[comp.sys.apple] Sys Disk 5.0 and ProSel

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (07/06/89)

So how come Prosel does not recognize the newer file formats for the system
disk 5.0?  Actually this is a retorical question.  Any ideas as to when Glen
will rewrite Beachcomber.32 to work with sys5.0?  Such a pain to have it work
on 4.0, but then 4.0 did not have the $c7 type files (cda's).

--
UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj

JDA@NIHCU.BITNET (Doug Ashbrook) (07/07/89)

> So how come Prosel does not recognize the newer file formats for the system
> disk 5.0?  Actually this is a retorical question.  Any ideas as to when Glen
> will rewrite Beachcomber.32 to work with sys5.0?  Such a pain to have it work
> on 4.0, but then 4.0 did not have the $c7 type files (cda's).

What version of Beachcomber.32 are you using?  There have been some
updates (I will have to wait until I get home to see which version I
have).  This would be a significant problem.  Anyone know if there is
a version that works with system disk 5.0?

J. Douglas Ashbrook                                   (301) 496-5181
BITNET: JDA@NIHCU                              <-- preferred address
INTERNET: JDA@CU.NIH.GOV     or     jda%nihcu.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
National Institutes of Health, Computer Center,   Bethesda, MD 20892

-+- Remember.  If some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some MS-DOS,
JUST SAY NO!

In article <8907060636.AA05517@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.mil writes:
>So how come Prosel does not recognize the newer file formats for the system
>disk 5.0?  Actually this is a retorical question.  Any ideas as to when Glen
>will rewrite Beachcomber.32 to work with sys5.0?  Such a pain to have it work
>on 4.0, but then 4.0 did not have the $c7 type files (cda's).

Uh...wait a minute...

*My* version of ProSel 16 (7.0) came with an 8-bit version which includes
a version of BC 32 that does handle extended files.  I don't know if it does
it right or not, since I don't know what Glen did and we never published
the storage type spec for extended files (until now; it's included in July
Technical Notes for the use of utilities like BC 32 *ONLY*).

And type $C7 files are CDevs, for the Control Panel *NEW* Desk Accessory.
CDAs were and still are file type $B9.

>--
>UUCP: {nosc, cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
>                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.MIL
>INET: tomj@pro-pac.CTS.COM - BITNET: pro-pac.UUCP!tomj@PSUVAX1

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

tomj@pro-pac.cts.com (Tom Jenkins) (07/09/89)

>Subject: Re:  Sys Disk 5.0 and Prosel
Doug Asbrook responds to my post:

>> So how come Prosel does not recognize the newer file formats for the
system
>> disk 5.0?  Actually this is a retorical question.  Any ideas as to when
Glen
>> will rewrite Beachcomber.32 to work with sys5.0?  Such a pain to have it
>> work on 4.0, but then 4.0 did not have the $c7 type files (cda's).
>
>What version of Beachcomber.32 are you using?  There have been some
>updates (I will have to wait until I get home to see which version I
<have).  This would be a significant problem.  Anyone know if there is
>a version that works with system disk 5.0?

I'm using Beachcomber.32 ver 3.5, and I get an "Storage Type" error.
And then Matt responds to my question concerning "Forked Files"...

>The $C7 filetype is *not* the reason you're having trouble deleting the
>file.  (If you don't believe me, change the filetype and try to delete it
>then.  Still no dice.)
>
>The difficulty is the STORAGE TYPE.  The files in question happen to have
>storage type "extended", meaning that they have a resource fork.  ProDOS 8
>doesn't know about this storage type, so any application that uses the MLI
>"DESTROY" call won't be able to delete it.
>
>Applications like Copy II Plus, which go right to the block level, would
need
>to be updated to be able to be able to deal with extended files.
>
>You can easily delete extended files under GS/OS.  Just use the Finder
(which
>is actually fun to use under 5.0, IMHO), APW, ORCA, ECP16, etc.

Well gosh...thanks for the information Matt.  I guess I knew that (shure ya
did Tom!)   Now I just can't wait for the manufacturers to update their
software!  And yes, the Finder is palatable now.  Even with the TWGS, but I
wish I had 10Mhz!

--

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/12/89)

In article <8907090856.AA21517@crash.cts.com>
pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tomj@nosc.mil quotes me several levels deep:

>>The $C7 filetype is *not* the reason you're having trouble deleting the
>>[...]
>>The difficulty is the STORAGE TYPE.  The files in question happen to have
>>[...]
>>You can easily delete extended files under GS/OS.  Just use the Finder
>(which
>>is actually fun to use under 5.0, IMHO), APW, ORCA, ECP16, etc.
>
>Well gosh...thanks for the information Matt.  [...]

Hey!  It WASN'T MATT...it was ME!  (And *this* is me, too.)  (Still.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.