[comp.sys.apple] Multiscribe GS & Dictionary

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (07/13/89)

I recently put a hard disk on my kids (ha!) //gs and this evening ran
into a strange problem with Multiscribe GS (V3).  I have the dictionary
on the the hard disk.  I was playing with the thesauraus and I opened a
new document typed ONE (1) WORD, highlighted it and then asked for
synonyms.  It prompted me for the dictionary so I clicked on the
disctionary that was on the hard disk.  It proceeded to tell me i didn't
have enough memory for this operation.

I have 1.25M in the system, I had the /ram5 disk set to 256K. I check the
control panel to get some idea of how much memory I had available and I
had close to 400K.  I then zeroed out the ram disk, POWERED DOWN THE
SYSTEM, and tried the same thing again......Same thing.

I then tried it a third time with the utilities disk in the 3.5" drive
(this is one the has the dictionary on it) and everything worked just
fine.

I'm running GS/OS which came with System Disk 4.

Is this an undocumented feature or am I missing something?

Chris Shatara    shatara@memit.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!memit.dec.com!shatara
		--or-- shatara%memit.dec@decwrl.dec.com

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (07/15/89)

From article <417@mountn.dec.com>, by shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara):
> I recently put a hard disk on my kids (ha!) //gs and this evening ran
> into a strange problem with Multiscribe GS (V3).  I have the dictionary
> on the the hard disk.  I was playing with the thesauraus and I opened a
> new document typed ONE (1) WORD, highlighted it and then asked for
> synonyms.  It prompted me for the dictionary so I clicked on the
> disctionary that was on the hard disk.  It proceeded to tell me i didn't
> have enough memory for this operation.
>
> I have 1.25M in the system, I had the /ram5 disk set to 256K. I check the
> control panel to get some idea of how much memory I had available and I
> had close to 400K.  I then zeroed out the ram disk, POWERED DOWN THE
> SYSTEM, and tried the same thing again......Same thing.
>
> I then tried it a third time with the utilities disk in the 3.5" drive
> (this is one the has the dictionary on it) and everything worked just
> fine.
>
> I'm running GS/OS which came with System Disk 4.
>
> Is this an undocumented feature or am I missing something?
This is the same code that is in AppleWorks GS, and is even less stable
because MultiScribe was tested very little.  I'm suprised the speller works
at all.  And whatever you do, if you want to check spelling, keep the
dictionary disk in the drive.

It's been two years since MSGS was released and we are just now getting
around to fixing spell checker bugs in AWGS.  Too bad we aren't doing MSGS
anymore.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

>This is the same code that is in AppleWorks GS, and is even less stable
>because MultiScribe was tested very little.  I'm suprised the speller works
>at all.  And whatever you do, if you want to check spelling, keep the
>dictionary disk in the drive.
>
>It's been two years since MSGS was released and we are just now getting
>around to fixing spell checker bugs in AWGS.  Too bad we aren't doing MSGS
>anymore.

Have you all thought that one through?  You just said "Two years ago we
offered for sale a program that was not thoroughly checked.  Even though it
is hardly surprising that there are a number of bugs in it, we've "orphaned"
the thing and now tell users that any problems they have with the software
are their tough luck.  We do hope, however, that they continue to purchase
the programs we are selling today."  P.T Barnum ("There's a sucker born
every minute.") lives?

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu          [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

shatara@memit.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (07/17/89)

>>because MultiScribe was tested very little.  I'm suprised the speller works
>>at all.  And whatever you do, if you want to check spelling, keep the
>>dictionary disk in the drive.
>>
>>It's been two years since MSGS was released and we are just now getting
>>around to fixing spell checker bugs in AWGS.  Too bad we aren't doing MSGS
>>anymore.

Now that Beagle Bros has the rights to Multiscribe GS (at least I think
they do), did they also get the customer list such that in the (unlikely?)
event an update occurs, we can be notified.

Are they, Beagle Bros reachable via the net?  I'd like to voice my
concerns/wishes.

My guess would be that MSGS will die a slow death as it presents a
reasonable alternative to AWGS.  I like the font/graphics capability of
MSGS and find that vanila flavored Apple works meets my database and
spread sheet needs just fine.  I can't see spending $150 more dollars
(for upgrading to AWGS) just to get a program working that should have
worked in the first place. (Just venting folks - is the MSDOS world any
different?).

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (07/18/89)

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes...

> It's been two years since MSGS was released and we are just now getting
> around to fixing spell checker bugs in AWGS.

Are you reviewing some of the definitions, too? Compare the synonyms for
man vs. woman and boy vs. girl; I'm no feminist, but the contrast was
interesting. Then take a look at liberal vs. conservative. Microsoft Word's
synonyms seem to make fewer value judgements...

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (07/18/89)

From article <8907161608.aa24691@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, by SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall):
> Have you all thought that one through?  You just said "Two years ago we
> offered for sale a program that was not thoroughly checked.  Even though it
> is hardly surprising that there are a number of bugs in it, we've "orphaned"
> the thing and now tell users that any problems they have with the software
> are their tough luck.  We do hope, however, that they continue to purchase
> the programs we are selling today."  P.T Barnum ("There's a sucker born
> every minute.") lives?

StyleWare was a different company than Claris, and did not always have enough
resources to thoroughly test some of its products.  Unfotunately, spell
checking in MSGS was one of those things that just didn't get tested very
much.

Claris has an excellent SQA department, and it is a joy to work with them.
Because of Claris, many things are being fixed in AWGS that StyleWare would
have taken a long time just to find.

--

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/20/89)

In article <36410001@hpindwa.HP.COM> tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes:

   Are you reviewing some of the definitions, too? Compare the synonyms for
   man vs. woman and boy vs. girl; I'm no feminist, but the contrast was
   interesting. Then take a look at liberal vs. conservative. Microsoft Word's
   synonyms seem to make fewer value judgements...

We've put a request in to Proximity, the company that wrote, owns & licenses
the spell checker & thesaurus, and they might be able to get us new data files.
Part of the problem is that a single definition is used for multiple synonyms.
Case in point: The definition of husband is also used for man.  Similarly, the
definition of wife is used for woman.  I haven't looked at boy vs. girl, but
the disparity probably stems from a similar set of definitions.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

>Are they, Beagle Bros reachable via the net?  I'd like to voice my
>concerns/wishes.

Found an item on my FAX this morning (arrived late Friday) from -

| UUCP: crash!pro-avalon!jeffj          | Jeff Jungblut    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-avalon!jeffj@nosc.mil | Customer Support |
| INET: jeffj@pro-avalon.cts.com        | Beagle Bros      |
|_______________________________________|__________________|

The news in the FAX is: StyleWare products purchased by Beagle Brothers
are NO LONGER COPY PROTECTED.  If you want the latest, not copy protected,
version, mail your original, copy protectd, disk and $10 to

Beagle Bros., Inc.,
6215 Ferris Square, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92121

Ph is: (619) 452-5500
Customer Support: (619) 452-5502

Bug fixes and new features for at least some StyleWare products are expected
in about two months.