[comp.sys.apple] APPLEWORKS GS

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (10/30/88)

For those of you that are interested, CLaris tells us that AppleWorks GS
just went "Golden Master" last week, and should be in the stores sometime
the first week of November.  The beta copy is still a little buggy,
but the release we're told is very stable.  A quick rundown:

The wordprocessor:  Very nice.  More or less like a MacWrite (or more
properly, MultiScribe GS) for the IIgs.  I can't compare them for
feature pound for pound until I sit down with both of them longer.

The draw program:  Wonderful!  Basically, if you've seen Canvas on the
Macintosh, its alot like it.  Both object oriented drawing (in color)
and bitmapped graphics are supported.  Bitmaps are treated like
individual "objects", unlike the layered approach with SuperPaint.

The PageLayout section:  Print Shop, watch out!  This gem has most of
the features that PageMaker 2.0 has, and actually works!  If you can
ignore the fact that TIFF and scanner support are absent, its a
great program.  It is also capable of importing text and graphics
from most popular formats.

The spreadsheet:  This supports color charts, rows that are different
sizes by merely dragging, and many advanced features.  I don't think
we get macros in this version, though, but I could be wrong.

Database:  All the graphics you wanted, as alot of it looks suspiciously
like FileMaker II with an AppleWorks twist.  Graphics in the
database are now supported, as well as more new features.

Communications:  Haven't seen this section, except that it is supposed
to recognize "most popular modems". If it works with my Apple Cat, I'll
be happy.  No word on VT-100 yet, but I'll find out.

And all this comes for $299 and works on a IIgs.  Now the bad news.
Parts of this program are sloooowwww! (In fact, the orginal Appleworks
does some operations faster).  It comes on three 3.5inch disks, and
takes about 3 and a half minutes to load.  Take heart, this wasn't
nearly as bad as the 6+ minutes that the beta took!  But it only
takes 45 seconds on an Apple HD20 hard drive, so if you don't have
a hard drive, you should seriously think about one.  Also, it will only
run on a 1.25 megabyte machine, and GS/OS is mandatory.  As soon as
I get get back to a IIgs in the office to see more of it (mine is
still on order), I'll give back a more detailed survey.

And one more feature which I forgot to mention.  "Hotpasting" allows
you to copy or cut something out of one software module and
instantly paste it into another section.  So spreadsheet charts can
be pasted into word processing documents or pagelayout or the
draw package, database stuff can go into the spreadsheet or pagelayout,
communications into word processing, or anyway you like.  Also, the
package comes with a 80,000 word dictionary and thesaurus.

--Rick Ewing
  Apple Atlanta

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (11/02/88)

Got my upgrade info too.  (shame their doesn't seem to be a way to save
a little money because I have BOTH appleworks and multiscribe.)

Anyway, does anyoneknow the answer to these questions --

a) can you import files from any other wordprocessor formats (e.g.,
wordperfect) than just appleworks (and, presumably, ASCII)

b) when text is printed out is it printed out as a bit-mapped image or
is it printed out with the built-in character set of the printer ( if
the font & size etc.  match one of the fonts of the printer)

c) is there any easy way of adding definitions of other printers than
the three supported (Epson, Imagewriter II, Laserprinter)

d) how big a document can the wordprocessor handle?

e) how many lines can headers/footers have?

f) footnotes?  endnotes?  any way of including characters that your
printer supports but AWorks GS doesn't?  macros?

g) someone else asked a similar question to this, havne't seen an answer
-- does Appleworks look most like an upgrade to appleworks, to
multiscribe, or really as something brand new?

TMPLee@dockmaster.arpa

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (11/02/88)

Joe,

Dissapointing in what way?  I'd like to know what other people are thinking.
My comments are only from a first glance.

--Rick

suem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Sue McKinnell) (11/02/88)

> g) someone else asked a similar question to this, havne't seen an answer
> -- does Appleworks look most like an upgrade to appleworks, to
> multiscribe, or really as something brand new?

