[comp.sys.apple] sys disk 5.0 uhoh

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (08/04/89)

um, just how much memory does Appleworks 2.0 need to run? I have 519k
free ram (1.25MB total), and Appleworks won't run. If I make a
specialized disk (just Appleworks and P8), it works fine. I can't run
it from the Finder. Any suggestions?

Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/05/89)

In article <13247@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>um, just how much memory does Appleworks 2.0 need to run? I have 519k
>free ram (1.25MB total), and Appleworks won't run. If I make a
>specialized disk (just Appleworks and P8), it works fine. I can't run
>it from the Finder. Any suggestions?

Gee...what happens?  Specific error messages/behavior would be helpful.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (08/05/89)

In article <33725@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) writes:
>In article <13247@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>>um, just how much memory does Appleworks 2.0 need to run? I have 519k
>>free ram (1.25MB total), and Appleworks won't run.
>
>Gee...what happens?  Specific error messages/behavior would be helpful.

I get the title page, and loading stops. No bells, just frozen. The
interrupt to enable the control panel is killed, but the 3.5 drive
eject button works. Pressing ^-reset reboots. I can't really give
better details as I have no utilities like background debuggers or
whatnot.

I slowly deactivated DAs, and Appleworks once again works with 575k
free. I thought that AW only needed 128k (or even as little as 64k) to
run. What gives?

I've noticed other (very minor) bugs with 5.0. If one makes a
selection box in the Finder very small (less than a few pixels wide or
high) the box isn't a box, but rather some sort of mess.

> --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
>   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
>   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875
>   GEnie: D.LYONS2 or DAVE.LYONS         CompuServe: 72177,3233
>   Internet/BITNET:  dlyons@apple.com    UUCP:  ...!ames!apple!dlyons
>
>   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

jlink@pro-xy.UUCP (John Link) (08/05/89)

Network Comment: to #63 by obsolete!dcw%athena.mit.edu

That is indeed strange...I use AW 2.1 and GS/OS 5.0, w slightly more memory,
and have a huge desktop.  A friend, who is devoted to AW 2.0, runs a similar
setup with an equally huge desktop.   I can't imagine why you would have that
problem.  Unless, of course, you are not using ProDOS 1.8 with your
setup--that is, if the version of ProDOS on your AW disk is earlier than 1.8,
GS/OS 5.0 won't like it.  In fact, if you install Glen Bredon's clock driver
to PD 1.8, nothing will run.  I would guess that you are not using the correct
version of PD.  When you boot your "specialized disk" you are starting with PD
8 and forgetting the "sensitivities" of GS/OS.  I kinda wish they would bury
the checksum routine myself, as I used to alter the PD startup screen to
better suit my aesthetic sensibilities, but that too will cause a no-go.

In article <13266@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

>I get the title page, and loading stops. No bells, just frozen. The
>interrupt to enable the control panel is killed, but the 3.5 drive
>eject button works. Pressing ^-reset reboots. I can't really give
>better details as I have no utilities like background debuggers or
>whatnot.
>
>I slowly deactivated DAs, and Appleworks once again works with 575k
>free. I thought that AW only needed 128k (or even as little as 64k) to
>run. What gives?
>

>Dave Whitney	A junior (well, a senior) in Computer Science at MIT
>dcw@athena.mit.edu  ...!bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!dcw  dcw@goldilocks.mit.edu
>I wrote Z-Link & BinSCII. Send me bug reports. I use a //GS. Send me Tech Info.
>"This is MIT. Collect and 3rd party calls will not be accepted at this number."

Right action, wrong conclusion.

If you'll recall, one of the bugs in AppleWorks 2.0 is that it incorrectly
calls _DeskStartUp, a signal to all *NDAs* that the desktop environment
is present.  This is, to be polite, a blatant lie.  If any NDAs do desktop-
type things in their startup routines, the system could come crashing down.

AW 2.0 mostly works for people on IIgs's by accident - for some reason, the
_DeskStartUp call doesn't always get made.  A2-Central has published a patch
in the past, which basically involves looking for LDX #$0205, JSL $E10000.

AppleWorks 2.1 and later do not have the problem.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/05/89)

In article <13266@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dcw@athena.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
[...]
>I get the title page, and loading stops. No bells, just frozen. The
>interrupt to enable the control panel is killed, but the 3.5 drive
>eject button works. Pressing ^-reset reboots. I can't really give
>better details as I have no utilities like background debuggers or
>whatnot.
>
>I slowly deactivated DAs, and Appleworks once again works with 575k
>free. I thought that AW only needed 128k (or even as little as 64k) to
>run. What gives?

Are you certain it's the *amount* of memory that's the problem?  Could
it be a particular NDA, instead?  AW 2.0 calls DeskStartup, which gives
every NDA a chance to crash or hang your system.  Matt says he already
answered this message, so I'll stop being redundant now.

>I've noticed other (very minor) bugs with 5.0. If one makes a
>selection box in the Finder very small (less than a few pixels wide or
>high) the box isn't a box, but rather some sort of mess.

Not a bug--DragRect and WindDragRect now draw 4 separate lines instead
of framing rectangles.  This apparently keeps the cursor from flickering
in some circumstances.  Anyway, because of the way the 4 lines overlap at
the ends, it makes it look different at the corners, especially when the
rectangle is so small that there is nothing there but corners.

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (08/06/89)

Network Comment: to #9658 by mattd@apple.com

     Howzit!

     I want to say Mahalo Nui Loa or Thank you VERY much to Matt
Deatherage (Apple Computer, Inc.) for the insight on the AppleWorks
2.0 _DeskStartUp call!

     I have been looking for this patch for quit awhile.  For those
interested in the patch:

     After making a backup copy of my AppleWorks disk, I used Copy II+
to scan my AppleWorks disk for the Hex values:

          A2 05 02 22 00 00 E1

which is LDX #$0205 JSL $E10000 located in APLWORKS.SYSTEM
(APLWORKS.SYS if you have UltraMacros installed) and changed them to:

          EA EA EA EA EA EA EA

which is just a bunch of NOP's.  Now I can run AppleWorks from the
Finder! :) :) :)

     Now, I wish to run a program called SETUP.SYSTEM under ProDOS 8.
This program will run all BIN and SYS files in a subdirectory called
"SETUPS", and then execute the next SYSTEM file in the root directory.

     AppleWorks hangs up when trying to boot just like when I called
it from the Finder (pre-patched).  I thought the above patch would
help with this problem, but no, AppleWorks still hangs up when booting
after running SETUP.SYSTEM.

     If anyone knows what the problem is or better yet, the patch for
it, I would appreciate your insights.  Mahalo in advance.

     Latas, Jack

|  Jack S. Lai    | "Some people never learn anything because they understand | |  jlai@pro-sol   |  everything too soon" - Alexander Pope                    |
|_________________|___________________________________________________________|

garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) (08/07/89)

Network Comment: to #129 by obsolete!pro-xy!jlink%bloom-beacon.mit.edu

     As you, by now, recall... AW 2.0 has the legendary NDA bug.  Dave Lyons
and Matt Detherage have addressed this problem in earlier postings.  The
patch for this bug is available, of course, in SuperPatch (c).
     Persons interested in SuperPatch (authored by our renowned Pro-Xy SysOp)
may get more information from Pro-Xy at 616/381-1726 - 24hours -
300/1200.2400 bps.

garths@Pro-Xy (Garth Shultz)

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (08/07/89)

Network Comment: to #9698 by jlai@pro-sol.cts.com

        Howzit!

        I just read my post and noticed a line missing.  Correct as
follows: