[comp.sys.apple] sys disk 5.0

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (07/20/89)

Some questions to whoever can answer it.

1) If a person has got the documentation for the 4.0 disk, then is there any
need to shell out the cash for the docs for 5.0?  I had to go and buy the 4.0
version since I got my IIgs way back in the days of the Desktop, and I needed
the docs only to make sure of I knew it all (or most of it).  Is there
anything in the 5.0 docs that would justify buying em?

2) I remember the days of the Desktop, it could smoke the Finder (4.0 sysdisk
and lower) in speed of drawing everything.  Is there anybody out there who has
seen both and could comment?  From all the comments it seems like the new
sysdisk is tons faster and so is the Finder.  Does it match or better the
speed of the Desktop?

3) Since there are folks from Apple here, is it possibly you guys could post
the new system disk to comp.binaries.apple2?  Be a great way to get it in the
hands of a large number of people.  I realise it is fairly large, but is it
possible?

Owell, back to net.lurking.

-Kareth.
asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (07/20/89)

In article <2751@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>3) Since there are folks from Apple here, is it possibly you guys could post
>the new system disk to comp.binaries.apple2?  Be a great way to get it in the
>hands of a large number of people.  I realise it is fairly large, but is it
>possible?

	Sorry, but no, due to certain legal aspects.

Cary Farrier
+------------------------------------+
| #include "All.Standard.Disclaimers"|
+------------------------------------+

rewing@Apple.COM (Richard Ewing) (07/20/89)

I think that if you feel very comfortable with your GS, then you can
probably get away with not needing the manuals.  If you need to use GS/OS 3.0
with Appleshare, or in a classroom Appleshare enviroment, then for Heaven's
Sake, GET THE MANUALS!!!  We spent two days trying to get a server based
configuration right.  With a little help from Dev Tech Support, we were
finally able to get it right, but if we had docs, the process would probably
be painless.

The Desktop is dead, Long live the NuFinder!  'Nuff said...

I also don't know who's authorized to post files to various nets, but I know its
not me.  Whoever's in charge of this will probably have to respond.

|Disclaimer:  Segmentation Fault: Core Dumped.                            |
|Internet: REWING@APPLE.COM-----------------------Rick Ewing              |
|ApplelinkPE & MacNet Soon!------------------Apple Computer, Inc.         |
|Applelink: EWING--------------------100 Ashford Center North, Suite 100  |
|Compu$erve: [76474,1732]--------------------Atlanta, GA 30338            |
|GENIE: R.EWING1--------------------------TalkNet: (404) 393-9358         |
|USENET: {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!rewing                         |
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jib@prism.TMC.COM (07/20/89)

RE: Posting of new System Disk 5
Although the System Disk cannot be posted on InfoApple, it WILL be available
for downloading on GEnie, Applelink PE, Compuserve, etc.  Each of those
commercial boards has licenses to distribute it.

(It does cost $, but, for example on ALPE, each disk should take about 45
minutes to download at 2400 baud for $6/hour === about $4 for each disk).

Before you ask, the disks are NOT YET available on the networks for downloading.  They were hoping for next week....

Jim Block

Jim Block		jib@prism.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/21/89)

In article <2751@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>2) I remember the days of the Desktop, it could smoke the Finder (4.0 sysdisk
>and lower) in speed of drawing everything.

Of course it could; it had far less data to bit-blit around, due to the
Finder environment having both color and higher pixel resolution.
Assuming comparable software technology, the Finder can never be as fast
as the Desktop.

KMILES@CC.USU.EDU ("Kurt Miles, VAX Consultant") (07/29/89)

>RE: Posting of new System Disk 5
>Although the System Disk cannot be posted on InfoApple, it WILL be available
>for downloading on GEnie, Applelink PE, Compuserve, etc.  Each of those
>commercial boards has licenses to distribute it.

 Will the disks be posted on the APPLE ftp?

I think I saw something about this earlier, but I can't what was said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Kurt Miles                   |      GreyMan ------>    and the    <----- DRAGON
KMILES@USU (Bitnet)          |      ...... remember, sometimes the DRAGON wins!
KMILES@CC.USU.EDU (Internet) |                                     ------
Doctoral Student in Instuctional Technology at Utah State University
"Dissertation?    DISSERTATION?     AAARGH!!!     My recruiter lied to me!!!!!"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dougm@lakesys.UUCP (Doug McIntyre) (08/06/89)

	I'm also having problems with GS/OS v3.0. This is working with large
files though. Going to about 1M or so in size. Using a C program that is just
appending files together, I have about 6 files in 350,000 character chunks.
I need to append these together to get one big file....  Under GS/OS v3.0,
on the second and later chunks, I usually get the GS/OS error box poping up
with the error: bad storage type ($4b). Also pops up an address which I
forgot to write down.. I then can't delete this large file without an error,
(under Orca, invalid param block address..) and I lose the space taken up
by this large file, (fixed by mr.fixit).. So what is causing this?? It works
just fine under GS/OS v2.0..

Also a question since the docs aren't available from APDA yet..
What is error $64? I assume it is something with the character console
driver, since that is about where I got it..

3rd problem. I'm losing data while going out through the printer port. First
I use gsos.exerciser just for a basic tool.. I read a file of graphics data
that I generated for the printer, open the printer (after searching for it
with DINFO), and then write it out to the printer.. At about byte 2098 I start
losing 32 bytes. Then I get back into the stream, and then it procedes to lose
more chunks out of the data stream. I've also tried writing the data in 1k
chunks. Since the buffer of an IW II is 2k there shouldn't be any buffer
overflow problems..
--
UUCP: uunet!marque!lakesys!dougm			Compuserve: 70611,2215
INET: dougm@lakesys.lakesys.COM	   GEnie: D.MCINTYRE1		 ALPE: DougMac