[comp.sys.apple] ZMODEM/EASYLINK

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (06/19/89)

Zmodem is a very fast protocol, which doesn't require acknowledgement of each
block sent.  Blocks that aren't correctly sent are NAKed and sent again.
Actually, the protocol isn't quite that simple (look at Chuck Forsberg's specs
for Zmodem sometime for a real thrill) but that's about the gist of it.

The protocol will work fine with Apples because it has a convention for
indicating the "buffer size" on the receiving machine.  In other words, if
ProTERM can only receive 15K of data before it has to save it to disk, the
sending computer will only send 15K at a time, then wait for the go-ahead
before sending the next chunk.

The problem seems to be in ProTERM's implementation of Zmodem.  ProTERM's
Ymodem is flakey on GEnie as well, but I've personally never had problems
with it.  In any case, Greg Schaeffer is working with GEnie to get the
problems ironed out.

By the way, I've used Zmodem here on Portal, and on a local MS-DOS BBS, and
ProTERM handles both of those hosts fine.  I suspect that the Zmodem Portal
and this MS-DOS BBS use differs in some subtle way from Forsberg's
specifications.  ProTERM probably is off-base in the same direction, which
would explain why its Zmodem works with those hosts but not on GEnie.

/\    Jerry Kindall     JerryK@cup.portal.com
  \/  Death to COBOL    GEnie: A2.JERRY   ALink: A2 Jerry

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (06/20/89)

In article <8906171926.aa28625@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, mitchellr@UV4.EGLIN.AF.MIL writes:
>TO:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[INFO-APPLE@BRL.MIL] )
>        I was perusing GEnie last night, and saw that they now
>support "ZMODEM" protocol.  Can anyone on the net fill me in on
>the advantages of this protocol?  I also read in the A2
>Roundtable that this protocol doesn't work with any current
>terminal software for the Apple //.  Does anyone have any idea on
>who IS going to support it?

Well, rumor has it that ProTerm v2.1 (if it's officially out)
supports Zmodem file transfer.  Zmodem is what is called a
"streaming" protocol, as compared to a "packet" protocol.  All it
really results in is computer A sending the data in a continuous
stream, and computer B telling A when it detects an error.  Sortof.
There's just one catch to it - if you have a noisy phone line, it
REALLY sux.  However, in this age of error-correcting modems (such
as MNP-style modems; the newer 2400 & all 9600's that I know of)
it should prove to be beneficial.

Hope this helps!

+-----------------------------------+  DAN BERRY
!  "Violence is the last            !  University of Alberta
!       refuge of an incompetent."  !  Computing Systems
+-----------------------------------+  (Network and DataCom)

mitchellr@UV4.EGLIN.AF.MIL (World's Semi-Greatest Fighter Pilot) (07/22/89)

E G L I N   A F B
                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      17-Jun-1989 06:18pm CDT
                                        From:      MAJ RICHARD S MITCHELL
                                                   MITCHELLR
                                        Dept:      USAFTAWC Air-Air Weapons
                                        Tel No:    904-897-5502

TO:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[INFO-APPLE@BRL.MIL] )

Subject: ZMODEM/EASYLINK

	I was perusing GEnie last night, and saw that they now
support "ZMODEM" protocol.  Can anyone on the net fill me in on
the advantages of this protocol?  I also read in the A2
Roundtable that this protocol doesn't work with any current
terminal software for the Apple //.  Does anyone have any idea on
who IS going to support it?

	Different subject:  AE's "EASYLINK".  I saw it advertised
in this month's Incider, and it looks interesting.  Any
experience or comments?  It appears from the ads that this may
give Mousetalk a run for the money.

	Last subject:  How do you make those spiffy little info
footers that I keep seeing tacked on to the ends of messages?
(Just interested....)
				Thanks,
					Rick

nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) (07/22/89)

> support "ZMODEM" protocol.  Can anyone on the net fill me in on
> the advantages of this protocol?  I also read in the A2
> Roundtable that this protocol doesn't work with any current
> terminal software for the Apple //.  Does anyone have any idea on
> who IS going to support it?

I've heard ZMODEM as being touted (sp?) as very fast because it
doesn't require acking the packets.  You only nak ones that don't
make it correctly.  If true this would make it much faster on high
speed modems that have problems with turnaround (Telebit T1000 for
instance).  However it would also give Apple ][s problems because
disk accesses turn off interrupts, and you would lose characters.
Maybe you could get around this, but you'd probably have to deal
with losing packets and resending them every time you wrote a
bunch to the disk.

Home:	obsolete!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
Work:	nazgul@apollo.com
BBS:	obsolete!pro-angmar!nazgul@bloom-beacon.mit.edu
	    or
	nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com  (somewhat slower though)
	617/641-3722 (300/1200/2400)

-------

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/22/89)

In article <8906180052.AA20316@obsolete.UUCP> nazgul@obsolete.UUCP (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>However it would also give Apple ][s problems because disk accesses
>turn off interrupts, and you would lose characters.

This isn't an inherently insoluble problem, because virtually all UARTs,
ACIAs, or whatever in use today are at least double-buffered, giving the
operating system one character assembly time to deal with inputting the
buffered character.  At 2400bps, that's 1/240 seconds, i.e. more than 4
milliseconds.  If interrupts are disabled only for shorter duration than
that, no received characters need be lost.

I don't know how long ProDOS or GS/OS disables interrupts during I/O for
the various kinds of supported disk drives, but all of them should be
able to transfer a sector in less than 4 msec.

                                        Date:      17-Jun-1989 10:04am CDT
                                        From:      MAJ RICHARD S MITCHELL
                                                   MITCHELLR

TO:  _WINS%                               ( _DDN[INFO-APPLE-REQUEST@SMOKE.BRL.MIL] )

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (08/03/89)

In article <10417@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> This isn't an inherently insoluble problem, because virtually all UARTs,
> ACIAs, or whatever in use today are at least double-buffered, giving the
> operating system one character assembly time to deal with inputting the
> buffered character.  At 2400bps, that's 1/240 seconds, i.e. more than 4
> milliseconds.  If interrupts are disabled only for shorter duration than
> that, no received characters need be lost.
>
> I don't know how long ProDOS or GS/OS disables interrupts during I/O for
> the various kinds of supported disk drives, but all of them should be
> able to transfer a sector in less than 4 msec.

True, they _should_ be able to transfer a single sector in 4ms.  The problem
is that most communication programs (all of the ones I've ever used, and all
of the ones that people I know have used) tend to buffer up the data and
write many sectors at once.

Worse, for those who transfer to floppy, the drive has a 1-second spin-up
time.  I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't count on interrupts
being enabled during that time, at least not when using a Disk ][.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822       | If a machine is powerful enough
paul@Atherton.COM                       | to have a DWIM button, why bother

JerryK@cup.portal.com (Jerry E Kindall) (08/03/89)

It's true, no terminal program currently works with GEnie's ZMODEM.  However,
ProTERM's ZMODEM works fine here on Portal for me, and also works fine on a
local MS-DOS BBS.  Greg Schaefer, the author of ProTERM, is reputedly working
on making ProTERM compatible with GEnie -- no word on when that'll be do
though.

As for EasyLink: I've heard it's a pretty darn good terminal program.  Its
main competition won't be MouseTalk, though, it'll be ProTERM.  EasyLink is
the only terminal program I'd consider giving up ProTERM for, basically because
of its excellent macros.