[comp.sys.apple] Manuals, Mice, and the PC Transporter

2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca (06/16/89)

I saw an earlier posting re: manuals and had some questions
of my own.  I have the 65c02 upgrade and char. generating
rom (half of the Apple //e -> //ee upgrade).  I will be
getting the CD-EF roms also, but would like some documentation
about the changes.  I currently have the //e Reference Manual
Addendum - Monitor Rom Listings.  Is there such a thing for the
upgraded roms?
Also, (totally new topic) I have Publish-It! that I use with
a joystick (oh yuck...) since it seems to hang when I ask it to
configure for a mouse.  I have been unsuccesfully trying to
find out why this is (presumably because I don't have the new
Rom chips).  Does anyone know what the problem would be, so that
I could write a patch for it (if I end up not getting the new
Roms)?
Finally, (third totally new topic) does anyone out there in the
wide wide Apple world have/use a PC-Transporter card?  I would
be very interesting in corresponding with you - especially if
you have any low-level technical info about how drivers work, etc.
(Applied Eng. seems reluctant to give out any info like this).

Thanks,  P.Surry@uwovax.bitnet (or mayhem@uwovax.bitnet).

userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) (06/19/89)

In article <2328@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>I saw an earlier posting re: manuals and had some questions
>of my own.  I have the 65c02 upgrade and char. generating
>rom (half of the Apple //e -> //ee upgrade).  I will be
>getting the CD-EF roms also, but would like some documentation
>Also, (totally new topic) I have Publish-It! that I use with
>a joystick (oh yuck...) since it seems to hang when I ask it to
>configure for a mouse.  I have been unsuccesfully trying to
>find out why this is (presumably because I don't have the new
>Rom chips).  Does anyone know what the problem would be, so that
>I could write a patch for it (if I end up not getting the new
>Roms)?
>
>Thanks,  P.Surry@uwovax.bitnet (or mayhem@uwovax.bitnet).

Well I don't normally flame people, but just what sort of help
do you expect when you have pirated ROMs?  And likely a pirated
copy of PublishIt! to boot?  Nonetheless, the problem is in your
lack of ROMs, since PI! needs an enhanced //e to work right.  I
would highly doubt that it would be worth your effort to write a
patch since it's easier to stoop to copying the ROMs.

No one can say that pirating isn't alive and well among the
Apple 8/16-bit enthusiasts...

+-----------------------------------+  DAN BERRY
!  "Violence is the last            !  University of Alberta
!       refuge of an incompetent."  !  Computing Systems
+-----------------------------------+  (Network and DataCom)

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (06/22/89)

In article <184@ualtamts.BITNET> userDBUG@ualtamts.BITNET (Dan Berry) writes:
>In article <2328@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 2014_5001@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>>I saw an earlier posting re: manuals and had some questions
>>of my own.  I have the 65c02 upgrade and char. generating
>>rom (half of the Apple //e -> //ee upgrade).  I will be
>>getting the CD-EF roms also, but would like some documentation
>>
>>Thanks,  P.Surry@uwovax.bitnet (or mayhem@uwovax.bitnet).
>
>Well I don't normally flame people, but just what sort of help
>do you expect when you have pirated ROMs?  And likely a pirated
>copy of PublishIt! to boot?  Nonetheless, the problem is in your
>lack of ROMs, since PI! needs an enhanced //e to work right.  I
>would highly doubt that it would be worth your effort to write a
>patch since it's easier to stoop to copying the ROMs.
>
>No one can say that pirating isn't alive and well among the
>Apple 8/16-bit enthusiasts...
>
>+-----------------------------------+  DAN BERRY

Wait a microsecond, Dan.... how can you feel justified in flaming this
guy?  His problem is that he does NOT have the ROMs, so how can they be
pirated?  Perhaps you don't understand the 65c02.  It's available from
Rockwell and NCR, and will work in any Apple - even without changing the
ROMs, that's called 6502 emulation.  I have a II+, and nothing stopped me
from upgrading to a 65c02 and later to a 65c802.  As I see it, M. Surry
is justified in wanting to find documentation for the enhanced //e ROMs
before purchasing them.  I think that Apple should support the enhanced
ROMs as much as the Firmware from previous II's, and if they don't, that
would certainly be a factor in my decision for purchasing any Firmware
Upgrade.  As a II+ owner, I would have to hack my own enhancements, only
//e owners can use the CD-EF ROM upgrade.  Since it appears that Apple is
not interested in offering a II+ 65c02 upgrade, much less a 65c802
upgrade for any II, I would think that publishing documentation on the
//e enhanced ROMs would make a good starting point for anyone supporting
their own Apple.  Apple would still get thier money from sales of the
listings.

BTW, if you try to say that M. Surry's character generator ROMs are
pirated, then I would also disagree.  A program running on any II has no
way of knowing what images are displayed by the character generator, and
therefore the program can't be broken by running with non-standard ROMs
(unless you find Russian characters harder to read than Roman ).  I have
developed several character sets for the ROM in my II+, does Apple have
the bit images of their character set copyrighted?.  The II+ ROMs are in
a different format so I couldn't have 'pirated' them, I had to write an
editor an create them myself.  When you purchase an Apple II, you have
the right as the owner to make any enhancements you see fit.

