[comp.sys.apple] LAUNCHING BASIC AND OLD 3.3 BINARY PROGRAMS

stern@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffrey a stern) (07/24/89)

I have two questions:

1: Does anyone know where I can find out how to launch BASIC files from GS/OS
  (I can't seem to get BASIC.LAUNCHER to work...)?

2: also, back on my //e,
   I wrote a SYS program in assembler which would load some old 3.3 games I'd
   converted to PDos8.  This SYS program loaded itself in at $2000, of course,
   copied a part of itself over to $300, then proceeded to load in from disk
   any BIN file and run it.  This worked fine in PDos8 but results in system
   crashes when I try it from GS/OS on my //gs.  Does anyone know where I can
   find out why, or know the answer themselves?

Thanks.  jeff stern.
-=-
stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet    | "Eppur si muove."       |
osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP        |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
72647,1527              : CompuServe  |                     `   /

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (07/24/89)

>I have two questions:
>
>1: Does anyone know where I can find out how to launch BASIC files from GS/OS
>  (I can't seem to get BASIC.LAUNCHER to work...)?
>                   double
   From the finder, just^click on the file you want to run.  Alternatively,
you can double click on BASIC.SYSTEM to get back into the good old BASIC.SYSTEM
environment.  BASIC.LAUNCHER is used by GS/OS to pass the name of the program
onto BASIC.SYSTEM and can't really be accessed directly.
>Thanks.  jeff stern.
>-=-
>stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet    | "Eppur si muove."       |
>osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP        |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
>72647,1527              : CompuServe  |                     `   /

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  | stein%uconnvm.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University of Connecticut  | ...psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!STEIN
32 Hillside Avenue         |
Waterbury, CT 06710        | Compu$erve  71545,1500
(203) 757-1231             | GEnie       ah.stein

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (07/25/89)

In article <55848@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <stern@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>I have two questions:
>
>1: Does anyone know where I can find out how to launch BASIC files from GS/OS
>  (I can't seem to get BASIC.LAUNCHER to work...)?

Normally there is an icon in FINDER.ICONS that matches the Applesoft filetype
and specifies */BASIC.LAUNCHER as the application to run.  Just double-click
on an Applesoft program, making sure you have BASIC.LAUNCHER *and*
BASIC.SYSTEM at the top level of your boot disk.

If this doesn't help, what exactly is happening?

>2: also, back on my //e,
>   I wrote a SYS program in assembler which would load some old 3.3 games I'd
>   converted to PDos8.  This SYS program loaded itself in at $2000, of course,
>   copied a part of itself over to $300, then proceeded to load in from disk
>   any BIN file and run it.  This worked fine in PDos8 but results in system
>   crashes when I try it from GS/OS on my //gs.  Does anyone know where I can
>   find out why, or know the answer themselves?

It sounds like it ought to work okay.  I can't think of a reason for it to
crash offhand, so either try giving more details (what does it say, exactly,
when it crashes, for example--weird numbers could easily mean something to me),
or mail me a disk w/ something I can crash myself (address in my signature).

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.CDN ("H. Grant Delaney") (07/27/89)

>>1: Does anyone know where I can find out how to launch BASIC files from GS/OS
>>                   double
>   From the finder, just^click on the file you want to run.  Alternatively,
>you can double click on BASIC.SYSTEM to get back into the good old
>BASIC.SYSTEM environment.  BASIC.LAUNCHER is used by GS/OS to pass the name of
> the program onto BASIC.SYSTEM and can't really be accessed directly.

>Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet

Not Quite true you have to first modify the attributes of the basic ICON or the
application Icon to tell it to first go to Basic.launcher.  For this you need
an ICON editetor such as DICed or ICONED.  Both are in Apple2-l.

Grant