[comp.sys.apple] A E Datalink

dale@pro-colony.UUCP.UUCP (09/30/87)

If you would like to call a ProLine system that is being run with a DataLink
modem, the number is: 1 214 370 7056.  (300/1200 - 24 hrs).

The DataLink comes with a modified version of Don Elton's TIC (Talk is Cheap)
program.  I think everybody knows how good a program that is.  The help file
that is currently part of the TIC program was originaly written for the
DataLink modem.  Give Pro-Colony a call and I can probably answer any
questions you might have about the DataLink modem.

        dale - SysOp pro-colony

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
INET: pro-colony!dale@pro-sol.cts.com
proline: [ pro-carolina  pro-party  pro-sol ] dale@pro-colony
pro-colony :-> 1 214 370-7056 - 300/1200 - 24 hrs

arf@chinet.chi.il.us (Jack Schmidling) (06/24/89)

apple

I have a 2E with an AE Datalink using vt52 or IBM 3101 emulators that came
with Dataling software.

I am having problems using vi editor on unix.  It obeys most of the commands
but doesn't work well enough to use on line.

It brings back stuff I previously deleted and most importantly, it starts at
the top of the screen that is already full of text.

Is anyone getting proper results from these emulators?

Is it me, my system or bad software?

I called AE and they were not much help.

The Amateur Radio Forum (arf)

APTC1%MKVAX1@msus1.BITNET (Verbal masterbation in the body of beauracratic nonsence) (06/27/89)

I'd say that you should  use Proterm.  It's the best thing out there....
I know, it's not much help, but if you have a bad emulation driver, there's
not a whole lot you can do but re-write it, or patch it.  I haven't had any
problems with proterm's emulations at all.

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET

delton@pro-carolina.UUCP (System Administrator) (06/27/89)

Network Comment: to #3866 by obsolete!att!chinet!arf%ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Send me the mod dates of your termcap files.  They may not be up to date.

UUCP: [ sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pro-carolina!delton
ARPA: crash!pro-carolina!delton@nosc.mil
INET: delton@pro-carolina.cts.com

Pro-Carolina: 803-776-3936 (300-2400 baud, login as 'register')
     US Mail: 3207 Berkeley Forest Drive, Columbia, SC  29209-4111

jstich@pro-avalon.cts.com (Jonah Stich) (06/27/89)

Network Comment: to #9265 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!chinet!arf
>I have a 2E with an AE Datalink using vt52 or IBM 3101 emulators that came
>with Dataling software.
>I am having problems using vi editor on unix.  It obeys most of the commands
>but doesn't work well enough to use on line.
>Is anyone getting proper results from these emulators?

I've been having the same with my IIgs. I just got an account on a UNIX system,
and have been unable, unfortunatley, to do anything that needs to do positning
on the screen (eg. vi, various text games, etc.) I would GREATLY appreciate
any help someone can give me with this, as I would MUCH rather do my UNIXing
from home than driving all the way down to work just to check my mail.

Jonah

-- jstich@pro-avalon

UUCP: crash!pro-nsfmat!pro-avalon!jstich
ARPA: crash!pro-nsfmat!pro-avalon!jstich@nosc.mil
INET: jstich@pro-avalon.cts.com

hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HARTKOPF JEFFREY M) (06/27/89)

In article <8906270917.AA03513@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-avalon!jstich@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #9265 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!chinet!arf
>>I have a 2E with an AE Datalink using vt52 or IBM 3101 emulators that came
>>with Dataling software.
>>I am having problems using vi editor on unix.  It obeys most of the commands
>>but doesn't work well enough to use on line.
>>Is anyone getting proper results from these emulators?
>
>I've been having the same with my IIgs. I just got an account on a UNIX system,
>and have been unable, unfortunatley, to do anything that needs to do positning
>on the screen (eg. vi, various text games, etc.) I would GREATLY appreciate
>any help someone can give me with this, as I would MUCH rather do my UNIXing
>from home than driving all the way down to work just to check my mail.

I had the same problem for a while.  However, it turns out that if you
set your terminal emulation to "Soroc" on both DataTerm and the Unix system
you are using, this will work much better than VT52, although still not as
well as VT100.  For example, when moving up a document in vi, instead of
scrolling line by line Soroc scrolls by about half a page.  Also you will have
to use the hjkl keys instead of the arrow keys (in vi, at least).  To set
the terminal emulation in DataTerm, press ClosedApple-E and choose "Soroc".
To set it on your Unix system, type "set term=soroc".  Should work fine.

As someone recommended earlier, if this still isn't good enough, you might
try ProTERM which has VT100 emulation that works great.

Jeff Hartkopf

Internet:
hartkopf@tramp.Colorado.EDU

>Network Comment: to #9265 by pnet01!crash!ucbvax.berkeley.edu!att!chinet!arf
>>I am having problems using vi editor on unix.  It obeys most of the commands
>>but doesn't work well enough to use on line.
>
>I've been having the same with my IIgs. I just got an account on a UNIX system,
>and have been unable, unfortunatley, to do anything that needs to do positning
>on the screen (eg. vi, various text games, etc.) I would GREATLY appreciate
>any help someone can give me with this, as I would MUCH rather do my UNIXing
>from home than driving all the way down to work just to check my mail.

Kermit-65's VT-100 seems to do the job for most folks who prefer public
domain commware to ProTerm :-)

* Internet from the Columbia University CUNIXC System:

Effective August 18, 1988, the Kermit files are available on host
CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix).  The IP host number
is 128.59.40.130.  You may get files from it with anonymous FTP.  The Kermit
files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.
You can also send mail to Info-Kermit and Info-Kermit-Request at this address.

The process is roughly like this: FTP to CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, login
anonymous (or ftp), any password (we prefer that you use "user@host" for the
password, specifying your userid and hostname, for our statistics), and then
CWD (or CD) to kermit, which contains a file read.me, which you should read.
Then CWD (or CD) to a, b, c, d, or e and GET or MULTIPLE GET (or MGET) the
files you want.  Note that file names are lowercase, and you must refer to
them that way on CUNIXC, even though all the Kermit documentation lists the
filenames in uppercase!

Since CUNIXC is a heavily-used machine, please try not to FTP files from it
during peak hours.  There are presently no formal restrictions, so please
don't overburden the system.  If the response is very slow, cancel your
session and try again later.

You'll need APP385.1 and APP385.2  Also the file APPLE.DOC can be helpful :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

keith@pro-colony.UUCP (Keith Foster) (07/06/89)

Network Comment: to #7384 by pnet01!crash!bloom-beacon.mit.edu!obsolete!pro-carolina!delton