[comp.sys.apple] QUESTION: INSTALLING GS/OS WITH RAMKEEPER AND SIDER

stern@maple.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffrey a stern) (08/11/89)

I am attempting to install GS/OS (System Disk 4.0, Finder 1.2) on my
AE RamKeeper.  I also have a Sider 10MG Hard Drive.  It seems that
when I boot up the System Disk from my 3.5" drive, one of two things
will happen:

1)If my AE RamKeeper is in, with the Apple Memory Expansion Card
attached (with 1024K), the only two icons that come up on the finder
are the AEROM and the System.Disk.  It somehow doesn't recognize my
hard drive as there.

2)If my AERamKeeper isn't in, but the Apple Memory Expansion Card is
(with 1024K), icons come up for the System.Disk, Hard1, Hard2 (a
smaller partition on the same hard drive), DEV3.5 (I guess the Apple
3.5" drive itself, even though System.Disk is already up there), and
the AEROM icon for the RamKeeper.

What's going on?  Why does having the AERamKeeper installed prevent
the Finder from recognizing my Sider?

By the way, I have the bootup slot set for slot 5, because the 3.5"
drive is hooked up to the smartport there.  I can also boot from the
hard disk if I want to, by setting the bootup slot to slot 7 or to
scan.  I can also boot from the RamKeeper, if I like, by setting boot
slot to ROM disk.  But my question still revolves around trying to
boot from the system disk in the 3.5" drive at slot five...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.  I called Applied
Engineering, and they have no idea.  Thanks.  Jeff.
-=-
stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet    | "Eppur si muove."       |
osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP        |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
72647,1527              : CompuServe  |                     `   /

In article <57269@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <stern@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>1)If my AE RamKeeper is in, with the Apple Memory Expansion Card
>attached (with 1024K), the only two icons that come up on the finder
>are the AEROM and the System.Disk.  It somehow doesn't recognize my
>hard drive as there.

I think I talked about this here (or somewhere else) a couple of weeks ago.
The old Sider ROMs don't initialize themselves until somebody READs from them,
and when GS/OS generates a driver, it only does a STATUS.  This quirk of not
initalizing on any call causes GS/OS to think it's offline and not to generate
a driver.  The best solution is to contact FCP and get their loaded drivers;
they'll also speed up disk access by about a factor of two.

>2)If my AERamKeeper isn't in, but the Apple Memory Expansion Card is
>(with 1024K), icons come up for the System.Disk, Hard1, Hard2 (a
>smaller partition on the same hard drive), DEV3.5 (I guess the Apple
>3.5" drive itself, even though System.Disk is already up there), and
>the AEROM icon for the RamKeeper.

DEV3.5 is a mystery to me.  Highlight the icon and "Get Info" from the Finder,
and see what it says it is.  3.5" disk *drive* icons do not appear on the
desktop. The presence or absence of the memory card should have nothing to do
with it; it's that someone has already read from the Sider, initalizing it.

>-=-
>stern@cis.ohio-state.edu: Internet    | "Eppur si muove."       |
>osu-cis!tut!stern       : UUCP        |         -Galileo    |:->{===#
>72647,1527              : CompuServe  |                     `   /

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."