[comp.sys.apple] GS Clock

pete@pro-europa.cts.com (Peter Creath) (07/14/89)

Okay, I'm writing a program, here's how:

 FOR     : Any Apple II with 128k, 80 col, and ProDOS 8
 LANGUAGE: AppleSoft BASIC
 WITH    : Lots of & commands in BASIC, and lots of ML routines

  I need:

     The addresses to PEEK and the values of them for the IIgs.
        (i.e.:  PEEK(-1088) on an enhance //e is 224.  unenhanced is 234.)

     An ML routine to read the IIgs clock WITHOUT the TOOLBOX and
     WITHOUT & commands...

     \\ Peter \\

Peter Creath                       | UUCP: crash!pro-europa!pete
13319 Conifer                      | ARPA: crash!pro-europa!pete@nosc.mil
Houston, Tx 77079                  | INET: pete@pro-europa.cts.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/17/89)

In article <8907140356.AA09227@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!pete@nosc.mil writes:
> FOR     : Any Apple II with 128k, 80 col, and ProDOS 8
> LANGUAGE: AppleSoft BASIC
> WITH    : Lots of & commands in BASIC, and lots of ML routines
>  I need:
>     The addresses to PEEK and the values of them for the IIgs.
>        (i.e.:  PEEK(-1088) on an enhance //e is 224.  unenhanced is 234.)
>     An ML routine to read the IIgs clock WITHOUT the TOOLBOX and
>     WITHOUT & commands...

You can peek the regular ProDOS locations for the date and time.  This won't
get you seconds, but it will work on any machine running ProDOS.

There is *no* way to reliably identify a GS just by PEEKing.  You need to
JSR $FE1F after setting the carry flag.  If and only if the carry comes back
cleared, you are on a GS.  See Apple II Miscellaneous Technical Note #7:
Apple II Family Identification for more information.

There is guaranteed way to read the GS clock without using the toolbox (why
don't you want to?).  Even the built-in ProDOS clock driver for the GS
calls the toolbox to read the time.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.