[comp.sys.apple] GSOS sys 5.0?

>The press release that was posted on IIGS System Software 5.0
>has finally been posted on Apple's FTP site.

I wonder if that means it's been mailed to dealers yet? :-)

>Local dealer here states that usually a press release for
>Mac products is followed the next day by an "OVERNIGHT
>SHIPMENT" but that nothing has arrived so far to back

Does that *prove* that IIgs is *not a Mac*?  I'd think "overnight" (UPS
Blue Label probably) a bit flamboyant.  Regular UPS should be sufficient
(although it WOULD be nice if the parcels were put in UPS's hands a day
or two before the Press release).

>up this press release.  I believe them since I got my
>copy of System Software 4.0 from them the day after it
>was announced by Apple last fall.

Maybe Apple too has decided overnight shipping is a little too pricy for the
good it does (we'll see when  they ship Macintosh System 7.0)?

>This is putting dealer and customer at further odds
>(calculated or not too bright?).

You can't blame them for being a tad hasty with the Press Release.  After
all they ARE ahead of the deadline promised earlier (end of August) and
they've a right to be gleeful about that.  Given a July 17 date on the
Press Release and assuming UPS delivery, I wouldn't think too much complaining
is justified IF copies start showing up on *some* dealers shelves by this
Friday (7/28).

Unfortunately, production and shipping being physical instead of electronic,
copies can't be delivered to all outlets simultaneously :-)  What we're
seeing here is an actual demonstration of the "inventory pipeline."

>Oh well, sorry to bother you but you do seem to have an
>interest in how Apple conducts its business in the II area.

True, but hardly limited to just that.

Your dealer KNOWS you are *eager* to (presumably) BUY System 5.0.  Aren't
they willing to take your phone number and call you when it comes in
(*rush* cash, check, or money order to... :-)?

Perhaps the following bears repeating (for the eager anyway) -

----------------------------- Original Message (edited) ------------------
From:         "Mark B. Johnson" <mjohnson@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: System Disk 5.0 ships
To:           info-apple@BRL.MIL

Well I wish I could enlighten people a bit, but I don't know the whole
story.  I do know that the disk is final and finished and on dealer price
lists.  I don't know what causes the delays.  I think that Matt will be
able to add to this, but the entire Apple II DTS crew is in Kansas City
for the Apple II developers conference for the next few days.

As for wishes to post it on the net, we cannot at this time since it is
copyrighted software.  If we work out the details, we will post it on
the Apple FTP site, but until that time, it cannot be posted on Usenet
anywhere.  Licensed bulletin boards and electronic services like
CompuServe should have it soon.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_