[comp.sys.apple] 2 questions re: Vulcan

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (06/19/89)

First question is:  Has anyone given a thought to Applied Ingenuity's
newest ad in the latest issue of A+/InCider.  In my opinion, it's
a childish cheap shot at Applied Engineering.  I have no interest in
AE other than the fact that they're one of the biggest forces for
innovation in Apple II-dom, but I'm somewhat annoyed that AI decided
to produce this ad.  For those who haven't seen it, it ridicules AE
for producing an internal hard drive (ie Vulcan) which AI seems to
claim an exclusive market to.  Even if I were in the market for that
product, I'd have to think twice about that company's attitude.

Question #2: goes out to people who have had problems with the AE
PCTransporter (myself included) and GS/OS 2.0 (on SD 4.0).  Since
AE is now in the hard disk market, does anyone know if they've solved
their polling problems under SD 5.0?  For the 3.5 as well as the 5.25?
It's bad enough that it constantly polls the 3.5, but I can't even use
it for 2:1 interleave disks currently.

And now on a different topic, did anyone write an AppleFest report this
time around?  I'd love to see a copy even two months later...

                   -- Todd

p.s. 35.1.1.43 (PC5) will be up to date by July 4th weekend.
     Just got the new Tech Notes today and hope to have them out
     sometime later in the day.

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

hzink@pro-nucleus.UUCP (Harry Zink) (06/20/89)

Network Comment: to #1689 by Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU

Concerning the AI spoof of the AE Vulcan ad, I have to say that I was very
amused.  A lot of attention to detail has gone into the creation of this ad,
and it is pretty much right on.  let's not forget that AI had an internal
drive for the GS way before AE even announced theirs, and that AE's drive
looks *remarkably* similar to the AI product (no, there isn't just one way to
make an internal hard drive).  Except for being about $200 more expensive, I
see no difference at all between the AI and the AE product.

Personally, if I were in the market for an internal drive for my GS and I saw
the two ads, I would definitely choose the AI product.  Not because of the way
their ad is styled, but simply based on a price performance ratio.  Just
because AE has been around forever and has been a big innovator doesn't mean
that their products are the 'nec-plus-ultra' of apple products.  In many
instances their products are overpriced and underperforming.  In others, they
are innovative leaders.  Let's just not get carried away and elevate them to
god-dom (which they are not).

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/20/89)

Network Comment: to #8834 by pnet01!crash!ub.cc.umich.edu!Tabakal

Actually, I liked the AI ad... people have got to be able to take a JOKE..
where's your sense of humor.. lighten up a bit..

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (06/21/89)

>First question is:  Has anyone given a thought to Applied Ingenuity's
>newest ad in the latest issue of A+/Incider?  In my opinion, it's
>a childish cheap shot at Applied Engineering.  ...

Well, I don't know about you, but I own an Inner Drive; I've had one for over
6 months.  I was rather surprised to see the Vulcan prototype at Applefest.
It looked IDENTICAL to the AI Inner Drive (even the shape was exactly the
same)... except AE's case was black.  There was a joke circulating that AE
didn't even have a prototype (that it was in Inner Drive in disguise).

Well, you can imagine that the folks at Applied Ingenuity weren't thrilled to
death about Applied Engineering stealing their idea.  After all, it is a
rather nice drive; I really like mine.

Actually, I think the ad is quite amusing.  We need some laughs in this
industry... everyone takes things too damn seriously.

Lynda

prl3546@tahoma.UUCP (Philip R. Lindberg) (06/22/89)

From article <3195613@ub.cc.umich.edu>, by Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU:
> First question is:  Has anyone given a thought to Applied Ingenuity's
> newest ad in the latest issue of A+/InCider.  In my opinion, it's
> a childish cheap shot at Applied Engineering.
> For those who haven't seen it, it ridicules AE for producing an internal
> hard drive (ie Vulcan) which AI seems to claim an exclusive market to.

I wouldn't take it so seriously.  I got a great laugh out of it.  A half a
dozen of us sat down with both pictures looking for similarities and found
their had tried very hard to make it an accurate "spoof".  (Did you notice
the "etch-a-sketch" on the shelf instead of the "o-scope" at AE?)
I have a great deal of respect for AE products.  In fact almost all of the
cards I have in my GS were made by AE.  But anybody who can't laugh at
themselves, is taking life too seriously.  (I doubt AE will be "up in arms"
about it.)

