[comp.sys.apple] NuARC v2.00

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (08/08/89)

Andy Mcfadden has recently posted 'NuARC v2.00' to comp.binaries.apple2.
Since comp.binaries.apple2 does not have a discussion subgroup, and I've
never been successful e-mailing thru cory.Berkeley.EDU, I'm starting this
dicussion here.

First I don't own an Apple //gs (only an Apple ][plus, Apple //c and
Apple ///), but I do find the program interesting and do have a comment
on the choice of options.

Here's the options list as per the comp.binaries.apple2 posting.

	Usage: nuarc option archive-name [filenames]
	Option must be one of:
	  a - add to archive [v2.0 - uncompressed only]
	  b - unpack/unsqueeze from Binary II archive [v2.0 - not yet]
	  c - create archive (add, but suppress 'create' message)
	  d - delete file from archive
	  f - freshen files in archive [v2.0 - not implemented]
	  i - verify archive integrity [v2.0 - read file, check CRCs]
	  m - move files to archive (add, delete original)
	  t - display table of contents (list filenames only)
	  u - update files in archive [v2.0 - not implemented]
	  v - verbose listing (ProDOS 8 ShrinkIt listing)
	  w - who did what (credit where due, licensing info)
	  x,e - extract from archive [v2.0 - uncompressed only]
	  z - dump all known info about an archive

	Type 'nuarc w' for license and author information.

The chosen options appear similar to ARC and ZOO options, but a few changes
are going to make people confused.

First:	't' is the option used to 'test' the intergrity of archives under
	ARC and ZOO. I recommend it be used under NuARC also.

Second:	'l' is the option to 'list' the contents of an archive.

Third:	'h' is typically the option used to request the usage page. I've
	scene some software where a test for the 'h' option was in the code
	and it called up the 'usage' message.  Other times it was omitted
	and any invalid option display showed the 'usage' message. (Result:
	a 'program -h' still displayed the 'usage' message.)

Fourth:	A question.  What is the difference between 'a' and 'c'?  Is 'c'
	really needed?

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (08/09/89)

In article <746@greens.UUCP> matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:
>Here's the options list as per the comp.binaries.apple2 posting.
>	Usage: nuarc option archive-name [filenames]
>	  a - add to archive [v2.0 - uncompressed only]
>	  c - create archive (add, but suppress 'create' message)
>	  i - verify archive integrity [v2.0 - read file, check CRCs]
>	  t - display table of contents (list filenames only)
>First:	't' is the option used to 'test' the intergrity of archives under
>	ARC and ZOO. I recommend it be used under NuARC also.

Andy McFadden has stated that his NuARC program is to be ported to UNIX.
I assume he is used to the UNIX tar command, which uses 't' as he does.
I have never seen ARC *or* ZOO (I assume they're IBMish), and so I have
no hard feelings for this arrangement.

>Fourth:A question.  What is the difference between 'a' and 'c'?  Is 'c'
Again, tar uses 'a' to add to an existing archive (I'm not sure if it
does what NuARC does, ie create an archive if it doesn't exist)
'c' creates a new archive, and adds any files you specify into it.

It seems just a matter of what one is used to.
--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421