[comp.sys.apple] minor 5.0 chang

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (08/05/89)

I discovered one difference between 5.0 and previous that for awhile had
me upset.  In the new control panel under alphabet there is somethign
called "translation".  I don't know what it does, but when I used it as
delivered ("standard") it caused the optiion key to work strangely on
Word Perfect.  If I changed it to the other choice ("none") it worked
fine.  Comments anyone?

Oh yes, in relation to what somebody else said:  ProSel (at least block
warden) does block writes which don't seem to get written right away.
After making some changes I moved around several files and that seemed
to be enough to get them written, or maybe they got written when I
exited to GS/OS.

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/08/89)

In article <890804194855.350008@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>I discovered one difference between 5.0 and previous that for awhile had
>me upset.  In the new control panel under alphabet there is somethign
>called "translation".  I don't know what it does, but when I used it as
>delivered ("standard") it caused the optiion key to work strangely on
>Word Perfect.  If I changed it to the other choice ("none") it worked
>fine.  Comments anyone?

Comments?  Yup, it's working just how it's designed to.  "Translation"
means that the Event Manager automatically does Option-key-type
translation when you type; this can cause problems with applications that,
for example, already do their own translation when the Option key is
down.  You already discovered the solution (choosing "None").

>Oh yes, in relation to what somebody else said:  ProSel (at least block
>warden) does block writes which don't seem to get written right away.
>After making some changes I moved around several files and that seemed
>to be enough to get them written, or maybe they got written when I
>exited to GS/OS.

Are you talking about Block Warden running under ProDOS 8?  If so, blocks
are written when WRITE_BLOCK calls are made, and there's no fancy stuff
like caching or sessions going on--at least ProDOS 8 isn't doing them.
What kind of drive are you working with, and what's happens to indicate
that blocks are not getting written right away?

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.