[comp.sys.apple] Answering my own question, and searching for more answers

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (08/06/89)

Okay, well I solved my System Disk 5.0 problem.  Instead of actually
removing StartPic before, I just inactivated it.  No good.  For
reasons unknown, this still loads in (but doesn't display the picture)
and gets in GS/OS's way.  Once I completely removed it, I had no
problems getting into and out of ProDOS 8.  There still is
the $4E error in ProSel-16's directory sort, but I was able to
use Cat Doctor in 8 bit mode to sort them.

Is there any problem with using an 8 bit program to rearrange directories?
It doesn't actually have to touch the Extended Storage type, just its
name, right?

    Todd A. Bakal                              Remember: 1 Million people
    U of M Apple User's Group                  saved Spock.  Think about
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        what GS owners could do.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/08/89)

In article <3361432@ub.cc.umich.edu> Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>Is there any problem with using an 8 bit program to rearrange directories?
>It doesn't actually have to touch the Extended Storage type, just its
>name, right?

	Only if you are going to rename the files in the directory.  If
	you are going to physically re-arrange the files, then no,
	only changing the names won't work, because they will
	still be the same files (If I name Basic.System to P8 then it
	is still the Basic.System program, not ProDOS 8).

Cary Farrier
--
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com |