[comp.sys.apple] A couple of questions...

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (01/07/88)

ok, two things here:
I got a mysterious mailing from APDA (I'm not a member...) and they have
APW 1.0 for sale at $100. I see in a few magazines the ORCA/M //GS
development system for roughly $50-$60 (depends on the mail order place).
Is the ORCA package the SAME THING as APW 1.0? If so, why the price discrepancy
and if not, what's different between the two?

I got a mysterious mailing from a publisher ( a free magazine trying to get
me to subscribe - I think I will) called "Apple IIGS Buyer's Guide". It
consists of reviews and a back section describing (I believe all) GS specific
products. Well, they list there the following (and I quote):

GSX
Faster processing for the IIGS
	GSX is an add-on board that enables the IIGS to run at 5.6 MHz,
twice the 2.8 MHz speed. It uses a faster 65816 processor and comes with
high speed static RAM expandable to 1MB. According to its vendor, GSX speeds up
all applications.
	The product installs in any slot and acts as an accelerator and
memory expansion card at the same time.

Retail Price: N/A
MDIdeas, Inc. 1163 Triton Dr.; Foster City, CA 94404; 415-573-0580

Anyone know the deal? There was a rumor posted here earlier (in the vaporware
column) that Apple was buying large quantities of 12MHz 65816s from WDC.
Does Apple have something planned? Has anyone beta-tested the MDIdeas card?

As a side note, the magazine looks to be a handy reference and it's only $8.95
a year (I figure it's quarterly, my free issue is dated Winter, 1988).

DISCLAIMER: I'm not related to anyone who knows people at APDA, Apple, MDIdeas,
the publishers of The Buyer's Guide, or Ludwig van Beethoven.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) (07/31/89)

   I have seen quite a few people talking about GSBug, but haven't heard
what exactly it is or where it is available.  Can someone give me some more
details on this?

   Also, I have been having problems downloading files off the server at
Brown.  I can request the files and they are sent, but everytime I have
tried to convert them with Binscii I get a checksum or file damaged error
(something to the effect that the file is corrupted).  It is always just
one or two of the segments, but it always happens.  Thus, nothing I have
gotten has been useable.  Is there something that I am doing wrong, or is
there a different way to request files to make sure they are complete?
   When I examine the ascii versions that don't work, they "appear" to be
OK.  They are they same size as the previous ones, the headers and end
"appear" to be the same, so I am basically at wit's end.  Any help here
would be appreciated.

-Jeff

   Jeff Sorte  --  MIS/CS student
    Univ of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
   Bitnet:    s825177@uwec.bitnet

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (08/01/89)

S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) writes:
>    I have seen quite a few people talking about GSBug, but haven't heard
> what exactly it is or where it is available.  Can someone give me some more
> details on this?

GSBug is a debugger for the GS, currently available only through APDA
(Apple Programmers & Developers Association) for $30.  It's an extension
of their earlier debugger, DEBUG. In addition to being able to set
breakpoints, display or modify registers & memory, disassemble code, and step
through code, GSBug can set breakpoints at the calling point of GS tools.

Unfortunately, GSBug is still in "Beta test" format, and the documentation
does not describe the entire feature set. As I've run up against limitations,
I've been asking for help and the experienced folks at Apple and Claris have
been able to provide helpful answers.

--Dave Tribby

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (08/01/89)

In article <890730.17460257.050576@UWEC.CP6> S825177@UWEC.BITNET (JEFFREY SORTE) writes:
>   I have seen quite a few people talking about GSBug, but haven't heard
>what exactly it is or where it is available.  Can someone give me some more
>details on this?

The product:
GSBug and Debugging Tools Version 4.0B1
is an Apple product that is available through APDA.
Part # A0037LL/A, Price $30.00

GSBug is a machine language debugger for the Apple IIGS.

APDA can be reached at (800) 282-2732.

If you have the Spring '89 issue of the APDAlog (orange issue), it is
listed on page C-12 in the Apple IIGS catalog section.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
rickf@goofy.apple.com