[comp.sys.apple] modem file protocols

powe.henr801E@XEROX.COM (06/16/89)

 I have what I hope is a simple question. What I would like to know is the
title or author of  a book that gives the information needed to help write
a communications program that can  access files with different protocols.
    I belong to a local BBS and certain files use a protocol that my Hayes
Micromodem does not know and  causes it to go into a death pause. The host
(a thing called an IBM) is waiting for something, but my Smartcom has no
setting for it, so they just sit there and hum at each other. The host
supports X-MODEM and a couple others, but I do not know the format of the
routines necessary. I am not looking for code, mainly some reference
material that my public library and bookstore do not seem to carry, or I
have just overlooked. While there are excelent programs,  both free and at
a cost that do what  is needed,  I find it more interesting writing my own
than ending up as a User of others' code?
   I have written an assembler version to access a full-screen terminal,
but that was for a 300  baud internal on my APPLE II+. What I want to write
is for a Hayes 1200 that interfaces through a Super Serial Card  so that I
can access either full-screen or line-by-line.
  Thank you for any help you can offer.

tjohnson@pro-nucleus.UUCP (Terry Johnson) (06/20/89)

Network Comment: to #1637 by powe.henr801E@XEROX.COM

I'm interested in the same thing you are (i.e. writing my own terminal
program).  It appears that you are far ahead of me.  If you can give me any
suggestions on how to do SSC i/o, specifically how to use the Pascal 1.1 entry
points to write a term program and how to keep the modem active while
accessing the keyboard and drive, I would be forever appreciative.

                                        Thanks...Terry Johnson

powe.henr801E@XEROX.COM (07/13/89)

 I have what I hope is a simple question/request. What I would like to know
is the title or author of  a book/article/whatever that gives the
information needed to help write a communications program that can  access
files with different protocols.  I am not looking for free code. I know
there are excelent programs,  both free and at a price, that do what  is
needed, but I find it more interesting writing my own than ending up as a
User of others' code.
   I have written an assembler program to access a full-screen terminal,
but that was for a 300  baud internal   (a Hayes Micromedem)on my APPLE
II+. What I want to write is for a Hayes 1200 that interfaces through a
Super Serial Card (the major stumbling  block) so that I can access either
full-screen or line-by-line.
  Thank you for any help you can offer.

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET (Scott Hutinger) (07/14/89)

C Programmer's Guid to Serial Communications by Joe Campbel, Howard W. Sams
& Company, full retail is 24.95.  This book mainly gets into Xmodem
communications, and of course all the code is in C.  It also just covers
two UARTs, the 8250 and Z80SIO.  (sounds like an ibm eh?).  It also has
some good information on error detection, information transfer etc.
The information transfer gets into Kermit somewhat, Xmodem, etc.

It does give some good information on most things involved in communications,
but is slanted towards ibm. But then again, communications is not slanted
towards any machine, since the background information is on ARQ, send-wait
ARQ, Continuous ARQ.   Its coverage of basic communications is done
quite well thought.  Of course it does not mention the SSC.

scott hutinger   mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

powe.henr801E@XEROX.COM (07/20/89)

I have tried several times to get a reply to the following, but  have never
gotten anything back. I would be interested in any answer that meant this
got somewhere.
   What I would like to know is the title or author of  a
book/article/whatever that gives information, like formats, that would be
helpful in writing a communications program that can  access files with
different protocols.  I am not looking for free code. I know there are
excelent programs,  both free and at a price, that do what  is needed, but
I find it more interesting writing my own than ending up as a User of
others' code.
   I have written an assembler program to access a full-screen terminal,
but that was for a 300  baud internal Hayes Micromedem on my APPLE II+.
What I want to write is for a Hayes 1200 that interfaces through a Super
Serial Card (the major stumbling  block) so that I can access either
full-screen or line-by-line under program control.
  Thank you for any help you can offer.

ir179@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (Stephen Stich) (07/22/89)

In article <890720-052328-1535@Xerox> powe.henr801E@XEROX.COM writes:
>I have tried several times to get a reply to the following, but  have never
>gotten anything back. I would be interested in any answer that meant this
>got somewhere.

Well, I tried to mail this to you, but it was promptly bounced, so I
guess I'll post it, instead.

>   What I would like to know is the title or author of  a
>book/article/whatever that gives information, like formats, that would be
>helpful in writing a communications program that can  access files with
>different protocols.  I am not looking for free code. I know there are
>excelent programs,  both free and at a price, that do what  is needed, but
>I find it more interesting writing my own than ending up as a User of
>others' code.
>   I have written an assembler program to access a full-screen terminal,
>but that was for a 300  baud internal Hayes Micromedem on my APPLE II+.
>What I want to write is for a Hayes 1200 that interfaces through a Super
>Serial Card (the major stumbling  block) so that I can access either
>full-screen or line-by-line under program control.

Okay, I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I'll give it to
you anyway. I saw something on AppleLink, in one of the forums, in a
folder about books, relating somewhat to this. Somebody had posted a
small review of a book about modem programming, giving lots of info,
I take it. It wasn't an apple specific book, and I believe that
although it had code samples, they were in C, which may not be of
all THAT much use to you, but at least it's a start. Hope it is of
at least some help.

Jonah