[comp.sys.apple] SCSI?

MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET ('Scott Hutinger') (07/24/89)

From someone...somewhere:
>>Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!lhaider (Lawrence Haider
>>
>> Look it up Scott, the Sider hard drives are SCSI drives.
>
>I thought Siders were SASI devices and not SCSI. What gives?

My Sider is an old one that was born before SCSI was used widely in the Apple
line.  Who knows?  Maybe it really is a SCSI device?  But, I don't have
anything to look it up with.  But, it sure won't hook up to a SCSI card, as
it has its own.

Scott Hutinger    mser001@ecncdc.bitnet
#Is it really true that SCSI can never be standard if it is put on the
#logicboard?

kodali@portia.Stanford.EDU (VAS KODALI) (07/25/89)

In article <8907231521.aa20157@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> MSER001@ECNCDC.BITNET ('Scott Hutinger') writes:
>From someone...somewhere:
>>>Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!pro-sol.cts.com!lhaider (Lawrence Haider
>>>
>>I thought Siders were SASI devices and not SCSI. What gives?
>
>My Sider is an old one that was born before SCSI was used widely in the Apple
>line.  Who knows?  Maybe it really is a SCSI device?  But, I don't have
>anything to look it up with.  But, it sure won't hook up to a SCSI card, as
>it has its own.

Well, I'm inclined to think that it isn't SCSI.  My recent experience with
fixing them by replacing the hard disk itself brought forth some interesting
points and questions:

	o The drive itself, meaning the hard drive, not the supporting
	  hardware that translates the signals, can plug directly into an
	  IBM, assuming you have a hard disk controller card.

	o Does the Sider setup software do a low or high level format on the
	  drive?

	o Can you just swap one larger size drive out for another?  I came
	  across a 20 meg version of the drive I was looking for, but didn't
	  grab it cuz I wasn't sure it would work.  This could mean a great
	  side business  - "here, send me your 10 meg Sider and $75, and I'll
	  return you a 20 meg Sider..."

>Scott Hutinger    mser001@ecncdc.bitnet

--Chan Wilson

kodali@portia.stanford.edu