[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS v5.0 problems

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (08/06/89)

        Howzit!

        Got another GS/OS system disk v5.0 problem.  First, I am running it from a 1024K /ram5.  The only way I could even get it to run from here was to format the ramdisk with the Finder, then use the installer to move all the system files to the ramdisk.

        Then I transfered ALL my cda/nda's (I LIKE this :) ) to the desk.accs folder.  I did NOT xfer any icon files though (having read of possible probs).

        Now the problem.  After running a P8 application (anything) and exiting, the Finder starts to run, but then crashes with a:

        "Finder icon files can't be found.
	 Error number $/0002"

        Anyone have any ideas what's going wrong and how to fix it?

        Mahalo in advance, Jack

dlyons@Apple.COM (David Lyons) (08/09/89)

In article <8908060506.AA06743@trout.nosc.mil> jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) writes:
>[...]
>Now the problem.  After running a P8 application (anything) and exiting, the
>Finder starts to run, but then crashes with a:
>
>        "Finder icon files can't be found.
>	 Error number $/0002"

Interesting...at that point, if you reboot and look in your */Icons folder,
is the Finder.Icons file still there, or not?  (I'm assuming you can reboot
without losing the RAMdisk entirely, which I don't actually know.)  And this
*doesn't* happen when you launch a 16-bit application and return to the Finder?

Is your RAMdisk "slinky" type, or is it memory-based so that files on the
RAMdisk could be damaged if some code stomps on memory it doesn't own?

Have you tried removing some/all of your NDAs?  (DAs do get control briefly
when you enter or exit a 16-bit app that supports NDAs, and when you switch
between GS/OS and P8, so there's the opportunity for them to mess up memory
by accident, including your RAMdisk if it's in the main memory map.)

 --Dave Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.          |   DAL Systems
   AppleLink--Apple Edition: DAVE.LYONS      |   P.O. Box 875
   AppleLink--Personal Edition: Dave Lyons   |   Cupertino, CA 95015-0875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

jlai@pro-sol.cts.com (Jack Lai) (08/13/89)

Network Comment: to #9777 by dlyons@apple.com

        Howzit!

        Yes, the Icons files are still there, and I am using a 1.5meg GS-Ram
card from AE that does not reset when I hot-start it.  And this does not
happen with a 16-bit application...

        Got me lost... Latas, Jack
|  Jack S. Lai    | "Some people never learn anything because they understand | |  jlai@pro-sol   |  everything too soon" - Alexander Pope                    |