[comp.sys.apple] Home-Brew Tape Drive Available!

bobl@pro-graphics.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) (06/28/89)

From: Dr. Ken (Kenneth Bucholtz PhD)
Date: 06/26/89 22:11:26

               Vanilla SCSI Tape Backup System for the Apple //

   As most of you know by now, I assembled the first vanilla SCSI hard disk
drive for the Apple // last year, and since that time, these have become quite
popular, with alot of online articles appearing after my initial article, as
well as a few magazines articles (inCider, the upcoming issue of The Apple
IIGS Buyer's Guide).

   Its now time for the Vanilla SCSI Tape Backup System!

   About 3 months ago, I found a vendor selling brand new 3M SCSI tape
drives for $299.  I put Meddle onto this, and he purchased one
for his Mac - and its running just fine!  I purchased one even though, at
the time, there was absolutely NO software to run this unit on the Apple //
line.  I also put a friend of mine onto this deal, and he, too, purchased
one of these tape units with the intentions of writing the backup/restore
software needed.  For the past 2 months or so, we've been testing his
product, and the current version - 0.5 - is working just fine.  He has
tonight decided to finally release it to the public for the price of $50.

   I am proud to be able to unveil for the first time anywhere the
availability of HDTAPE, the format/backup/restore software needed to
use the 3M SCSI Tape Drive in the Apple // line.

   I'm also proud to say that the author of HDTAPE is Tim Grams.  If you
have a Vanilla SCSI Hard Drive, Tim should be familar to you - he is also
the author of HDFORMAT, the hard drive formatting software which is VERY
popular.  Tim is a user here at WTC, and you can see his posts here in
The Apple SIG.

   If you're interested in obtaining a copy of HDTAPE, send a check made
payable to Tim Grams c/o the following address:

   Tim Grams
   P.O. Box 462283
   Garland, Tx  75040

   We're working on an article on the Vanilla SCSI Tape Backup System &
once that's done, it'll be available for people on WTC.  In the meantime, if
you need any additional information, contact either me or Tim at WTC.

                                       Dr. Ken, SYSOP

[The Washington Towne Crier BBS - 201-689-3649 - 300/1200/2400]

*************

NOTE: You can also reach Dr. Ken at the following addresses:

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!drken            |     ProLine: drken@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!drken@pro-graphics.cts.com    |
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!drken@nosc.mil   |

--Bob

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D

ernies@pro-generic.cts.com (Ernie Spiteri) (07/07/89)

Network Comment: to #2862 by pnet01!crash!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-graphics!bobl

Your mention of the 3M tape drive caught my attention. I picked up a 3m tape
transport unit with the cat. # 80-9700-0140-2 on a sticker on the back. With
no specs on the unit I'm wondering if this is the unit you used. It has a 2 x
13 connector on the back and an 8 pin connector on the side (both males).

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!ernies
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!ernies@nosc.mil
INET: ernies@pro-generic.cts.com