[comp.sys.apple] First System 5.0 bitch

rewing@APPLE.COM (Richard Ewing) (07/24/89)

Ok, I'll be the first to level a complaint about System 5.0.  I just tried to
print something from AppleworksGS (a color picture), and the blasted
laserwriter 3.0 drivers won't print in color to our QMS ColorScript 100
postscript printer.  Hey, what gives???  I expect true color postscript
output from this baby, and it looks like I can only do it from the
ribbon of an Imagewriter.  hey, I mean, doesn't everybody have a $20,000
printer on their network that they can use?  C'mon, guys, have some
foresight!  Hey, they did it for the Mac ;-)

--Rick Ewing (laughing hysterically)
  Apple Atlanta

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/25/89)

In article <8907240308.AA25983@apple.com> rewing@APPLE.COM (Richard Ewing) writes:
>Ok, I'll be the first to level a complaint about System 5.0.

Sorry...you're too late.  You're not the first one to find anything to
complain about in 5.0.

>I just tried to
>print something from AppleworksGS (a color picture), and the blasted
>laserwriter 3.0 drivers won't print in color to our QMS ColorScript 100
>postscript printer.  Hey, what gives???  I expect true color postscript
>output from this baby, and it looks like I can only do it from the
>ribbon of an Imagewriter. [...]

As far as I know, though, you *are* the first one to complain that the
LaserWriter drivers don't print in color to a QMS ColorScript 100
printer!  :-)   Congratulations!

Actually, I have no idea whether this ought to work or not, or how hard
it would be.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (07/25/89)

Well, since we have the QMS ColorScript 100 here, and I was insanely
curious, not to mention that System 5.0 has been full of plesant surprises,
I said, what the hell?!  let's try it!  The result?  A successful printout,
but it beautiful black and white.  Oh well, I suppose we can always wait
for System 6.0!

"Pre-press for the Apple II...it *could* happen!"

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (07/26/89)

From article <8907240308.AA25983@apple.com>, by rewing@APPLE.COM (Richard Ewing):
> Ok, I'll be the first to level a complaint about System 5.0.  I just tried to
> print something from AppleworksGS (a color picture), and the blasted
> laserwriter 3.0 drivers won't print in color to our QMS ColorScript 100
> postscript printer.  Hey, what gives???  I expect true color postscript
> output from this baby, and it looks like I can only do it from the
> ribbon of an Imagewriter.  hey, I mean, doesn't everybody have a $20,000
> printer on their network that they can use?  C'mon, guys, have some
> foresight!  Hey, they did it for the Mac ;-)

I don't think it even occured to the guys over at Apple to add color
PostScript compatibility.  However, I think dithered colors would look
pretty bleedin' awful.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.