[comp.sys.apple] System Software v.5.0 and APDA

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/26/89)

In article <8907230301.AA12721@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-exchange!bsherman@nosc.mil writes:
>I spoke with APDA on Friday. They claim System Software will not ship before
>September, and they will not have it available before then.

I would just like to set the record straight with regard to why APDA does
not have the new version of GS/OS available even though Apple issued a
press release saying that it was available.

The System Software product mentioned in the press release is the retail
version of the product that is made available through Apple's Authorized
Dealers.  This product includes only user documentation (that was mentioned
in an earlier posting) and the system disks themselves.  This is the product
that is currently shipping.

The System Software released through APDA is put together quite differently
from what I described above.  First of all, the user documentation is not
included.  Instead, special developer notes are written that contain, among
other things, a detailed change history from the previously released version
of system software.  Unfortunately, these notes cannot be generated until
the software is completely finished.  This causes the delay between when
new system software releases are available through retail stores, and when
they are available through APDA.  The software included with the APDA release
is identical to the software released with the retail version.

The developer-oriented release notes for System Software v.5.0 are currently
being worked on, and we expect that the product will be available through
APDA in late Summer.  I hope this clears things up a bit.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@goofy.apple.com