[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS 5.0 sic

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/16/89)

In article <8907140736.AA09765@crash.cts.com> lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) writes:

> I'm just dropping my thoughts onto the net about GS/OS 5.0 (beta) that I just
> got to try out.

Sorry to nitpick, but I think the folks at Apple will agree that we have to
get our terms right.  This is GS/OS version 3.0!!!!!  It is SYSTEM (disk) 5.0.
Don't confuse the overall system and GS/OS!

>		THIS OS IS N*I*C*E!  Just about everything about the gs is
> speeded up several times.  Boot time is a bit slower from a hard disk, but I
> suppose that is because of a lack of an Apple SCSI card (I'll have to call
> First Class Peripherials to see if they plan a new driver [are you seeing this
> 1st Class Periphs?]).

I don't know if we'll be seeing anything for Siders or not.  They're DiskII
devices, not SCSI.  What I want to see is a CMS driver.  Right now, using a
generated driver, my CMS 60 is about the same speed as my 3.5 floppy!  That
really says a lot for apple's 1:1 floppy hack.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (07/16/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Jul15181038@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>Sorry to nitpick, but I think the folks at Apple will agree that we have to
>get our terms right.  This is GS/OS version 3.0!!!!!  It is SYSTEM (disk) 5.0.
>Don't confuse the overall system and GS/OS!

Or if we REALLY want to be picky we say System Software 5.0 and not System Disk
5.0 now.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/17/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Jul15181038@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>I don't know if we'll be seeing anything for Siders or not.  They're DiskII
>devices, not SCSI.  [...]

There has been a GS/OS loaded driver available for from First Class for Siders
for several months now.  (It isn't free.)

"DiskII" devices?  What?

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/18/89)

In article <33203@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:

   In article <WOMBAT.89Jul15181038@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
   >I don't know if we'll be seeing anything for Siders or not.  They're DiskII
   >devices, not SCSI.  [...]

   "DiskII" devices?  What?

Maybe I'm mis-informed, but I was under the impression that a Sider card
acted like a DiskII card as far as the machine was concerned.  But Siders
are *not* SCSI devices.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/18/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Jul17123829@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Maybe I'm mis-informed, but I was under the impression that a Sider card
>acted like a DiskII card as far as the machine was concerned.  But Siders
>are *not* SCSI devices.

I think they're "SASI" (I don't remember what that stands for) devices inside,
but that doesn't matter to ProDOS.  They're just ProDOS block devices; GS/OS
can generate drivers for Sider devices with no problems.  They definitely don't
look like Disk IIs.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (07/19/89)

Network Comment: to #8828 by pnet01!crash!apple.com!claris!wombat

OK!  GS/OS 3.0/System Disk 5.0, you knew what I was talking about, even if I
am twisting the information a bit.  I didn't realize the GS/OS version number
until I booted and pressed the space bar to avoid the boot up thermometer.

>I don't know if we'll be seeing anything for Siders or not.  They're DiskII
>devices, not SCSI.

Look it up Scott, the Sider hard drives are SCSI drives.  They will work with
Apple SCSI cards, and you can run SCSI utilities (like SCSI Hacker) on them,
they have a device number jumper on the back, and a SCSI terminator.  I'm not
sure, but I think First Class stopped producing the DiskII based hard drives,
or maybe they are just not advertizing them.

I can't claim that I'm very happy with the Sider, however.  I feel that in the
speed race, the Sider (the older SCSI ones) are left in the dust by the
competition.  BTW I've heard of a replacement chip for the Sider that can
speed its operation, can anyone tell me where I can find one or offer some
information about it?
                                        Laer

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (07/22/89)

Network Comment: to #8883 by pnet01!crash!apple.com!dlyons

>I think they're "SASI" (I don't remember what that stands for) devices
>but that doesn't matter to ProDOS.

No, call First Class to confirm.  The Sider hard drives are SCSI devices, ever
since the D4 was introduced (I think in 1987).

                                        Laer

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (07/23/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!lhaider (Lawrence Haider)

> Look it up Scott, the Sider hard drives are SCSI drives.

I thought Siders were SASI devices and not SCSI. What gives?

paul@pro-europa.cts.com                       |   "Open the pod bay door HAL"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul   |  "Sorry Dave, I can't do that"

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (07/23/89)

Network Comment: to #9048 by pnet01!crash!pro-europa.cts.com!paul

>I thought Siders were SASI devices and not SCSI.

Since somewhere in 1987, First Class has been making their Siders SCSI devices
since SCSI had already established itself as a standard in the Apple market.

pro-sol.cts.com!lhaider (Laer Haider)