[comp.sys.apple] SmartPort Call

jamesh@pro-colony.UUCP (James Howell) (07/15/89)

        When I make a call to the SmartPort dispatcher, I make a call
to $C503 + ($C5FF).  This means the call can be in the range $C503 to $C602.
Can I ASSUME that this call will always be only to page $C5?  If I can, it
will save me approx. 8 bytes of code for my call which is important since I am
making the call via an APW UltraMacro.
                                - Jim

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/17/89)

In article <8907150556.AA20740@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-colony!jamesh@nosc.mil writes:
>When I make a call to the SmartPort dispatcher, I make a call
>to $C503 + ($C5FF).  This means the call can be in the range $C503 to $C602.
>Can I ASSUME that this call will always be only to page $C5?  If I can, it
>will save me approx. 8 bytes of code for my call which is important since I am
>making the call via an APW UltraMacro.
>                                - Jim

Yes, you can assume that the SmartPort entry point is in the same memory page
as the ProDOS entry point.  (My reasoning on this is that the ProDOS entry
point has to have at least two bytes of code at it, and $CnFE and $CnFF have
special meaning for ProDOS devices.)

On the other hand, you shouldn't assume that slot 5 contains a SmartPort
device, or that other slots don't contain SmartPort devices.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.