easy way regardless of the size you want:  make the QuickDraw II
Pen larger with SetPenSize(horizontalSize,verticalSize).  Then draw with MoveTo
and Line(0,0) (or LineTo to the same place you already moved to), and you'll
get a rectangle of your pen size, not necessarily just a single pixel.

BTW, I think you're referring to SetRect, which takes a rectangle pointer and
four coordinates (x,y)(x,y) and stores them into the rectangle in (y,x)(y,x)
format.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.