[comp.sys.apple] PFS data on apple 2 disks

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (07/19/89)

I been asked by a person in Bogata, Columbia who to move PFS data to dbase
on a PC. They have about 10 years worth of stuff and they are planning to rekey
the information but it seems like a waste of time.

The problem:

I have never used an Apple 2 so I have no idea how the disk format works.

I have no idea how PFS file stores their information.

Possible solution:

If we can get it into ascii format we may be able to send it out the printer
port and thru a null cable.

--Thom

Sirald@cup.portal.com (Andrew Lionel Dalrymple) (07/20/89)

Hello,

	Yes, there is a way to switch PFS data to ascii format.
I personally haven't done it - yet, but I plan to (as my system
just recently died and I do need that data still).  Get the
following software:

		The BRIDGE makes DATA INTERCHANGE FILE (DIF)
				 SEQUENTIAL TEXT FILE
				 DIRECT PRINTER OUTPUT
				 APPLE WRITER 2 TEXT FILE

		It runs just like PFS, so you search the data
		the way your used to.

		48K 2,+,e
		DOS 3.3
		one or more drives
		PFS: FILE

		SINGLE COPY	$59.95
		TWO OR MORE	$38.95

		SUN MICROSYSTEMS, INC.
		POB 1388
		FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 33302
		305-486-6115

	Hope this will be of help to you and others who are
in the same situation.  Good luck.

Cordially,

   A. DALRYMPLE		sirald@cup.portal.com
			sun!portal!cup.portal.com!sirald

STEVENS@seneca.BITNET (07/20/89)

From:   INFO-APPLE@BRL.MIL
CC:
Subj:   PFS data on apple 2 disks

From:   EDU%"dewey.soe.berkeley.edu!thom@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU"
>I been asked by a person in Bogata, Columbia who to move PFS data to dbase
>on a PC. They have about 10 years worth of stuff and they are planning to rekey
>the information but it seems like a waste of time.
>The problem:
>I have never used an Apple 2 so I have no idea how the disk format works.
>I have no idea how PFS file stores their information.
>Possible solution:
>If we can get it into ascii format we may be able to send it out the printer
>port and thru a null cable.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>--Thom Gillespie

Thom:
 I have done almost the exact procedure you have suggested.
I put a serial card in slot one and simply printed the Information to a PC
over a serial cable. I used Xtalk on the pc BUT almost any software would do.
good luck
Murray
Stevens@Seneca