> Even if I were in the market for that product, I'd have to think twice
> about that company's attitude.
>                    -- Todd

I am in the market for a hard drive, and I will purchase one based on the
product, not their sence of humor.

|	     The Apple //'s will live forever!!		  |
|  Phil Lindberg	    snail mail: 13845 S.E. 131 ST |
| INET: prl3546@tahoma.UUCP		Renton, WA 98056  |
| UUCP: ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!prl3546	  |

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (06/22/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!ub.cc.umich.edu!Tabakal (Unknown User)

> First question is:  Has anyone given a thought to Applied Ingenuity's
> newest ad in the latest issue of A+/InCider.  In my opinion, it's
> a childish cheap shot at Applied Engineering.  I have no interest in

I don't know. I got a big kick out of it the third time I saw it. The first
two times I glanced at it and thought it was an AE ad and the folks at Applied
Engineering were finally going to loosen up a bit.

After I saw it was a spoof on AE's Vulcan drive I really enjoyed it.

paul@pro-europa.cts.com                       |   "Open the pod bay door HAL"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul   |  "Sorry Dave, I can't do that"

In article <8906200236.AA26408@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-nucleus!hzink@nosc.mil writes:
>Network Comment: to #1689 by Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU
>
>Concerning the AI spoof of the AE Vulcan ad, I have to say that I was very
>amused.  A lot of attention to detail has gone into the creation of this ad,
>and it is pretty much right on.  let's not forget that AI had an internal
>drive for the GS way before AE even announced theirs, and that AE's drive
>looks *remarkably* similar to the AI product (no, there isn't just one way to
>make an internal hard drive).  Except for being about $200 more expensive, I
>see no difference at all between the AI and the AE product.

Well, one difference is that the Vulcan drive can read Dos 3.3 plus Pascal
1.3 and CP/M and I think something else, while the InnerDrive can only read
ProDOS (and GS/OS).

Dos 3.3 (the only one of the extra ones I'm really interested in) isn't
worth $200 more to me...But it probably would be worth $50 more to me, when
I eventually buy a hard drive.

Are both the InnerDrive and the Vulcan drive only sold through the manu-
facturer? I've not seen either in mail order ads, but it's too early for the
Vulcan one probably.

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu

>their had tried very hard to make it an accurate "spoof".  (Did you notice
>the "etch-a-sketch" on the shelf instead of the "o-scope" at AE?)

How about the 'A+ R.I.P'?

Also: Elvira instead of MM?

Timing the 'Vulcan' with an hour-glass (is that too subtle)?

>I am in the market for a hard drive, and I will purchase one based on the
>product, not their sence of humor.

What about price?  The 20 & 40 Mbyte Vulcan's cost $150 more than the
Applied Ingenuity drives of the same size.  What technical advantages does
the Vulcan offer for the extra $$$?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

bobl@pro-graphics.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) (06/25/89)

Network Comment: to #186 by pnet01!crash!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-nucleus!hzink
> Personally, if I were in the market for an internal drive for my GS and I saw
> the two ads, I would definitely choose the AI product.  Not because of the way

>From my observations of the above mentioned ads, I find the AI ads to be
cheaply produced.  Even the old ads never left a very good taste in my mouth.
Advertizing gives a potential buyer thier initial impression about a company.
AI's advertizments being cheap and childish left me with a feeling that this
is a company run by adolescents on a small budget.  The photographs and
production standards as well as the layouts are so cheap looking that I
wonder if they even have the money to maintain a staff for customer support
and service.  I doubt it.  Thier latest spoof on AE is just as cheap and
childish as ever.  Also, the ads always show the heads of the company doing
something.  Seems to me that these guys are on some sort of ego trip.  I could
care less about the president of a company climbing a rock-face!!  I want to
see the product..not this jerk!

To be perfectly honest with you, I find that an internal HD for the //gs is a
limiting device.  Who cares if it's fast etc?  I certainly don't.  I would
much rather have an external drive, one that I can use with another computer
should the day or need arise.  Making a device that is GS specific limits the
usefullness of the product and I just couldn't see myself spending money for
"less" of a product.  Besides, I can build my own external SCSI drives for
alot less than these people are selling thier internals for..AI or AE!

--Bob

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D

nudall@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brian Dall) (06/25/89)

I didn't get to see the ad mentioned above.  Could someone please post
the actual prices?  Most postings just say that AE's prices are higher.

Thanks,

Brian Dall

--
Brian Dall
UUCP: uunet!ndsuvax!nudall

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (06/26/89)

The Vulcan drives are currently $150 more expensive than the InnerDrives,
but if the past is any indication, Applied Engineering will soon let the
mail-order companies at them, and you can expect the price differential
to disappear.

/\    Jerry Kindall     JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL    GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

>>From my observations of the above mentioned ads, I find the AI ads to be
>cheaply produced.  Even the old ads never left a very good taste in my mouth.
>Advertizing gives a potential buyer thier initial impression about a company.
>AI's advertizments being cheap and childish left me with a feeling that this
>is a company run by adolescents on a small budget.

