[comp.sys.apple] English parsing of sentences

rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) (06/29/89)

Could someone explain how games like the Infocom adventures parse their
input to make sure it makes sense? Also, where would I look for further
info on this? (ie Grammar books, etc?) Thanks in advance.

Ryan Lanctot
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca>
or try
<rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bcc.cdn>

eeeee rrrrr
e     r    r
e     r    r
eeee[A+]rrr
e     r    r
e     r    r
eeeee r     r

aash@ms.uky.edu (aash) (07/02/89)

In article <341*rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca> rdlanctot@instr.okanagan.bc.ca (Ryan Lanctot) writes:
>Could someone explain how games like the Infocom adventures parse their
>input to make sure it makes sense? Also, where would I look for further
>info on this? (ie Grammar books, etc?) Thanks in advance.

A friend of mine just graduated with a Linguistics
degree, and in the process of learning Pascal, she
wrote a sentense generator, which was easy to turn
backwards into a parser.  You can send a note to this
account if you want more information.

aash

--
aash@ms.uky.edu, aash@ukma.bitnet    |"It's important to me that you know you |
(FTP archive at 128.163.128.6)       | are free, 'cause I never want to make  |