[comp.sys.apple] Coming back to SD 5.0 and APW

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (07/17/89)

> >[...] I'm curious about whether
> >Apple is recommending that you stay away from GS/OS and APW (as they
> >did with SD 4.0). [...]
> >
> >    Todd A. Bakal
>
> WHAT?  I used APW and System Software 4.0 for a long time.  I've been
> using APW and System Software 5.0 for quite a while, too.  There are
> some obvious *cosmetic* problems (with SHOW UNITS, for example), but
> it *works*.  Who told you it didn't?
>
>  --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems

Come on, Dave.  I never said that it wouldn't work.  I glad that it
does, but I'm merely going on Apple's recommendation.  That is,

    "We recommend running APW itself under System 3.1 or System 3.2.
     APW can be run under GS/OS, but you should not attempt to execute
     operating system features new to GS/OS from the APW shell;
     unexpected results may occur."

             -- Guide to APW Update Release v.1.0.2, pg. 2

Of course you can, and I do, use APW under GS/OS.  That wasn't my point.
What I wanted to know is the later part of the query about if there
are new macros and equates that will be needed, or if something more
substantial is in the works.

Maybe you shouldn't jump so quickly.  I stand by my original question.
If I want to play with new features (like resources), will I be able
to stick with my current package (with a small upgrade), or do I need
to move to other utilities mostly?

>    My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

Obviously.    {#include standard/apologies/for/nastiness}

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/18/89)

In article <3287814@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Come on, Dave.  I never said that it wouldn't work.  I glad that it
>does, but I'm merely going on Apple's recommendation.  That is,
>
>    "We recommend running APW itself under System 3.1 or System 3.2.
>     APW can be run under GS/OS, but you should not attempt to execute
>     operating system features new to GS/OS from the APW shell;
>     unexpected results may occur."
>             -- Guide to APW Update Release v.1.0.2, pg. 2

Gee...isn't that interesting?  (Well, at least to me.)  I actually never
noticed that paragraph before.

The warning is broader than it needs to be.  The kind of thing that will
get you in trouble is using the $E100B0 entry point for QUITting from
EXE files, since APW 1.0 doesn't intercept that.

>[...] What I wanted to know is the later part of the query about if there
>are new macros and equates that will be needed, or if something more
>substantial is in the works.
>[...]
>If I want to play with new features (like resources), will I be able
>to stick with my current package (with a small upgrade), or do I need
>to move to other utilities mostly?

The product manager for APW has said publicly that there will be a new
version of APW.  Before that, there will be nifty APW tools (for copying,
compiling, and decompiling resource forks, for example) available from
APDA.  I bet there will be revised macros available then too, but you
don't *need* the revised macros--you can easily write the ones you need
yourself if you have documentation for the new features you want to use.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.