I called Claris yesterday and asked if the current AppleWorks keyboard
commands will work with AWGS.  They said yes (!).  I suggested that
they add this to their advertising, as most people I've talked to
about AWGS are assuming no.  Anyway, it looks to me as if AWGS might
really be worth the upgrade and I plan to send for it.  I was quoted
a December release date.
I did not think to ask if AWGS also supports the Multiscribe command
set, but I'm guessing that it will.
--
Sue McKinnell    ...!att!ihlpf!suem	IH 6N311      x5313
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.  Therefore all

V112PDL5@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (11/03/88)

    I too received an upgrade pamphlet (and sent it in). There are a
few questions I would like to know. Due to a system error I haven't
been able to receive info-apple and I apologize for any redundancy.

    - Appleworks GS requires 1.25 megabytes, GSWorks when announced
      supposedly only required 768K. How large is the "desktop" on
      a "minimal" 1.25 megabyte machine.

    - I have a ~76K database file from old Appleworks, when loaded
      in to the AWGS database how much growth will occur. The same
      question for a 50k wordprocessing document.

    - In the pamphlet I received it stated that up to 14 windows
      could be open at once. In a preview of GSWorks in Incider
      it stated that 2 word processing, 2 database, 4 spreadsheet,
      4 graphic documents, the pagelayout window and the tele-
      communications window could be opened. Are there still
      restrictions on the number of word processing (and for that
      matter any other) windows other than the maximum of 14.

   - The pamphlet also stated that telecomunications operations
     can be done in the background. Does this include file transfer?
     When operating in the background does it disable all file
     handling operations? Printing? How does it handle DAs requiring
     GS/OS?

   - To what extent does it utilize the features of GS/OS? I assume
     to a high degree because of the buddy, buddy relationship
     between Apple & Claris.

   - In the phamplet it stated that fields could be defined as numeric,
     text, static text, and picture. Is there a static picture field
     also? When in list mode how does it handle picture fields? Are
     picture fields always loaded into memory, can they be read from
     disk? What kind of operations can be performed on pictures any-
     way? Invert? Scroll? Nothing?

   - Does the 80,000 word spelling checker work with just the word-
     processor or can it handle, the database for instance? Do you
     have to copy it to the word processor to make it work?

   - What terminal emulations does the telecommunications module
     support? Can more be added by copying a definition file of
     some sort?

   - What file formats can it save to? Appleworks old? Text? $C0-1,
     Multiscribe GS? Have whole new formats and filetypes/auxtypes
     been utilized?

   - Is there an option to print text in draft mode as ASCII text
     rather than graphics?

   - How long will it take for them to send me it? The last
     conversion from 1.3--->2.0 took in excess of 4 months.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who responds in any way...
The memory questions are particularly important.

p.s. The pictures in the adds lead me to believe that the word-
     processor is pretty much a multiscribe GS clone.

sloan@tel.inrs.CDN (David Sloan) (01/08/89)

I just recently started using AppleWorks GS. I thought that I'd document
some bugs that I have noticed.

1) Communications

   - When you "paste" text from the clipboard the screen is not always updated
     properly (usually a few characters are lost) although the characters sent
     to the comm port seem correct.

   - If you move the mouse while the display is scrolling you will get an
     imprint of the current cursor shape.

2) Graphics

   - If you rotate a line (or rectangle and perhaps other objects) the length
     of the line is changed. This is particularly annoying if you a making a
     drawing to scale such as a floor plan.

3) Word Processing

  - If you run AppleWorks GS with only one 3.5" drive (as I sometimes do)
    and you run the spelling checker, you eventually get a dialog box
    with 'Please insert disk "/". Entering Cancel allows you to continue
    properly, however, this extra unnecessary prompt is annoying.

My first experience with AppleWorks GS (and the II GS itself) has
generally been very positive. The package is very Mac-like (is there a higher
complement?).

