[comp.sys.apple] Sider Woes!

kirk@pro-realm.UUCP (Kirk Kamberg) (08/07/89)

My Sider has decided to start having disk errors. I ran Mr. Fixit, and it
found 100+ bad blocks. Ok...that's fine. But..over the past three days, the
errors have increased. I ran Mr. Fixit again and it found 100+ MORE bad
blocks! At the rate that this is going, my HD will be full of bad block errors
in a couple months. I need help! Any suggestions?

+============================================================================+
ProLine: kirk@pro-realm                BITNET: kirk%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk   ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk@nosc.mil
+============================================================================+

lhaider@pro-sol.cts.com (Lawrence Haider) (08/09/89)

-->
My Sider has decided to start having disk errors. I ran Mr. Fixit, and it
found 100+ bad blocks. Ok...that's fine. But..over the past three days, the
errors have increased. I ran Mr. Fixit again and it found 100+ MORE bad
blocks! At the rate that this is going, my HD will be full of bad block errors
in a couple months. I need help! Any suggestions?

+============================================================================+

Yep.  Try formatting the hard drive, then zeroing it.  I had the same problem
crop up on a number of my 3.5" disks and it worked every time!  I know its not
exactly the same thing, but I doubt that the bad blocks are caused by physical
destruction of the drive surface.  Oh, yes, reformat after zeroing and see how
it works :)   Anyone else have a less convoluted solution?

                                        Laer
lhaider@pro-sol

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (08/11/89)

Comment to message from: pro-realm!kirk@pnet01.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg)

Kirk Kamberg writes:

> My Sider has decided to start having disk errors. I ran Mr. Fixit, and it
> found 100+ bad blocks. Ok...that's fine. But..over the past three days, the
> errors have increased. I ran Mr. Fixit again and it found 100+ MORE bad
> blocks! At the rate that this is going, my HD will be full of bad block errors
> in a couple months. I need help! Any suggestions?

Kirk, you had better make a backup of your hard disk quickly.  Whenever I have
seen a growing number of bad blocks, it has usually been caused by a head
crash that has damaged the surface and head.  It will probably continue to get
worse as more of the surface becomes damaged.  You will probably soon need to
be replacing the internal drive unit or get a whole new hard disk unit.  So
you had better get a back up of your data now.

You could try to do a low level re-format to bypass bad areas on the disk.
That might help a little if the damage is locallized.

Sam
----
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.com}
                        ...!crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-nsfmat!pro-europa!SamT@nosc.mil
INET: SamT@pro-europa.cts.com - BITNET: pro-europa.uucp!SamT@psuvax1