[comp.sys.apple] 2400 baud on a //c

WPW100@PSUVM.BITNET (Will Wong) (05/11/89)

Has anyone out there tried a 2400 baud modem on an _original_ //c?
I'm interested in getting one, but from what I've heard the machine
might have problems at even 1200 baud.  It seems that the orignal
machines shipped with serial ports that weren't within tolerances
for an rs-232 port.  They're supposedly 2-3% slower than they
should be.  Back in 1984, I read that Apple would swap motherboards
to fix the problem for free provided you could prove that
the serial port was the problem.  Well, I didn't have a modem back
then, and my dealer wouldn't do the swap.  Does Apple still extend
this offer?  If not, is it a simple fix?  I.e., is there something
I could replace to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

--Will

In article <89130.215026WPW100@PSUVM> WPW100@PSUVM.BITNET (Will Wong) writes:
>Back in 1984, I read that Apple would swap motherboards
>to fix the problem for free provided you could prove that
>the serial port was the problem.  Well, I didn't have a modem back
>then, and my dealer wouldn't do the swap.  Does Apple still extend
>this offer?  If not, is it a simple fix?  I.e., is there something
>I could replace to fix this?  Thanks in advance.
>

>--Will

This is still a free upgrade, under the same conditions it's always been:

1)  You need to show proof of purchase of a non-Apple modem (which you have),
and

2)  You need to be able to demonstrate the problem happens with some other
serial device.  (This means you may have to borrow a 1200 bps or faster modem
from someone.)  This is to show that it's not a flaky modem you're using to
get a free logic board swap.

The problem isn't the serial port, it's the timing crystal it's based on.  It's
just a little off in those first IIcs - enough to throw things off at faster
than about 600 baud.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (05/16/89)

My //c had a motherboard upgrade done in order to allow memory expansion and
a 31/2'' external disk. I think it was after this that I used it with a 2400
baud modem. Before for sure, I had used it with a 1200 baud Apple modem. The
//c is designed to go up to 19,200 baud.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca    |
  |  INTERNET:halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu  BITNET:D57J@CORNELLA  D57J@CRNLVAX5|
  |  UUCP:{vax135,rochester,decvax}!cornell!batcomputer!halp                  |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601      |

WPW100@PSUVM.BITNET (Will Wong) (07/26/89)

Hmmm...I ended up paying $180 for the thing.  It's supposed to be a
good modem (the Packard Bell 2400).  I know 2 people offhand who use
it and apparently haven't had any problems.  My problem was that it
couldn't generate the touch tones after a couple of weeks.  It made
tones, but the phone company wouldn't recognize them.  It still worked
as a modem though and still dialed pulse.  The first unit I had was
able to recognize the secondary MCI dial tones.  The unit I have now
doesn't, but that's a minor annoyance.  You can always blind dial and
put in commas to pause for the secondary tone.  I wouldn't
necessarily avoid something just because one of the units turned out
flaky.  The first //c I got had some video circuit go bad.  The dealer
couldn't find anything and basically just swapped machines.  I'm
satisfied with my modem and it was also recommended by a comp sci guru
I knew.  My friend also said that the units get hot enough that
he wouldn't put anything on it.  Mine doesn't seem that hot now so it
probably depends on the serial number you get.

--Will Wong