     David Sloan

jsaker@zeus.unl.edu (Jamie Saker) (03/09/89)

Robert Brown writes...

>AppleWorks GS kind of sucks. I am not blaming the machine for that, I am
>blaming the people who wrote it. I still prefer Apw 2.0. Apw GS takes too long
>to load, to print a four to five page document take about 30 minutes. Thats
>because it prints in graphics mode. It would seem to me that if Claris was
>supporting the Apple // line they would release more than one product. You
>guys seem to have your heads stuck in the Mac. Not that I don't like the Mac,
>I just don't see much else than Apw comming out for the //s. It also
>overpriced for what you get, but I still like the program.

    It seems like you seem a bit confused as to what you want in a program.
If you want all the features and power Appleworks GS offers, then you
either have to put up with the shortcomings the machine has (namely
SPEED and memory) or do something about it (Transwarp GS).

    If speed and simplicity was your concern, then why not stick with
Appleworks 2.0 or another word processing program? It flys on the gs...

    I agree, however, that Claris seems to have rushed the product a bit.
We waited 15 minutes for it to print to the laserwriter and it crashed right
when it started printing (Aarg!).  Next try it worked (it wasn't our setup).

    You can't blame them for trying to write a powerful package for a
severely restricted machine.

        COME ON APPLE....GIVE US SOME SPEED!!!!

>Robert Brown
>BitNet: RXBROWN@UALR
>APPLELINK: ROBPHD

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>  Jamie Saker                Bitnet --- JSAKER@UNOMA1       <>
<>  Communications/            Internet - JSAKER@zeus.unl.edu <>
<>  Journalism Major           GEnie  --- J.SAKER1            <>
<>  Photojournalist,           RFO/ONR  - #1 (402)558-5182    <>
<>  Daily Nonpareil            USMail --- 817 N. 47th St #7   <>
<>  Council Bluffs, IA                    Omaha, NE  68132    <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

MAIL>

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/10/89)

TO Jamie Saker....

  I am not confused, I know exactly what I want from a program. I like some
of the features that ApwGS has, and I am not complaining about them. My main
point was his (krazy@claris.com) comment about so much support for the apple //
line when they have only relased one program for each machine. I had to make
comments on ApwGS, because he brought it up, and thats the only program out
for the GS. I like all the features, but I could be wrong maybe the speed of
printing does depend on the processor. I still want more.

RXBROWN@UALR

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/10/89)

From article <8903091301.aa10030@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC"):
> TO Jamie Saker....
>
>   I am not confused, I know exactly what I want from a program. I like some
> of the features that ApwGS has, and I am not complaining about them. My main
> point was his (krazy@claris.com) comment about so much support for the apple //
> line when they have only relased one program for each machine. I had to make
> comments on ApwGS, because he brought it up, and thats the only program out
> for the GS. I like all the features, but I could be wrong maybe the speed of
> printing does depend on the processor. I still want more.

The reason you aren't seeing any more software development for the IIgs is
that the GS is not a great machine to develop for.  If you want to use the
new tools, you have to compete with their speed and their bugs.  If you
don't, you may as well just write for the //e and make sure your program
is GS-compatible.

So, what do you want, specifically, from software developers?  What kinds
of programs would you like to see on the GS, and with what kind of
performance?  If you have SPECIFIC ideas, find a developer and TELL them.

The speed of AWGS printing is the result of two things.  One, it runs in
graphics mode.  It takes longer for the ImageWriter to output bit images
than to output text.  Second, it goes through Apple's printing software.
One of the programmers here has been working on that part, and has made
some significant improvements.

That may not be much consolation.  It's still going to take a long time
to print a page of text compared to AW Classic.

--
Jeff Erickson     \  Internet: krazy@claris.com          AppleLink: Erickson4
Claris Corporation \      UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!krazy

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (03/13/89)

TO KRAZY....

