[comp.sys.apple] Speaking of Quality Computers

ulf@pro-generic.cts.com (Ulf Danus) (06/21/89)

Network Comment: to #2537 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET

        Did any notice that they are selling 5.25 double sided drive?  They
claim that it is fast and can store twice as much as the normal drive.  Has
any one used it?  I am considering buying it since I don't have an external
drive for my //c and I only have the built-in drive and a genuine Chinook hard
drive.

                                  Send e-mail to:
                                 _________________
                                |                 |
                                | ulf@pro-generic |
                                |_________________|

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (06/25/89)

Network Comment: to #7480 by obsolete!pro-angmar!pro-generic!ulf

The drive they sell, if I remember correctly, is just a drive with two heads
on it.  You don't have to turn the disk over to access the other side.  That's
all there is to it.  It's not made so that you can access one contigious block
of data.  It just saves you the hassel of removing the diskette, turning it
over and reinserting.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv
uucp: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com
DIALCOM: 164:NVC100
Northern Virginia Apple Users Group >pro-novapple< 703-671-0416/300-2400 baud

saw@pro-abilink.UUCP (Alan Woods) (06/26/89)

Network Comment: to #5711 by obsolete!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv%nosc.mil

If memory serves correctly...
...according to a rep from QC that presented the drive to an Apple User
meeting in Dallas last month, the drive does have two heads, and it can be
used as two volumes, similar to "flippies".  The only problem with this is
that the second side will spin in reverse when placed in a drive upside down
the way most flippies are used.  But there is a switch on the front that
allows the drive to format both sides as one volume of about 280k.  The OS
must be patched I think, but it will see it as a larger 5" drive.

 Alan Woods
 ProLine: pro-abilink!saw
    UUCP: crash!pro-abilink!saw
    ARPA: crash!pro-abilink!saw@nocs.mil
    INET: saw@pro-abilink.cts.com
  Bitnet: saw%pro-abilink.cts.com@nosc.mil
    ICBM: N32-26.485 W99-42.035 WGS-72  <--- (Thanks, Vic!:)

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (06/27/89)

Quality Computer's disk drives are definitely double-sided.  They have a
320K capacity, and they automatically use both sides of the disk (40 tracks
per side).  They also automatically detect disks formatted for 35 tracks and
will read and write them without any problems.

The switch on the front which switches between the heads will not allow
you to access both sides of a flippie disk without flipping it -- the
switch changes heads, but it doesn't make the drive motor go the other way.
Sure would be nice if it did, though!

/\    Jerry Kindall     JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL    GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

dseah@wpi.wpi.edu (David I Seah) (06/28/89)

In article <8906250736.AA14091@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-charlotte!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #7480 by obsolete!pro-angmar!pro-generic!ulf
>
>The drive they sell, if I remember correctly, is just a drive with two heads
>on it.  You don't have to turn the disk over to access the other side.  That's
>all there is to it.  It's not made so that you can access one contigious block
>of data.  It just saves you the hassel of removing the diskette, turning it
>over and reinserting.

Somethings fishy.  Assume that you are using a disk that you normally flip
over to work with the other side (something like AppleWorks on 5.25").
Isn't that second side going to have the datastream recorded in the opposite
direction relative to the first side?

SIDE ONE 	[head]
data direction	------>
				Apple II style, flippy disk
data direction  <------
SIDE TWO

SIDE ONE	[head]
data direction  ------>
				IBM-PC style, double sided disk.
data direction  ------>
SIDE TWO	[head]

It would seem for this drive to work, it would have to reverse the disk
direction everytime it flipped sides, or somehow be able to decode Apple's
disk format backwards.  It probably is just like the IBM style drive with a
ProDOS driver.

Dave Seah | O M N I D Y N E  S Y S T E M S - M |   Internet: dseah@wpi.wpi.edu
          |  "User Friendly Killing Machines"  |    AlinkPE: AFC DaveS
          |  A Division of SLO, International  |     Bitnet: dseah@wpi.bitnet

ulf@pro-generic.cts.com (Ulf Danus) (07/04/89)

Network Comment: to #2699 by pnet01!crash!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv

So Dave, tell me now, do you think that data written by the Double Sided Drive
can be read by a normal //c built-in drive?

                ProLine:        ulf@pro-generic
                UUCP:           crash!pnet01!pro-generic!ulf
                ARPA:           crash!pnet01!pro-generic!ulf@nosc.mil
                INET:           ulf@pro-generic.cts.com