[comp.sys.apple] AWGS & WordPerfect

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (07/28/89)

In article <7411@ecsvax.UUCP> tamara@ecsvax.UUCP writes:

   The program is designed to be just a word processor. It has more
   than Appleworks GS as far as a word processor though:  To name
   just two (1) a spelling checker (including a word counter--useful
   to writers) and (2) a Thesaurus.

'Scuse me, but AWGS doesn't have a spell checker and thesaurus??  Does that
mean that I can stop maintaining the code for it? :-)  Sorry, but it does
indeed have both of those features, as well as character, word, line,
paragraph, & page count.

   >through the menus a little and to be honest, I don't know why anyone would ever
   >buy and use WordPerfect instead of Appleworks.  The one big advantage all WP
   Well I would. For one thing I can use the numeric key pad as if
   it were on a PC. (Don't groan folks.) When you do a lot of
Groan. :-)

I assume that these questions are directed at AWGS, not AWKS:
   I must admit I haven't used Apple Works that much. Let me ask you
   Does it have headers/footers that can be opened and edited and
   automatically placed on each page?
Yes.

   Does it create footnotes?
No.
   Does it have pull down menus as well as function key equivalents?
Yes.

   Does it have WYSIWYG?
Yes. (Word Perfect doesn't)

   Does it show you hidden commands which turn on bolding, underlining,
   margin changes, font changes, etc?
No, it's WYSIWYG, not cryptic hidden commands.

   Does it have a built in thesaurus?
Yes.

   Does it have a built-in spelling checker?
Yes.
   Can it do hanging indents?
Yes.
   Does it have hanging indents?
Only if you tell it to.

   Can you start page numbering with any page number automatically?
Yes.

   I don't think you use a word processor to it's fullest capabilities.
   I think one of the problems with Apple Works is it does a lot
   of things and therefore the power in a word processing stand alone
   program is lost.
I disagree.

   Bottom line:  I really like it. So there :-)

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Bottom line: I prefer WYSIWYG word processing to text word processing.  If
I really want that, I'll use {n,t}roff under Unix.  Kinda sick, though.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or dead.

suem@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (susan.mc kinnell) (07/29/89)

From article <WOMBAT.89Jul27185236@claris.com>, by wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey):
> Bottom line: I prefer WYSIWYG word processing to text word processing.  If
> I really want that, I'll use {n,t}roff under Unix.  Kinda sick, though.

Ouch!  One of the reasons I *don't* much care for pc word processors
is the fact the they *are* WYSIWYG.  I don't like WYSIWYG at all.
I *MUCH* prefer nroff/troff output.  It's much more powerful.  I have
yet to see a pc word processor which will handle automatically-numbered
lists (admittedly my experience with such programs is small, precisely
because I check out the docs and see that they don't do what I want
and don't bother with them) and lists are something I generate all the
time on UNIX.  Why pick on nroff/troff, anyway?  It's not even *on*
Apples - if it is, please let me know where I can get it!
--
Sue McKinnell    ...!att!ihlpf!suem	IH 6N311      x5313