Well with a faster GS or Transwarp GS we will get better software. I would
like to see a faster GS from Apple With Transwarp GS pushing it faster, or
package a Transwarp GS with every GS sold from now on. Even though that would
leave us previous owners out in the cold. A new GS is my first choice.

Robert Brown
RXBROWN@UALR
ROBPHD <-- APPLELINK

krazy@claris.com (Jeff Erickson) (03/14/89)

From article <8903122154.aa08211@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC"):
> TO KRAZY....
>
> Well with a faster GS or Transwarp GS we will get better software. I would
> like to see a faster GS from Apple With Transwarp GS pushing it faster, or
> package a Transwarp GS with every GS sold from now on. Even though that would
> leave us previous owners out in the cold. A new GS is my first choice.
>
> Robert Brown

I agree.  It would be nice to see brand-spanking-new GS's running at 7MHz,
with lots of memory on board (at least 1.25 MB (enough to run AWGS :-)).

Apple almost certainly isn't going to package TransWarps with every new GS.
After all, they don't package TransWarps with every new //e....

--
Jeff Erickson     \  Internet: krazy@claris.com          AppleLink: Erickson4
Claris Corporation \      UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!krazy
415/960-2693        \________________________________________________________
____________________/              "I'm so heppy I'm mizzabil!"

BX667312@CCNYVME.BITNET (07/02/89)

Hi..I'm having trouble using the spelling checker on Appleworks GS 1.0 version2
. It seems that when I invoke the "check spelling" command from the menu nothin
g happens. Or, sometimes, I get a prompt that says "open dictionary file". Even
tually, the outcome is the same and that is, the checker doesn't do its job..Pl
ease advise and thanks in advance.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/06/89)

In article <8907021130.aa07701@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> BX667312@CCNYVME.BITNET writes:

   Hi..I'm having trouble using the spelling checker on Appleworks GS 1.0 version2
   . It seems that when I invoke the "check spelling" command from the menu nothin
   g happens. Or, sometimes, I get a prompt that says "open dictionary file". Even
   tually, the outcome is the same and that is, the checker doesn't do its job..Pl
   ease advise and thanks in advance.

Well, I can't tell you exactly what your problem is, but I can offer some
suggestions.  First, some history: the spell checker in AWGS is exactly the
same spell checker that was used in MultiScribe GS, including all of its
problems, bugs, shortcomings, inaccuracies, etc.  In the AWGS framework
especially, there is little to no error handling.  If it can't handle it, it
gives up.  Some of these things are as follows:  Lack of a User.Dictionary
file (the spell checker doesn't create it automatically... & if one can't
be found, any type of spell checking will fail), any GS/OS errors: file not
found, I/O error, directory structure damaged, disk not found, etc.

That's what's behaviourally wrong with the spell checker, off the top of my
head.  They are known, may be fixed at some point in time, but no promises.
Things should work correctly off of the original disk configuration that
was shipped.  You might a copy of the original User.Dictionary or even
re-installing the program (w/ dictionary files).  If you have a problem
running off of the original configuration, then that's something I'm
interested in hearing about.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/07/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Jul5205952@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>In article <8907021130.aa07701@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> BX667312@CCNYVME.BITNET writes:
>
>   Hi..I'm having trouble using the spelling checker on Appleworks GS 1.0 version2
Well, while we're on the subject, I've noticed AWGS picking up words that ARE SPELLED CORRECTLY!!! Any explination for this one? My guess would be that there are control codes that have somehow gotten into the document (due to my nimble fingers :) and that these are giving the spellchecker problems, but somehow this dosen't seem very likely to me...

Jonah

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/07/89)

In article <6775@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> jonah@amos.UUCP (Jonah Stich) writes:
>Well, while we're on the subject, I've noticed AWGS picking up words that
>ARE SPELLED CORRECTLY!!! Any explination for this one?

Did it miss "explination"?

It is impractical for spelling checking software to be 100% accurate,
either in detecting errors or in passing valid spellings.  The reasons
should be obvious if you think about it.

