[comp.sys.apple] Xenocide Press Release

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (07/14/89)

   * * *  A T T E N T I O N  A P P L E  I I G S  U S E R S ***

             * * *  P R E S S  R E L E A S E  * * *

     This is an official press release from Micro Revelations,
Incorporated for their new product entitled Xenocide, a science
fiction arcade game that runs on the Apple IIgs computer.
     In Xenocide, an alien race has taken over research outpost on three moons
orbiting the planet Talos IV. There have been no recent communications from any
of these three outpost and it is feared that no humans are left alive. In order
to insure that the alien race does not spread you are instructed to destroy the
three moons. To accomplish this, however, you must travel across the surface of
the moons to collect what ammunition remains from the former colonists. With
any luck you will find the entrance to the inside of the moon and be able to
enter the underground caverns. From there you will need to collect
miscellaneous items that will help you complete your mission. When you are
prepared you will enter the Bio-Labs, once the top secret research centers for
the colonists, and attempt to destroy the aliens that have taken control.  You
must reach all of the labs in each moon and destroy them before it is too late!
     Xenocide is programmed in 100% assembly language utilizing the full
graphics and sound capabilities of the Apple IIgs computer (this was not simply
a port over from another machine!). It contains digitzed sound effects and
takes advantage of an optional stereo card. It can also be played with a
joystick or keyboard, but it is recommended that you use a joystick. Xenocide
can also be installed on a hard drive and will take advantage of 1 megabyte
machines but only requires 512k.

     Xenocide requires that your computer is equipped with following:

     512k ram
     Apple 3.5 drive
     Apple mouse
     Joystick optional but recommended
     RGB color monitor recommended

     For further inquiries about XENOCIDE please contact us at:

Micro Revelations, Inc.
                           P.O. Box 70430
                           Reno, Nevada 89570
                           Toll Free: 1-(800) 442-6002

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (07/18/89)

In article <8907170857.AA14522@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil writes:

>   * * *  A T T E N T I O N  A P P L E  I I G S  U S E R S ***
>
>             * * *  P R E S S  R E L E A S E  * * *
>

>     This is an official press release from Micro Revelations,
>Incorporated for their new product entitled Xenocide, a science

	Oh how wonderful!  Glad to know my tax dollars are going towards
	free advertising of video games!  Next time, how about limiting
	the article to a reasonable length, and putting a <COMMERCIAL>
	warning on the subject line!

Cary Farrier

+------------------------------------+
| #include "All.Standard.Disclaimers"|
+------------------------------------+

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (07/18/89)

In article <8907170857.AA14522@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil writes:

>   * * *  A T T E N T I O N  A P P L E  I I G S  U S E R S ***
>
>             * * *  P R E S S  R E L E A S E  * * *

Firstly, you're probably going to take a lot of flak for making a commericial
announcement here. Secondly...

>     This is an official press release from Micro Revelations,
>Incorporated for their new product entitled Xenocide, a science
>fiction arcade game that runs on the Apple IIgs computer.
>     In Xenocide, an alien race has taken over research outpost on three moons
>orbiting the planet Talos IV. There have been no recent communications from any

Talos IV?? I hope you've talked with Paramount Pictures about using
one of their planets... That one was first visited by Captain
Christopher Pike of the USS Enterprise. He found a race of
mind-controlling creatures there. You people should check out your
planets before referring to them...

(A message mostly in jest - we'll see how Paramount really reacts :-)

Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (07/22/89)

Re:

> From: "David C. Whitney" <pnet01!crash!athena.mit.edu!dcw>
> Subject: Re: Xenocide Press Release

> In article <8907170857.AA14522@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil writes:
>>
>>   * * *  A T T E N T I O N  A P P L E  I I G S  U S E R S ***
>>
>>             * * *  P R E S S  R E L E A S E  * * *

> Firstly, you're probably going to take a lot of flak for making a commericial
> announcement here. Secondly...

True, but when looking at the overall posting, I think that if he had
changed it to a little less advertising and a lot more review that it
would have been acceptable (hint hint!).

>>   This is an official press release from Micro Revelations,
>>Incorporated for their new product entitled Xenocide, a science
>>fiction arcade game that runs on the Apple IIgs computer.
>>   In Xenocide, an alien race has taken over research outpost on three moons
>>orbiting the planet Talos IV. There have been no recent communications from

> Talos IV?? I hope you've talked with Paramount Pictures about using
> one of their planets... That one was first visited by Captain
> Christopher Pike of the USS Enterprise. He found a race of
> mind-controlling creatures there. You people should check out your
> planets before referring to them...

> (A message mostly in jest - we'll see how Paramount really reacts :-)

> Dave Whitney	A junior in Computer Science at MIT

Dave, Talos is both a constellation and a mythological character.  You
cannot copyright something that has been used for a few hundred years
by the general populace.  If this were true, the GDW and other Science-
fiction based games would be in a world of hurt in the name stealing
department!

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-pac!tsouth