In the future...
Please don't assume that anyone who has non-standard enhancements to
their Apple is trying to pirate the few enhancements that Apple offers.

P.S. I had much rather pay $15.95 to JameCo for a 65c802 and hack my own
ROM changes (if any), than pay $80 for a //e Upgrade so that my local
dealer can keep $40 to pay the idiots they hire in sales who can't even
answer my simple questions about the various 3.5" drives available for
the Apple II Plus!

Brian Willoughby                        ...!uw-beaver!microsoft!brianw
                or                      microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
                or just                 brianw@microsoft.UUCP

#include <std.disclaimer>	// these are my own preachings

lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau) (07/22/89)

Can anyone out there describe to me the circuit used in an Apple mouse //e|//c
I've got several generic-type 2 button mice that I'd like to modify for use
on my Apple..

These mice contain the standard opto-mechanical mechanism (2 opto sensors
nearly 180 degrees apart for each direction) and they use an LM339 quad
comparator to generate the signals..  I've tested all of them (not connected
to the computer, just power to the connector..) and they give the following:

 Voltage input : 4.94 VDC @ 150 mA (max)
 Opto-sensor outputs :  Low ("0") = 0.76 VDC
		        High ("1") = 4.87 VDC
 Button outputs	: Off = 0.00 VDC
		  On = 4.94 VDC

I've wired several of them to the appropriate connector and plugged them into
the computer.  The buttons (I've wired both together so that they both act
as a single switch) are the only things that work!!! The mouse select is
active (pin 1 on the 9 pin DIN connector) but it seems that the output lines
from the comparator are pulled low..  I know that it isn't the fault of the
computer, as the results were the same both before and after I got the
motherboard replaced (blown IWM chip from accidentally pulling out the ext.
drive connector while power on).   I've got the //c Technical Ref Manual
and in chapter 11, it explains a bit about the mouse, but I can't make sense
of the voltage vs. current graphs that appear there...  it SEEMS to me that
a 0V,0mA is a "1" to the computer, and then a voltage between 2&3V (I'm
quoting from memory, so the ranges aren't exact) is a "0" and anything
between 4.5 and 5V is again a "1"...  Can anyone (especially someone at Apple)
tell me what this means?? does it mean that I have to change the resistors
on the comparator to give 2V instead of 0.76V??   HELP!!  I'm desparate to
get these creatures working..

Please post or email replies..

Thanks in advance
Chris

Email-> lauch%vaxa@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Machine I'm posting from)
	CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET       (Preferred)

Disclaimer->  I didn't say any of this... the computer did!!

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (08/06/89)

WARNING!!!! If you are refering to the first Apple //c Tech. Ref. Manual, The
schematics in chapter 11 are backwards.  The one titled 'hand control' is
actually the 'mouse circuit' and vice-versa.

What do you mean by "The mouse select is active (pin 1 on the 9 pin DIN
connector)".  Unless this pin is grounded the mouse/joystick port will think
its in the joystick mode.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

lauch@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Christopher Lau) (08/10/89)

In article <741@greens.UUCP> matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:

>WARNING!!!! If you are refering to the first Apple //c Tech. Ref. Manual, The
>schematics in chapter 11 are backwards.  The one titled 'hand control' is
>actually the 'mouse circuit' and vice-versa.

Are you sure??  They look OK to me.. but then again I have the 2nd printing
of the manual.

>What do you mean by "The mouse select is active (pin 1 on the 9 pin DIN
>connector)".  Unless this pin is grounded the mouse/joystick port will think
>its in the joystick mode.

Grounded??  it says on p 267 of my manual for pin 1:
1	MouseID*	Mouse identifier: when active, disables NE556 hand
			controller timer

Following this, I've got pin one pulled high through a resistor so it is
"active"..  unless the book is wrong here.. but I don't think so because
as I've said in my original article, the mouse button works, and it only
works if pin 1 is pulled high..  the part that doesn't work is the movement..
I don't know if it's the characteristics of the Apple //c port (I don't
understand those graphs of the signals that they give, and I'm taking
Electrical Engineering!!), the mice that I have are pretty standard as mice
go..  They've got 4 opto-couplers with the wheel thingy in the middle, and
all these are connected to an LM339 quad comparator which effectively
switches the output of the animal from 0 to 5V (actually 0.76V to 4.78V I
think.. can't remember offhand)..  I've got the output connected to the
correct mouse movement pins on the 9-pin connector, but for some reason
when the beast is connected to the Apple, some of these outputs are pulled
low..  Not all of them, but some of them..  one of them actually triggers
correctly and you can produce movement on the screen, but only in one
direction..  what am I doing wrong??  can someone please describe the complete
circuit of the mouse, including the electronics??

Thanks in advance..
Chris Lau

>--
>Matthew Lee Stier                            |
>Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"
>uucp:  sun!mstier or mcnc!rti!sunpix!matthew |
>phone: (919) 469-8300 fax: (919) 460-8355    |

Replies->  If they're interesting, post them to the newsgroup.  If not,
	   CYLau@UNCAMULT.BITNET
	   lauch!vaxa@cpsc.ucalgary.ca