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/08/89)

In article <10505@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <6775@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> jonah@amos.UUCP (Jonah Stich) writes:
>>Well, while we're on the subject, I've noticed AWGS picking up words that
>>ARE SPELLED CORRECTLY!!! Any explination for this one?
>
>Did it miss "explination"?

Okay, so I can't spell.... That's why I need the spell checker to work
properly

>It is impractical for spelling checking software to be 100% accurate,
>either in detecting errors or in passing valid spellings.  The reasons
>should be obvious if you think about it.

Ya, but when it picks up thirty odd words in a ten page document, saying
they're spelled wrong when they aren't, then suggesting the EXACT SAME WORD
as a replacement, I kinda' begin to suspect that something is wrong.

Jonah

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (07/08/89)

>In article <WOMBAT.89Jul5205952@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey)
> writes:
>>In article <8907021130.aa07701@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> BX667312@CCNYVME.BITNET writes:
>>
>>   Hi..I'm having trouble using the spelling checker on Appleworks GS 1.0
> version2
>Well, while we're on the subject, I've noticed AWGS picking up words that ARE
> SPELLED CORRECTLY!!! Any explination for this one? My guess would be that
>there
> are control codes that have somehow gotten into the document (due to my nimble
  fingers :) and that these are giving the spellchecker problems, but somehow
> this dosen't seem very likely to me...
>
>Jonah

  Remember that spell checkers only check works in their dictionaries, which
are not complete.  The problem really isn't with the spell checker, it's
with the dictionary.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

jonah@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (07/11/89)

In article <8907072017.aa27749@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
>>Well, while we're on the subject, I've noticed AWGS picking up words that ARE
>> SPELLED CORRECTLY!!! Any explination for this one? My guess would be that
>>there
>> are control codes that have somehow gotten into the document (due to my nimble
>  fingers :) and that these are giving the spellchecker problems, but somehow
>> this dosen't seem very likely to me...

>  Remember that spell checkers only check works in their dictionaries, which
>are not complete.  The problem really isn't with the spell checker, it's
>with the dictionary.

No, this dosen't explain the problem, as when I ask the spell checker to
suggest correct spellings, it gives me THE EXACT SAME SPELLING. It's not that
thspell checker dosen't know the words, just that it's incorrectly flagging
them as spelled correctly.

Jonah

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (07/12/89)

Network Comment to message from pnet01!crash!sdcsvax.ucsd.edu!amos!jonah

I have another problem with AWGS.  I downloaded a bunch of fonts off of
AppleLink, and I wanted to get a hardcopy printout of them.  I typed in the
name of each of the "A" fonts and made each name appear in its font.  But when
I try to print it, it either crashes or prints garbage all over the page.  I
even tried only using about 6 different fonts in the same document, and this
also messes up.  Does AWGS have bug or is the print manager screwed up?  I
tried it with both sys disk 4.0 and 5.0.

-Brian

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (07/18/89)

From article <8907170856.AA14510@crash.cts.com>, by orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone):
> Network Comment to message from pnet01!crash!sdcsvax.ucsd.edu!amos!jonah
>
> I have another problem with AWGS.  I downloaded a bunch of fonts off of
> AppleLink, and I wanted to get a hardcopy printout of them.  I typed in the
> name of each of the "A" fonts and made each name appear in its font.  But when
> I try to print it, it either crashes or prints garbage all over the page.  I
> even tried only using about 6 different fonts in the same document, and this
> also messes up.  Does AWGS have bug or is the print manager screwed up?  I
> tried it with both sys disk 4.0 and 5.0.

There were several problems here, some caused by AWGS and some by Apple.
There were many font manager bugs that have been fixed for System Tools 5.0,
and there were quite a few bugs fixed for AWGS 1.0v2.  5.0 is not available
yet, but 1.0v2 is.

I am not having any problems printing documents with 20 or more different
fonts now.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.