[comp.sys.apple] getting system 5.0 & a question

cullen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Peter Cullen) (08/10/89)

With all the horror stories being posted about Apple dealers I thought I would
share my experience about getting System 5.0. I originally bought my GS from
a local Apple Dealer who has just been bought out by ComputerLand. In the past,
I had had trouble with computerland and didn't like having to deal with them
now. But I decided to give them a try. So I went there and asked the Salesman
if they had the new system software for the GS. After asking someone else he
found out that, yes, they had a store copy that they were copying for their
customers. Then he asked If I brought any disks with me. Not expecting them
to have system 5.0, I hadn't brought any with me. So he disappeared and came
back with the sytem 5.0 software along with a couple of blank disks. He said
he would give me the disks if I would make the copies myself since he was
running behind for the day. Not a bad deal if I say so myself.
  I guess my point is that not all apple dealers are dense when it comes to
new products and some are downright nice.

So I have just started to use 5.0 and I noticed something strange with the
finder. When I attempt to change the name of my ramdisk, the name reverts back
to the previous one. That is, I double click "RAM5", delete RAM5,
and type in a new name. Then as soon as I click on another icon, the name I
typed in changes back to RAM5. Is this intentional, a bug or am I doing
something wrong? I don't have any new documentation for 5.0 but this would
work under 4.0 without any problem.
--
     Peter Cullen    \ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Dept. of Computer Science SUNY/BUFFALO
cullen@cs.buffalo.edu \\///\\\///\\\///\\         LIFE(BIRTH) = DEATH

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (08/10/89)

In article <9150@cs.Buffalo.EDU> cullen@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Cullen) writes:
>So I have just started to use 5.0 and I noticed something strange with the
>finder. When I attempt to change the name of my ramdisk, the name reverts back
>to the previous one. That is, I double click "RAM5", delete RAM5,
>and type in a new name. Then as soon as I click on another icon, the name I
>typed in changes back to RAM5. Is this intentional, a bug or am I doing
>something wrong? I don't have any new documentation for 5.0 but this would
>work under 4.0 without any problem.

	You have to hit the <RETURN> or <ENTER> key to finalize the name
	change.  By clicking on another icon, you are telling the
	Finder to undo the name change.

>--
>     Peter Cullen    \ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Dept. of Computer Science SUNY/BUFFALO
>cullen@cs.buffalo.edu \\///\\\///\\\///\\         LIFE(BIRTH) = DEATH
>cullen@sunybcs.BITNET  \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \   "Back off man! I'm a scientist!"

Cary Farrier
--
+--------------+-------------------------+
| Cary Farrier | farrier@goofy.apple.com |

bh1e+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Brendan Gallagher Hoar) (08/10/89)

In order to rename from the finder, I think THIS is the process...

Click on the name to the point at which you get the insert cursor (1 or 2
times).  Type the new name (may have to press delete first, then the new name).
PRESS RETURN.  Then you can go click on other stuff...

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (08/11/89)

From article <9150@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, by cullen@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Peter Cullen):
> So I have just started to use 5.0 and I noticed something strange with the
> finder. When I attempt to change the name of my ramdisk, the name reverts back
> to the previous one. That is, I double click "RAM5", delete RAM5,
> and type in a new name. Then as soon as I click on another icon, the name I
> typed in changes back to RAM5. Is this intentional, a bug or am I doing
> something wrong? I don't have any new documentation for 5.0 but this would
> work under 4.0 without any problem.

Are you aure you are hitting return or enter before clicking on another icon?
I hate this part of the GS Finder.  It will not change your file or disk name
unless you hit CR or enter before doing anything else.  GRR!

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.