[comp.sys.apple] APW and System Disk 5.0

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (07/17/89)

To any or all of Apple's 5.0 beta testers, I'm curious about whether
Apple is recommending that you stay away from GS/OS and APW (as they
did with SD 4.0).  If not, did you need to upgrade the interfaces
and macro packages?  I'm just wondering what the free upgrade is
really going to cost.

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/17/89)

In article <3286564@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>[...] I'm curious about whether
>Apple is recommending that you stay away from GS/OS and APW (as they
>did with SD 4.0). [...]
>
>    Todd A. Bakal

WHAT?  I used APW and System Software 4.0 for a long time.  I've been
using APW and System Software 5.0 for quite a while, too.  There are
some obvious *cosmetic* problems (with SHOW UNITS, for example), but
it *works*.  Who told you it didn't?

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (07/18/89)

In article <33206@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>WHAT?  I used APW and System Software 4.0 for a long time.  I've been
>using APW and System Software 5.0 for quite a while, too.  There are
>some obvious *cosmetic* problems (with SHOW UNITS, for example), but
>it *works*.  Who told you it didn't?

	Actually, APW is incompatible in one respect: it can't read
	non-ProDOS file systems, which leads me to believe they are
	going to the block level and doing their own directory
	manipulations, instead of using GET_DIR_ENTRY.

Cary Farrier

| #include "All.Standard.Disclaimers"|