[comp.sys.apple] Toolbox Manuals

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (08/10/89)

I just got off the phone to Addison-Wesley. I asked them if they
had any plans to issue updates to the two toolbox manuals. The
answer is, "no," as far as the data base she consulted knew.

She suggested I check with Apple. So the question is, who do I
write, call, or e-mail on this and related questions?

I consider the question important since:

	The two manuals cosist of 700 pages each = 1400 pages.
	APDA offers a book of corrections and it is 225 pages.

Thus we have 225/1400 = 1/7 which means that on the average one
out of seven pages in the official manuals has some
defect/omission. This seems a little high, even for government
work.

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

In article <472@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:
>I just got off the phone to Addison-Wesley. I asked them if they
>had any plans to issue updates to the two toolbox manuals. The
>answer is, "no," as far as the data base she consulted knew.
>
>She suggested I check with Apple. So the question is, who do I
>write, call, or e-mail on this and related questions?

You write or e-mail the Developer Tools group, at mailstop 75-6A, or AppleLink
Apple Edition DEV.TOOLS.

>I consider the question important since:
>
>	The two manuals cosist of 700 pages each = 1400 pages.
>	APDA offers a book of corrections and it is 225 pages.
>
>Thus we have 225/1400 = 1/7 which means that on the average one
>out of seven pages in the official manuals has some
>defect/omission. This seems a little high, even for government
>work.

Yeah, and I bet you can prove 1 + 1 = 1, too.  :)  The Toolbox Reference Update
currently at APDA consists of documentation on four or five tools NOT covered
at all in the hardbound books, since the tools weren't written yet (ACE, Note
Synthesizer, Note Sequencer, MIDI Tools), as well as corrections.

No plans have been announced regarding how we're going to document the new
stuff, but if Macintosh traditions are followed ("Inside Mac"), we'll just add
a Volume Three, or Four, or Five, or however many it takes to document it all.
Each one adds on the old ones, so everyone doesn't have to buy a complete new
set at each revision.

>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IHP 1F-240 (312) 713-5356

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions expressed in this tome
Send PERSONAL mail ONLY (please) to:  | should not be construed to imply that
AppleLink PE: Matt DTS  GEnie: AIIDTS | Apple Computer, Inc., or any of its
CompuServe: 76703,3030                | subsidiaries, in whole or in part,
Usenet:  mattd@apple.com              | have any opinion on any subject."
UUCP:  (other stuff)!ames!apple!mattd | "So there."