[comp.sys.apple] GSOS v5.0, AWGS bugs, Fall Applefest

mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) (08/02/89)

I have several questions that I'll compact into one post.

First: at the SP'89 Applefest the Apple folks were talking about a Char FST
in v5.0 of GSOS and new Text Tool Set calls that were faster.  Where can I
get docs on these (ie a tech note, or some kind Apple personal's notes)?  I
would like to use ORCA/C to make system calls to the modem port, but in
reading the July Tech notes on Comm programs, Apple advised going around the
system if 9600B or greater was required (I need 9600B in my comm program).

Does anyone know about any new text tool set calls I might access that will
enable my program to achieve 9600B?  Right now I'm looking at StatusTextDev
and ReadChar to access the modem port, but if these tools aren't fast
enough what's the use of using the system calls?

Second: AWGS bugs.  Has anyone had a problem with the find and replace in
AWGS v1.02?  Whenever I try to do a replace all on a character with a
character return (ie option return) the system locks or blows up in some
way.  I've had the occur consistently on different machines.  Has anyone
else tried this?  What I am trying to do is strip all of the carriage
returns in a text file except for those at the end of the paragraphs.  So I
put ZZ at the end of every paragraph, replace all the CR's with space and
then TRY to replace (unsuccessfully since the system crashes) all the ZZ's
with CRs.  What other methods do folks use to preprocess text files in order
to put them in a newsletter?

Lastly: Applefest San Francisco!  Does anyone know if I could get a tour of
Apple when I go to Applefest in Sept.?  Also what are some good things to
see/do in San Fran?  Who else is going to Applefest this Sept?  Any
speculations on what Apple will release?  I personally think it will be next
year before we see the GS+ and this fall will bring maybe some new FST's and
Hypercard for the GS (Better be in color !! :-).

If anyone has any input feel free to send me mail or respond here.  I am
especially interested in folks who have programmed the comm port on the GS!

Thanks in advance.					Michael Steele
						mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
--
Michael Steele		mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
			mikes@ncsuctix.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (08/03/89)

In article <3566@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> mikes@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael Steele) writes:
>First: at the SP'89 Applefest the Apple folks were talking about a Char FST
>in v5.0 of GSOS and new Text Tool Set calls that were faster.  Where can I
>get docs on these (ie a tech note, or some kind Apple personal's notes)?  I
>would like to use ORCA/C to make system calls to the modem port, but in
>reading the July Tech notes on Comm programs, Apple advised going around the
>system if 9600B or greater was required (I need 9600B in my comm program).

The source I've been using for the new CharFST is Gary Little's
_Understanding_GS/OS_and_ProDOS_8_ ( I think that's the title, anyway)

It goes into detail about the CharFST and the Console Driver.  As for
the Comm port, I think what the people at Apple are saying is that, if
you're doing 9600+bps, you should find yourself a firmware guide, and
pick out the data in, data out, data ready, etc soft-switches and
manipulate them yourself...they're faster that way.

Hope that helped.

--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421