[comp.sys.apple] IS KERMIT3.85 USABLE WITH A GS?

stern@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffrey a stern) (07/19/89)

Kermit 3.85 won't accept input from the GS keyboard (except the escape
sequence!), and it won't allow me to "set keyboard 2gs".  How do I get
around this?  --Jeff Stern.
|                                                                       v    |
|           stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet                          |    |
|           osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP                          |:->{===%|
|                                                                   `   /    |
|                                             "Eppur si muove."        @     |
|                                                       - Galileo.           |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

>Kermit 3.85 won't accept input from the GS keyboard (except the escape
>sequence!), and it won't allow me to "set keyboard 2gs".  How do I get
>around this?  --Jeff Stern.

WOW! I wonder WHAT you are doing to poor Kermit :-)  Kermit-65 DOES work
on a IIgs AND supports either "your card" or the IIgs port.  It
'automagically' recognizes the IIgs (should have the keyboard set to IIgs
for you).

Which serial driver have you installed?
Do you control panel settings conform to that driver?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") (07/20/89)

>Kermit 3.85 won't accept input from the GS keyboard........

 Jeff,
  I beleive you will have to build Kermit on your GS. Go back through the
process of execing it but set everything up for the GS. If you have the
.Install file you can just exec it on your GS and set everything accordingly.

Robert Brown
BITNET: RXBROWN@UALR
ALPE: ROBPHD               Amiga? Just say no!
                            I.B.M = I've been mugged!

stern@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffrey a stern) (07/20/89)

In article <8907191342.aa12541@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>
RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") writes:

>>Kermit 3.85 won't accept input from the GS keyboard........
>
> Jeff,
>  I beleive you will have to build Kermit on your GS. Go back through the
>process of execing it but set everything up for the GS. If you have the
>.Install file you can just exec it on your GS and set everything accordingly.
>
>Robert Brown

Thanks, Bob.  I think I will try this.  I noticed that I am using the Super
Serial card hex code, and was going to try to rebuild Kermit with the GS port
code.  --Jeff Stern
-=-
stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet | "Eppur si muove."       |
osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP     |         -Galileo    |:->{===#

In article <8907191113.aa08174@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>
	SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>>(Quotes my question)

>WOW! I wonder WHAT you are doing to poor Kermit :-)  Kermit-65 DOES work
>on a IIgs AND supports either "your card" or the IIgs port.  It
>'automagically' recognizes the IIgs (should have the keyboard set to IIgs
>for you).
>
>Which serial driver have you installed?
>Do you control panel settings conform to that driver?

Dear Murph:
		I don't appreciate your sarcastic answer.
								Jeff Stern.
-=-
stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet | "Eppur si muove."       |
osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP     |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
                                   |                     `   /

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (07/20/89)

Hmmm...I set up my GS version of Kermit on an Apple IIe.  I used the
"Easy Install" and answered all the questions as if the install were
a GS.  The version worked fine on a GS.  Guess the hardwire was closer
to my IIe than it was to the GS.  Ah, life when only a II existed.

scott hutiner->macomb projects.wiu

>>Kermit 3.85 won't accept input from the GS keyboard........
>
> Jeff,
>  I beleive you will have to build Kermit on your GS. Go back through the
>process of execing it but set everything up for the GS. If you have the
>.Install file you can just exec it on your GS and set everything accordingly.

One way of having pretty strange problems is:

BRUN KERMIT385
QUIT to APPLESOFT
EXEC KER385.INSTALL

and try to BRUN KERMIT385 on a system with different ROM's (even a //c,
for instance, with an upgrade of the ROMs compared to the //c the INSTALL
was done on).

When KERMIT-65 is BRUN it picks up some ROM code from the system it's on.
If that's the problem, then the only solution is to go back to the EZ Install
EXEC's and start from the beginning.

It IS possible to re-install KERMIT-65 for another Apple system, *** BUT ***
it --> MUST  <-- be done by:

From Applesoft:

BLOAD KERMIT385
EXEC KER385.INSTALL

The BLOAD prevents BSAVEing unwanted (system dependent) ROM code with the
altered KERMIT385.

It IS possible to change the serial driver under ProDOS, but the .INSTALL
exec doesn't work, so you have to do it all by hand (a challenge to your
"manhood" <or its generic equivalent :->).

BLOAD KERMIT385
EXEC KER385.xxx (where 'xxx' is the serial driver wanted)
BSAVE KERMIT385,A$1000,L$6E00

You may also have to edit the KERMIT.INIT text file (I'm told that it CAN
be down with AppleWorks *but* you have to take care that the saved file
is an ASCII .TXT file, and not an Appleworks filetype).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

stern@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (jeffrey a stern) (07/20/89)

Okay, Thanks for the explanation, Murph.  --Jeff Stern.
-=-
stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet | "Eppur si muove."       |
osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP     |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
                                   |                     `   /

>>Which serial driver have you installed?
>>Do you control panel settings conform to that driver?
>
>Dear Murph:
>        I don't appreciate your sarcastic answer.

Then:

1. Provide specific information with questions.  "It doesn't work" hardly
   supplies much information upon which to diagnose a problem.

2. If you have a sensitive ego, don't use email to a list 'cause you're
   bound to light a flame thrower or two sooner or later.

3. When all else fails, read the documentation (the file APPLE.DOC from
   Columbia makes it PRETTY OBVIOUS that Kermit 3.85 does work on a IIgs,
   ergo you must not have it installed properly).

   Laziness causes sarcasm & you haven't actually seen me annoyed yet.