[comp.sys.apple] //e's & //c's discontinued

pete@pro-europa.cts.com (Peter Creath) (08/09/89)

Comment to message from: mailrus!uflorida!unf7!comhex!belial@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Belial)

They discontinued them about 6 months ago (according to A+).  The only II's
still manufactured are the IIgs & IIc Plus (ditto)

   \\ Peter \\
Peter Creath                       | UUCP: crash!pro-europa!pete
13319 Conifer                      | ARPA: crash!pro-europa!pete@nosc.mil
Houston, Tx 77079                  | INET: pete@pro-europa.cts.com

In article <8908090915.AA05016@trout.nosc.mil> pete@pro-europa.cts.com (Peter Creath) writes:

>They discontinued them about 6 months ago (according to A+).  The only II's
>still manufactured are the IIgs & IIc Plus (ditto)
>
>   \\ Peter \\

Nope.  IIe, IIc Plus and IIgs computers are still very much in production.
This rumor seems to not want to die.  My guess is that most *dealers* don't
stock IIe's anymore since most customers buy IIgs's or IIc Pluses, but Apple
still makes them.  Trust me.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."

HHWON00@RICE.BITNET (08/10/89)

What I heard, though, is that the //e is only availible through the
educational buying program, and you can't get one through a dealer
(noted by a list I saw last year, I think....)

                                         Henry H.

NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) (08/10/89)

Matt,
CAn you explain what is all on the mysterious third disk to GS/OS sys 5?
Your input would be appreciated, since I've heard varying stories.

In article <878NETOPRMS@NCSUVM> NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) writes:
>Matt,
>CAn you explain what is all on the mysterious third disk to GS/OS sys 5?
>Your input would be appreciated, since I've heard varying stories.

Yes, I can, and I even will.  :)

When people purchase the AppleShare File Server software (2.0 or later), it
comes with an "Apple II Setup Disk".  This disk is used, per instructions, to
setup the server to allow Apple II users as well as the previously allowed
Macintosh and IBM (with hardware/software) users.

This disk has been updated so that the servers can work with GS/OS (instead of
ProDOS 16 1.6) and so that IIgs's can boot GS/OS off the server.  A new Apple
II Setup Disk is therefore included with the System Software update so that
server administrators can update the server.  (If it wasn't included with
the System Software, it would be really difficult to get it out to all those
people.)

If you don't have an AppleShare server and don't intend to buy one, you don't
need the third disk.

tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (thomas.a.pierce) (08/11/89)

In article <878NETOPRMS@NCSUVM>, NETOPRMS@NCSUVM.BITNET (Michael Steele) writes:
> Matt,
> Can you explain what is all on the mysterious third disk to GS/OS sys 5?
> Your input would be appreciated, since I've heard varying stories.

    MAYBE it has SOMETHING to do with the new CPU coming in September...
(By Jove...) Was that part on A-Link??  Is that part being distributed??  What
sort of files are on it??  (And what was this that I heard about 'The Apple II
Cheer'??)

-Tom
| Tom Pierce         | These opinions don't represent anyone at AT&T (but me!)|
| tp@cbnewsm.ATT.COM | These opinions may be harmful or dangerous if swallowed|
|_tomp@pro-party_____|_These_opinions_are_100%_pure_and_contain_no_cholesterol|