[comp.sys.apple] Beginner in Assembly

neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.UUCP (Neil Haldar) (07/04/89)

     Any assembly gurus out there want to help a newcomer to the assembler
world?? I just got my copy of _Programming the Apple IIgs in Assembly
Language_ by David Eyes and Ron Lichty. My Toolblox Reference Vols (I and II)
should arrive any day now from APDA. Now my question is this... are there ahy
other books I should get before diving into 65816 programming?? Or anything I
should watch out for??
     By the way, I already have Orca/M and the Orca/Desktop. Thanks!
  GEnie: N.HALDAR
  UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d
  ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d@nosc.mil
  INET: neilhncc1701d@pro-cyon.cts.com
"Only human arrogance would assume the message must be meant for man."
                                              - Mr. Spock, Star Trek IV

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/08/89)

In article <8907060856.AA01161@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sat!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d@nosc.mil writes:

>     Any assembly gurus out there want to help a newcomer to the assembler
>world??

Well, I'm no guru (I started programming in assembly about a year ago) but
I'm going to chip in my two cents worth anyway.

>I just got my copy of _Programming the Apple IIgs in Assembly
>Language_ by David Eyes and Ron Lichty. My Toolblox Reference Vols (I and II)
>should arrive any day now from APDA. Now my question is this... are there ahy
>other books I should get before diving into 65816 programming?? Or anything I
>should watch out for??

Well, you have everything that you really need to start programming. That
is the book I started with, and I'm alread 1/1000th of the way to being
a proficient programmer.

I would however, recommend getting the Source Code Sampler, Volume 1 from
APDA (Sorry,I don't have my APDALog with me right now, so I can't get you
the order number or the price. E-mail me if you want more info.) It has
thirteen programs, all demonstrating useful things. Whenever my program
isn't working, its a good bet that I can look in the Source Code Sampler
and they'll show me how to do it correctly. Hope I've been of some help.

Jonah

kodali@portia.Stanford.EDU (VAS KODALI) (07/08/89)

Since we seem to be on the topic, can anyone tell me how to do
floating point calculations from assembly?  I'm trying to calculate
fractions in this one subroutine, and this is a BIG stumbling block.
I got around the required deadline by jumping into BASIC and having it
handle the FP calculations, but I view this as a kludge, while it did
turn out to be an elegant one in the end.

Where do I look?

------
Chan

kodali@Portia.stanford.edu

----

lexter@pro-abilink.UUCP (Sam Robertson) (07/11/89)

Network Comment: to #5929 by obsolete!pnet01!pro-cyon!neilhncc1701d%nosc.mil

Look into the Programmers Introduction to the Apple IIgs, pretty good for the
Assembly stuff.  Just don't mess with the Pascal part of it, more confusing
than it should be!!!!
Also, look into the Updates of the Toolbox manuals.  I haven't gotten them and
have had no real problems, but I hear there is some real important info there!

Also, take a look at Tech Notes that you may or may not receive from Apple,
good up to date (not if you frequent this place!!!) information about updates
and tech info!

Sam
Applelink:  Lexter               || Sam Robertson   Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
GENIE:      SL.Robertson         || 1357 Santos           Sysop (Saw)
Proline:    Lexter@Pro-Abilink   || Abilene Texas 79605   (915)673-6856
INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com || UUCP: Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter
            ARPA:  Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
        " Tuesday Morning, please go away, I'm tired of you.
           What have I got to lose. "      --   CSN&Y

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (07/14/89)

In article <3425@portia.Stanford.EDU> kodali@Portia.Stanford.EDU (VAS KODALI) writes:

>..., can anyone tell me how to do
>floating point calculations from assembly?  I'm trying to calculate
>fractions in this one subroutine, and this is a BIG stumbling block.
>I got around the required deadline by jumping into BASIC and having it
>handle the FP calculations, but I view this as a kludge, while it did
>turn out to be an elegant one in the end.
>
>Chan

This may not be the answer you were looking for, but...

Try using fixed point math that is tailored to your need for accuracy.
I usually use 24 bit numbers, and "pretend" that there is a decimal
point after the 16th bit.  Then when you need the whole part of the
number, you just access the most significant 16 bits.  Of course, this
means that you'll have to write custom divide routines which take into
account your particular fixed point notation, but if you don't like
relying in the BASIC routines, then you probably shouldn't use the divide
routine in the Monitor area of the Firmware.

Now I did say that I usually use 24 bits.  At one point, this wasn't
enough, because the rounding errors (in my graphics output) were very
apparent.  So I just increased my notation to 32 bits, 16 whole and 16
fractional part.  Again, I had to rewrite my divide routine, but it was
a good exercise to be able to understand codeing fast 6502 divide
routines anyway.

p.s. The multiply routines also need to be tailored to the notation used,
but I find multiply routines to be an order of magnitude easier than
divide!

p.p.s. If speed is a factor, you'll really like fixed point!

Brian Willoughby
UseNet/UUCP     ...!{sun|uw-beaver|uunet}|microsoft!brianw
Bitnet          microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
                brianw@microsoft.UUCP