[comp.sys.apple] More 5.0 notes

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (08/05/89)

A couple of other things I've noticed after playing with 5.0
for a day or so...

     1) My ProDOS 8 -> ProDOS 16 crash is a constant thing.  Not on
        the System Disk, but on my hard disk.  I can provide DTS a
        listing of what I load on bootup, but, what types of things
        should be watched for?  I have the same (actually fewer)
        NDAs with the addition of the Control Panel.

     2) The error codes are not constant, however.  $BD48 was just
        after I left Basic.System from Kermit.  There's also A2D6,
        and $BE00.  All of these crashes occur after the "One moment,
        please" message shows up on the SHR screen.  They're all
        BRK 00 (jumps to all zeros)-type crashes.

     3) I turned my 5.25 driver off, but the System crashes with
        "System Error $0001" on bootup.  I turned off the inactive
        bit (booted up on floppy), and it works fine.  Huh?

     4) ProSel-16 couldn't sort a directory.  This bothers me.  If
        all I need is an update, fine.  But, why?  There were
        absolutely no ProDOS S 16 files or resources or Cdevs in it.
        Just text files as it was my docs directory.  All Txt files.

        MLI error: $4E which my ProDOS Tech Ref Manual says is:
        "Access error.  The file's attribute forbids the Rename,
        Destroy, Read, or Write operation that was attempted."

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/06/89)

In article <3360805@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>A couple of other things I've noticed after playing with 5.0
>for a day or so...
>
>     1) My ProDOS 8 -> ProDOS 16 crash is a constant thing.  Not on
>        the System Disk, but on my hard disk.  I can provide DTS a
>        listing of what I load on bootup, but, what types of things
>        should be watched for?  I have the same (actually fewer)
>        NDAs with the addition of the Control Panel.

Did you use the Installer to install 5.0?  This is very important, partly
because it knows which old 4.0 files need to be deleted.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.