[comp.sys.apple] Apple dealerships killing the Apple // series......

IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET (08/03/89)

Now that all you guys have System Disk 5.0, I'm getting jealous...
My local dealership has the software, but still hasn't put it out to
display.  'Whenever he can get around to it.....' that's the quote
for the past 3 to 4 days.....

Guess he's too busy setting up those IBM compatibles in the front of the
sales room.....

Just as a side-note.....  It took him close to a week and a half
just to get System Disk 4.0 out.....  Hope I don't have to wait that
long.....

Personally, I don't think it's the software companies or even Apple
that are trying to let the Apple //s die....  I think it's the guys
down the street at Vere Smith Audio Visuals (in Athens Ohio 45701),
that just simply don't give a damn about the series.....

Just venting some frustration.....  And looking for a way to kill that
store.....

David William Wrage  a.k.a.  The Frenchman

'I don't have a nifty saying yet, but I'll think of one.....'

US Mail:                               Userid:

134 East Beechwood Estates             IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET
Athens, Ohio  45701
United States of America

>Personally, I don't think it's the software companies or even Apple
>that are trying to let the Apple //s die....  I think it's the guys
>down the street at Vere Smith Audio Visuals (in Athens Ohio 45701),
>that just simply don't give a damn about the series.....

And Apple keeps telling us how much they DEPEND on their dealers...
Some of them (Computer Resources in Wethersfield, CT for example) ARE
supporting Apple (IIgs's and Macs only -- no MesSy DOS boxes in sight).
Half the sales staff started on Apple 2's, so they're as happy selling
IIgs's as Macs -- or at least capable of acting that way.  Look for such
a dealer in your state :-)

>Just venting some frustration.....  And looking for a way to kill that
>store.....

The approved method of doing that is to take your $$$ elsewhere.  Even
Apple will notice if your local dealer sells next to nothing while another
store in some nearby (or not so nearby) small town sells more than its
population warrants.  On the other hand, there are vendors that think
there getting help from ComputerLand :-(

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

abc@BRL.MIL (Brinton Cooper) (08/03/89)

An effective strategy, it seems to me, is:

	1. Buy accessories and software from reputable mail-order
houses.  In most cases, you'll save money.  And you can get what you
want! There's even at least one place that continues to solicit the
business of II+ owners.

	2. Find a good, independent service shop for repairs.  (This is
good advice for car owners, too.)  They're around.  There's even one in
little old Aberdeen, MD!

If this is done on a large scale, Apple will notice that:

	1. Service business is down.

	2. They're delivering increasing quantities of their products
to mail order dealers.

Of course, don't expect a global revolution.  This is exactly the same
problem faced by every one of us who owns a car, and the dealers
continue to be the cheating, lying, incompetent business persons we
all know and love.

_B

mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG (08/04/89)

To add to this thread, I was at my local store the other day (the Tyson's Corner
branch of Clinton Computer), and overheard a sales person directing some high
school students towards the more expensive Macs, from the GS, since if they
were headed off for college, they'd need the power of the Mac, and that while
the II line had lots of games available, it wasn't what they'd need.  Now if
the issue is compatibility, and the college their going to supports Macs, I
would agree 100%.  I advise people to by MS DOS machines if their company
uses only IBM, and the prime issue is compatibility.  I take strong exception
to the arguement that the GS is underpowered for a college student!  I bet
the store finds themselves selling more Macs this way though, then looks at
the sales figures, and decides to place more emphasis on the Mac line!  I like
Macs, and use them at work a lot, but except for the slow speed of the finder
(I don't have 5.0 yet), haven't wished for a Mac at home.

>branch of Clinton Computer), and overheard a sales person directing some high
>school students towards the more expensive Macs, from the GS, since if they
>were headed off for college, they'd need the power of the Mac, and that while

Gee, and for the last six years I've been doing everything I (or most
undergraduates who are not in accounting, finance, or engineering) might
want to do on an unenhanced //e (with an occasional assist from the IBM
mainframe for *really big* number crunching jobs that still would overwhelm
a PS/2 or Mac.  It's a good thing I didn't know I need more power; I might
not have gotten ANYTHING done! ;-)

Having a computer the college "supports" can be convenient, but it's rarely
essential.  Support these days is one (20 hour per week) graduate student
looking after 4 computer labs with 30 systems each (some of us have less
"support" than that).

IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET) (08/05/89)

--
Fidonet:  IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET via 1:363/9
Internet: IRPGMR7@OUACCVMB.BITNET@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

Murph.Sewall@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Murph Sewall) (08/06/89)

--
Fidonet:  Murph Sewall via 1:363/9
Internet: Murph.Sewall@mamab.FIDONET.ORG

dvac@drutx.ATT.COM (Daniel Vachon) (08/11/89)

In article <8908032201.AA05845@mitre.arpa>, mcgurrin@MITRE.MITRE.ORG writes:
> To add to this thread, I was at my local store the other day (the Tyson's Corner
> Now if the issue is compatibility, and the college their going to supports
> Macs, I would agree 100%.  I advise people to by MS DOS machines if their
> company uses only IBM, and the prime issue is compatibility....

The original posting wasn't quite about this, but I wanted to throw this out
in the open here.  I am seeing quite a few people dumping Apple ][ because
they don't agree with Apple's direction with the ][ line.  I see most of them
going to Atari 520ST or Atari 1020ST's.  It appears that the Ataris can
emulate a Mac+, faster than a Mac + can....  Plus there are emulation boards
to go IBM's road too...  I have heard these emulators go for about $100 a
piece....  Now, I have been an Apple ][ addict for about 7 years now.... I
had a ][+ for about 5 of the years, and a Franklin for one, and a couple //e's
the most recent years...  I know I will not buy a //gs because I see Apple
dealers pushing Mac's.  Apple sees mac sales climbing, // sales falling, and
where is the support going to go then....  I don't know, maybe it is just
time to get a different machine anyways.  I have run a BBS for 6 of the 7
years and I see my users starting to fall away from Apple //'s....  Maybe the
time has come...

Later - Dan Vachon - !att!drutx!dvac

p.s.  What does anyone/everyone think about the Atari 520/1020ST's?! Pros/Cons?