A novel suggestion: "Companies should charge higher prices so they can afford
to run more respectable looking advertisements" :-)

Before you light your flame, I DID twist what you said (attention getting
huh), but the point is AI charges $150 less than AE for (apparently)
equivalent hardware - the savings have to come from somewhere.

1 - fewer and cheaply produced ads.
2 - lower paid (and perhaps less classy) executives.
3 - less service and customer support.

Neither 1 nor 2 should bother you much because they have no material impact
on the utility of the product.  Possiblity 3 is another matter IF it is true.
Is the probable difference in support between the two companies worth $150
up front (that's a healthy percentage of the price of AI's 20 Mbyte unit)?

In the absence of any other information (comparison of others' experiences
with the two vendors, for example) which you buy from (assuming you want
an internal at all) depends on how risk averse you are - gamblers will go
with AI while the compulsively cautious will patronize AE.

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (06/27/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.in.info-apple: 25-Jun-89 Re: 2 questions re: Vulcan Jerry*
> *E Kindall@ucbvax.b (338)*
> The Vulcan drives are currently $150 more expensive than the InnerDrives,
> but if the past is any indication, Applied Engineering will soon let the
> mail-order companies at them, and you can expect the price differential
> to disappear.
> /\    Jerry Kindall     JerryK@cup.portal.com
>   \/  Death to COBOL    GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry
Inner Drives can be bought thru several mail order houses,
and they are consequently pretty cheap now. If everything goes well
with the thing, I think I'm gonna buy one of the things.

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (06/27/89)

Network Comment: to #2722 by pnet01!crash!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-graphics!bobl

  The advertisements show what AI really is! A company run out of a garage.
They are irresponsible to a certain degree, by making fantasic claims about
9600bps modems for $300, and internal //c drives. I called AI once, as soon as
they announced their first hard drives. They were just changed the mechanism
they were using, changing there prices and shipping dates... just on a whim.

  I would definately buy the AE product, if it just a $100 or so more. Would
you buy an asian clone of an Apple //e or a real Apple //e for just a few
hundred more?

ProLine: sysop@pro-generic        |DDN :crash!pnet01!pro-generic!sysop
InterNet:sysop@pro-generic.cts.com|UUCP: hplabs!crash!pnet01!pro-generic!root

OS/2 - does the 2 mean that they goofed the first time and are trying again?

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/28/89)

Network Comment: to #9050 by pnet01!crash!andrew.cmu.edu!jm7e+

I'm curious as to what Mail Order houses are carrying the InnerDrive

I've only seen it sold direct.

dale@pro-colony.UUCP (System Operator) (06/28/89)

Network Comment: to #7368 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET

One other reason for AI having lower prices is that they do not have any
dealers, as such, they do not have any dealer margins built into their prices.

Preferred Computing is selling the AE 20 meg for $519.00, the 40 meg for about
$649.00 and the 100 meg for around $1379.00.

Dale

 uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale                     pro-colony
 arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil          (214) 370-7056
 proline: dale@pro-colony                            3/12/2400 baud - 24 hrs

buzz@tippy.uucp (06/28/89)

=>And now on a different topic, did anyone write an AppleFest report
=>this time around?  I'd love to see a copy even two months later...

I'd like to see that report too.  I gained access to the Net several
weeks after the Fest, so if there was one, I missed it.  I'd appreciate
it if some one would mail me a copy, or post it if enough other people
are interested.

Thanks in Advance

[No snappy signature yet -- still working on it]

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (06/30/89)

In article <8906281019.AA11155@crash.cts.com>, mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) writes...
>Network Comment: to #9050 by pnet01!crash!andrew.cmu.edu!jm7e+
>

>I'm curious as to what Mail Order houses are carrying the InnerDrive
>
>I've only seen it sold direct.

Check the latest issue of A+/InCider.  I noticed two mail order houses
selling the InnerDrive 40Meg for $600 +/- a few bucks.

Chris Shatara    shatara@memit.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!memit.dec.com!shatara
		--or-- shatara%leddev.dec@decwrl.dec.com

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (07/02/89)

Subject: Re: 2 questions re: Vulcan

>From: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano)
>
>  The advertisements show what AI really is! A company run out of a garage.
>They are irresponsible to a certain degree, by making fantasic claims about

Seems to me that Apple started out in garage several years ago as well,
making fantastic claims about personal computers and not needing a mainframe
to work on a computer in the schools.

Kurt
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                             |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
Kurt Miles                   |
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ..... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                    ------

bobl@pro-graphics.UUCP (Bob Lindabury) (07/11/89)

Network Comment: to #357 by pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET

Wouldn't you know, there would have to be a Prof. of Marketing on this
newsfeed!  B^)

Your points are well taken.