[comp.sys.apple] Apple SCSI Cards

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (07/04/89)

Thanks, Matt, for the interesting report on the SCSI situation, but I think
that a major question that a lot of "other" drive owners would like to know
is, "Can I purchase an Apple SCSI card and then use it to gain the full
capabilities of GS/OS?"  If that is too simple of a question let me get into
some specifics.

o       May I take an Apple SCSI card, use it to partition my CMS card
        in the Apple partitioning scheme and then have access to the
        full 80 megs of my hard drive through partitions while not
        using extra slots?

o       Can I use the Apple low-level utilities for diagnostics on my
        CMS drive?

o       Can I still daisy-chain my other SCSI devices into the Apple
        card?

o       Why does Apple not use a chaining scheme standard in most all
        other SCSI devices, for the Apple II when they do for the Mac?

Thanks

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth

In article <8907032336.AA01632@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth@nosc.mil writes:
>Thanks, Matt, for the interesting report on the SCSI situation, but I think
>that a major question that a lot of "other" drive owners would like to know
>is, "Can I purchase an Apple SCSI card and then use it to gain the full
>capabilities of GS/OS?"  If that is too simple of a question let me get into
>some specifics.
>
>o       May I take an Apple SCSI card, use it to partition my CMS card
>        in the Apple partitioning scheme and then have access to the
>        full 80 megs of my hard drive through partitions while not
>        using extra slots?

I've seen it work.

You seem to have missed one of the basic points of my post:  although most
SCSI devices *should* work on the Apple II SCSI Card if they work on the
Macintosh, Apple can't promise that they will.  Only the manufacturer can know
for sure, or someone who knows an awful lot about Apple II SCSI implementations
spending a lot of time with the drive.

That's it.  That's as far as can be said.  Any "will XXX drives work" questions
can only be answered definitively by the manufacturer, or empirically by
someone who's used them.

>o       Can I use the Apple low-level utilities for diagnostics on my
>        CMS drive?

What low-level utilities are these?  If you mean "low-level" in the Brian
Willoughby sense of the word, I don't know that there are any.  If you mean
low-level in the ADU/Partition sense, yes.

>o       Can I still daisy-chain my other SCSI devices into the Apple
>        card?

Who said you couldn't?

>o       Why does Apple not use a chaining scheme standard in most all
>        other SCSI devices, for the Apple II when they do for the Mac?

Again, who said we didn't?  On my IIgs here at work, I have a 20 MB SCSI drive
in front of an Apple CD-SC both on one SCSI card.  If I run across a CD with
more than one ProDOS partition, I won't be able to get to the second one (since
P8 only allows two devices per slot except in slot 5, and mine's not in slot
5), but up to 32 partitions are available under GS/OS 3.0.

>Thanks
>
>Todd South
>
>--
Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."