[comp.sys.apple] GIF files for //gs

pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon) (07/27/89)

I would like to know how to transfer GIF files from the Mac to the GS,

Is there some sort of program which converts them, or are they already
compatible (maybe the mac files have headers and stuff?)?

If they're already compatible, does this mean all I need to do is transfer
them using Apple File Exchange?

Thanx for all the help.

-Patrick

	"I'm going to kill everyone in this room"
		"Now that's darn rude."
	-The Joker and David Endochrine in "The Dark Knight Returns"

Internet: pmgannon@athena.mit.edu

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (07/28/89)

In article <13032@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon) writes:
>I would like to know how to transfer GIF files from the Mac to the GS,
>
>If they're already compatible, does this mean all I need to do is transfer
>them using Apple File Exchange?

GIF files are compatible with any computer which can translate GIF files
into pics.
When you transfer the data using Apple File Exchange, however, make sure
you transfer in binary mode...*Do Not Transfer in ASCII Mode!*  you will
get a distorted (if somewhat interesting) picture which will not
completely translate. (you can recover the leftovers with SHRConvert,
but they aren't pretty).

--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/30/89)

In article <1087@ultb.UUCP> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) writes:
>In article <13032@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon) writes:
>>I would like to know how to transfer GIF files from the Mac to the GS,
>GIF files are compatible with any computer which can translate GIF files
>into pics.

Well, they're supposed to be.  However, somebody in the Mac world seems
to have decided to store Mac files on, for example, AppleLink PE with
an additional Mac-specific header which must be stripped off to obtain
a genuine unmolested GIF file.  I think there's a Mac header stripper
available from AppleLink PE.