[comp.sys.apple] Apple //c question

jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") (07/19/89)

I have a friend who wants to use a Apple Unidisk on his //c

The problem is that his machine is one of the older ones and does not
have the correct ROMS for Unidisk use.

Now once upon a time, (I used to own a //c before the GS came along)
Apple dealers would install the new ROMS into a //c for free (whether you
had to buy a Unidisk from that particular store in the process was not clear)

what is the story now in 1989? Are dealers still expected tp perform this
operation? What cost?

Thanks

jeremy mereness
=============
jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (07/19/89)

If you are going to replace the ROM, be careful.  If it's a real old //c, you
can't put a regular unidisk 3.5" in there.  You have to use the more expensive
3.5" designed for the //c.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (07/23/89)

Comment to message from: pnet01!crash!cunyvm.cuny.edu!APTC1%MKVAX1%MSUS1.BITNET (Unknown User)

The UniDisk 3.5 works fine on any //c that has updated ROMS that will support
3.5 drives.  There wasn't any "more expensive 3.5" designed for the //c".  The
UniDisk 3.5 was the original 3.5 for the //e and the //c.  The UniDisk chains
off the //c SmartPort.

Sam
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT@nosc.mil
INET: SamT@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!SamT@psuvax1

In article <oYktnLy00VA-04QoMz@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Jeremy G. Mereness") writes:

>I have a friend who wants to use a Apple Unidisk on his //c
>
>The problem is that his machine is one of the older ones and does not
>have the correct ROMS for Unidisk use.
>
>Now once upon a time, (I used to own a //c before the GS came along)
>Apple dealers would install the new ROMS into a //c for free (whether you
>had to buy a Unidisk from that particular store in the process was not clear)
>
>what is the story now in 1989? Are dealers still expected tp perform this
>operation? What cost?
>
>Thanks
>

>jeremy mereness
>=============
>jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Arpanet)
>r746jm7e@CMCCVB (vax.... Bitnet)

To my knowledge, dealers still perform this upgrade free of charge, although
some of them may want proof of UniDisk 3.5 purchase first.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

mw22+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Alan Wertheim) (07/26/89)

>>Now once upon a time, (I used to own a //c before the GS came along)
>>Apple dealers would install the new ROMS into a //c for free (whether
you
>>had to buy a Unidisk from that particular store in the process was not
clear)

>To my knowledge, dealers still perform this upgrade free of charge,
although
>some of them may want proof of UniDisk 3.5 purchase first.

I called the two largest Apple dealers in my area (Pittsburgh).  Neither
of them had any clue that such an upgrade even existed.  I called a
third dealer, and he said he would do it for free.

I thought the reason Apple only sold computers to "authorized dealers"
was to maintain some level of quality in the dealers.  It seems to me,
though, that many dealers are pretty clueless.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpanet: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22%andrew@cmccvb
UUCP: ....!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!mw22

APTC1%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET (07/26/89)

Watch it.  From what I understand, the dealers don't charge for parts, but they
do charge for labor.  Just be careful when they say it doesn't cost anything.

aptc1%kmvax1@msus1.bitnet

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (08/05/89)

Comment to message from: mattd@apple.com (Matt Deatherage)

> To my knowledge, dealers still perform this upgrade free of charge, although
> some of them may want proof of UniDisk 3.5 purchase first.

You're quite correct but you have to convince the dealer that the swap out is
a freebie. Sometimes that takes some doing.

The good ones are still doing it without a hassle though. I was out at
William's Computer Country in Spring, Texas getting my //e doctored and a
customer came in with her //c complaining about problems with her modem. It
turned out she had the original motherboard. They smiled, told her to hang
around a bit, and swapped it out while she waited.

I imagine that old motherboard is on the way back to you guys by now ;)
paul@pro-europa.cts.com                       |   "Open the pod bay door HAL"
...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!paul   |  "Sorry Dave, I can't do that"

MGRJTC@ROSEVC.Rose-Hulman.EDU ("Jerrod T. Carter, Asst. Manager") (08/07/89)

I had the problem with the modem on my //c and they swapped the board for me
but it wasn't exactly free.  The hardware was, of course, but ComputerLand
charged me $45.00 in labor.  In my opinion, Apple should have paid for that, not
me.

JTC
MGRJTC@ROSEVC.ROSE-HULMAN.EDU