[comp.sys.apple] GS sys 5.0??

>It's Friday, July 28 and some still talk about the emperor's
>new clothes but no one seems to have seen them.
>
>bridson@primate.wisc.edu

It DOES seem that someone at Apple got carried away and told the press
before "calling Federal" (or UPS, whomever).

Speaking of Vaporware, I've got to get around to posting my column before
all the rumors come true ;-) don't I?

Evidently, you CAN download System 5.0 from Compuserve or Genie, its the
dubious user docs (all $49 worth) that you can't get off the dealers shelves.
Have the dealers at least seen the press release?

I suppose, next someone's going to tell us that "the check's in the mail" :-)

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (07/30/89)

The fabled 5.0 has shown up in some stores in the Miami area, but now
I am hearing from some that got copies that the disks seem to be
defective..

bsherman@ibiza.cs.miami.edu     or     bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
bsherman@pro-exchange uu[D[D.uucp[D[D[D[D[D[D.uucp            MCI Mail: BSHERMAN

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/30/89)

In article <8907290144.aa01760@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (Murph Sewall) writes:
>Evidently, you CAN download System 5.0 from Compuserve or Genie, ...

I just checked both AppleLink PE and Genie, and System Disk 4.0 is the
only version I could find.  Maybe 5.0 will be posted but it isn't yet.

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (08/01/89)

I got a copy of System 5.0 on Saturday (7/29) for $4.28!!!

I walked into an Authorized Apple Dealer and asked if they had the new
GS system software. They apologized for not having the manuals, but they
had received the store copy of the OS. I could either bring in my own
disks and copy it, or buy copies they had already made for the cost of
the media ($2/disk, or $4 + tax). I decided to save myself the trouble
of copying, and bought their disks.

If anyone else in the South Bay area is looking for 5.0 disks, check out:

	Computer Plus
	1328 South Mary Ave.
	Sunnyvale, CA  94087
	(408) 735-1199

They are in the shopping center on the SE corner of Mary and Fremont;
not too far from where Highway 85 crosses Fremont.

--Dave Tribby
                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby