[comp.sys.apple] Problems with GS/OS

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/05/89)

Network Comment: to #9601 by delaneyg%wnre.aecl.cdn@relay.ubc.ca

Has anyone had any problems with programs that use "HyperFormat"?  Shrinkit
and DDDeluxe 4.2a both use this formatting routine, but then the computer
can't read from any 5.25" disk just formatted in that manner.  Is it a problem
with the new Basic.System?  GS/OS v3.0?  Anyone have this happen to them?  Any
suggestions?

garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) (08/07/89)

Network Comment: to #122 by obsolete!pro-angmar!pro-sol!lhaider

> Has anyone had problems with programs that use "HyperFormat"?

     The HyperFormat segment from ShrinkIt 2.1 works fine with my system.  I
just formatted a 5.25 inch disk, and copied ProDOS 1.8, and BASIC.SYSTEM
(1.3) to it, and booted it (from ProSel).  Mebbe there is a problem with the
drive?
     More likely, if you are trying to read/write from a System Software 5.0
GS/OS, you forgot to copy the AppleDisk5.25 driver into your $/System/Drivers
subdirectory.  Natcherly, ProDOS-8 doesn't need the driver anyway.
     With System Software 4.0, I found that some programs seemed to need the
UniDisk3.5 driver there also... for the 5.25 driver to operate... but the 4.0
version of the AppleDisk5.25 was buggy, anyway.  These problems are supposed
te been corrected in version 5.0.
     Actually, I have deleted the 5.25 driver from my boot drive... because I
tire of the clatter and noise with the polling of drives (and because I
seldom use 5.25 inch disks, anyway).  B^)

garths@pro-xy (Garth Shultz)

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (08/07/89)

In article <8908051004.AA12914@trout.nosc.mil> lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) writes:
>Has anyone had any problems with programs that use "HyperFormat"?  Shrinkit
>and DDDeluxe 4.2a both use this formatting routine, but then the computer
>can't read from any 5.25" disk just formatted in that manner.  Is it a problem

I'm glad someone posted this....
I was wondering why in the world my ShrinkIt file wouldn't work onto my
5.25 disk....I just had the same problem (uploading the HyperC files
from one of the FTP sites), and had no idea what went wrong...my version
of ShrinkIt is kind of messed-up (old version), and I just thought it
was that....now I know better....

Les Barstow
--
Les Barstow                   |Bitnet: LMB7421@RITVAX
"What about the R.O.U.S's?"   |UUCP: ...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/09/89)

In article <8908070321.AA19170@obsolete.UUCP> garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) writes:
>[...] The HyperFormat segment from ShrinkIt 2.1 works fine with my system.  I
>just formatted a 5.25 inch disk, and copied ProDOS 1.8, and BASIC.SYSTEM
>(1.3) to it, and booted it (from ProSel).  Mebbe there is a problem with the
>drive?
>     More likely, if you are trying to read/write from a System Software 5.0
>GS/OS, you forgot to copy the AppleDisk5.25 driver into your $/System/Drivers
>subdirectory.  Natcherly, ProDOS-8 doesn't need the driver anyway.

I don't understand:  You're correct that ProDOS 8 doesn't need the
AppleDisk5.25 driver, so what does this have to do with ShrinkIt 2.1 and P8?

>With System Software 4.0, I found that some programs seemed to need the
>UniDisk3.5 driver there also... for the 5.25 driver to operate...

That's sounds very odd--it's always worked fine for me, and I've never
installed the UniDisk3.5 driver (since I don't have a UniDisk 3.5).  From
very limited information, I'd guess that the application had a problem where
it would use data in the wrong bank under certain memory configurations--in
a delicate state like that, adding or removing any driver, DA, etc, can make
or break the application.

>                                                                 but the 4.0
>version of the AppleDisk5.25 was buggy, anyway.  These problems are supposed
>te been corrected in version 5.0.

It bothers me a little to see anything written off as plain "buggy"--what
problems are you referring to, and what is your source of information?  The
only problem I recall at the moment is that it returned incorrect write-
protected status under some conditions.

>garths@pro-xy (Garth Shultz)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/09/89)

Network Comment: to #9727 by obsolete!pro-xy!garths@bloom-beacon.mit.edu

>     More likely, if you are trying to read/write from a System Software 5.0
GS/OS, you forgot to copy the AppleDisk5.25 driver into your $/System/Drivers
subdirectory.  Natcherly, ProDOS-8 doesn't need the driver anyway.

Nope!  I'm still using that late beta version of GS/OS 3.0; but, I DO have the
AppleDisk5.25 driver installed, and it works fine with just 'bout everything I
need to do off of the 5.25" drive.  "I" still think it is a problem with the
HyperFormat routine, but of course I could be wrong, and hope I am.  Anyone
with better insight to the workings of these things care to check it out and
comment?  Better yet, anyone care to write a little patch to correct the
problem?  I'm sure there'd be many appreciative GSers out there :)

                                        Laer

garths@pro-xy.UUCP (Garth Shultz) (08/11/89)

Network Comment: to #226 by obsolete!dlyons%apple.com

> (...) ProDOS 8 doesn't need the AppleDisk5.25 driver, so what does this
> have to do with ShrinkIt 2.1?

My response was regarding the question about HyperFormat and the subsequent
inability of a user to read the formatted 5.25 inch disk.  Since I have
experienced _no_ problems with formatting a 5.25 inch drive from ShrinkIt
(which uses HyperFormat), nor subsequently writing/reading it, my answer was
merely an attempt to help someone who seemed to be having difficulty--and the
absence of the AppleDisk5.25 driver would certainly interfere with accessing
the drive from GS/OS.  Obviously, many apparent problems with GS/OS have
stemmed from the user's having omitted important segments from the boot disk
(as a driver), or failure to install using the Installer.  Perhaps my
wording was such that this meaning was unclear.

> (... the AppleDisk5.25 driver) always worked fine for me, and I've never
> installed the UniDisk3.5 driver (...).   It bothers me (...to see things
> written off as...) "buggy."

The incorrect write-protect status bug was significant.  However, my personal
experience with my "semi-penultimate operating system test software",
(PaintWorks Gold, from my hard drive with System Software 4.0), was that the
Smartport 5.25 inch drive would _never_ be recognized unless the UniDisk3.5
driver was _also_ present in the drivers folder with AppleDisk5.25.  (I spent
hours, experimenting, trying to find a way to enable the 5.25 inch drive.)  I
thought I had, finally, found something unique until I saw a posting on
GEnie, or somewhere, with an identical observation.  I, subsequently, removed
the UniDisk3.5 and AppleDisk5.25 drivers from their folder... finding little
need for the 5.25 drive with GS/OS software anyway.

> What incompatibility (...) by adding an MTR command (...)?

You are quite correct, of course, and I am guilty of an exaggeration.
Replacing the now useless MON command with MTR is quite benign with modern
Applesoft programs.

garths@pro-xy (Garth Shultz)